U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,130 times

Advertisements

My company is relocating me to DC but Ive finally found a place in Arlington. I was wondering what are my chances of find someone in Arlington. And where can I go to meet them?...

Has any one found their 'other' in arlington as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 11:54 PM

413 posts, read 1,043,046 times
Where in Arlington are you living? How much money are you gonna make?

Are you ugly?

The first two correspondingly intertwine. A proportional amount of people here are well-educated. Money doesn't mean everything but hey it doesn't hurt when you're going up against others. Some parts of Arlington like Clarendon/Ballston area are a beacon for young professionals freshly minted from college; 22-30 crowd.

If you can't find quality there then it's probably a YOU problem. Hence my inquisition about your attractive level.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:24 AM

2,879 posts, read 6,823,760 times
Back in 2006, I met a Nursing Professor out in front of 7-11. She was putting the coin in the pay scale out front to weigh herself. As I walked by, I guessed her weight (in her language) 48 Kilograms, 106 pounds. She must of thought it was real cute, because she took my number, and called me before I was even home. It worked out good. But hey wait a minute. That was Chiang Mai, Thailand, and you're talking about Arlington. First I doubt that 7-11s have scales in front. Secondly, if you blurted out "172" or something like that, you might a) be arrested b) get hit upside your head. Something to think about, though.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:25 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,690,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Back in 2006, I met a Nursing Professor out in front of 7-11. She was putting the coin in the pay scale out front to weigh herself. As I walked by, I guessed her weight (in her language) 48 Kilograms, 106 pounds. She must of thought it was real cute, because she took my number, and called me before I was even home. It worked out good. But hey wait a minute. That was Chiang Mai, Thailand, and you're talking about Arlington. First I doubt that 7-11s have scales in front. Secondly, if you blurted out "172" or something like that, you might a) be arrested b) get hit upside your head. Something to think about, though.

Too Funny! Nice to see a sense of humor here!

Arlington is just like any place, you just have to get out there. Of course I have been married 20 years..and met my husband in a bar..people thought it wouldn't last!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:22 AM

15,938 posts, read 36,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
back in 2006, i met a nursing professor out in front of 7-11. She was putting the coin in the pay scale out front to weigh herself. As i walked by, i guessed her weight (in her language) 48 kilograms, 106 pounds. She must of thought it was real cute, because she took my number, and called me before i was even home. It worked out good. But hey wait a minute. That was chiang mai, thailand, and you're talking about arlington. First i doubt that 7-11s have scales in front. Secondly, if you blurted out "172" or something like that, you might a) be arrested b) get hit upside your head. Something to think about, though.
lol

As a person who lives in Asia...pretty much true as well. (Not that it matters, I'm married anyhow).

Old 10-26-2010, 06:35 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoniansox View Post
Has any one found their 'other' in arlington as well?
I met my husband in Arlington, but it was two decades ago, so I'm not sure that's much help. We both belonged to a church singles group.

IMO, your chances of meeting someone in Arlington are as good as your chances of meeting someone in any other city with lots of young singles. Some people find dates easily, others don't. It's mostly a matter of luck and (to some degree) your personal characteristics. As far as places to go, there are a lot of good suggestions in this thread:

Recommendations/suggestions on where in NOVA are good places for the straight male love-shy to find nice girls?

Good luck, and remember you're most likely to make new friends when you don't try too hard.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:16 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,559,900 times
Just because you live in Arlington doesn't mean your future SO will. My friends who have met boyfriends/girlfriends since college met them by participating in activities. One played kickball with friends on the mall, and was introduced. Another went line dancing in Alexandria. A third met at a bar prep class the summer after law school. The majority were introduced through friends of friends from work or met online.

If you are proactive and social, you will likely find someone. If you go to work, come home, and bemoan the fact that you're lonely, you probably won't.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:38 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,609,248 times
Sure you can. I met my husband 10 years ago in Arlington through a Catholic singles group. We got engaged in 5 months and married 8 months after the engagement. Two kids later, we have been happily married for 9 years. He thought he would be in DC for 6 months and return to his home state (WA). Instead, he went home for the holidays to put everything in storage and his house up for sale to relocate to DC permanently.

You can meet people anywhere in the DC metro area. Although my dating experience is somewhat dated, I don't think some things have changed much. Finding nice people to date in DC wasn't hard--finding someone who didn't make career the number one priority was.

I agree with what the PPs have said about being social and open. Try not to view dating as solely a means to a long-term relationship or marriage. You can learn a lot about yourself and others through dating. But I think in the end, you need love, commitment and compatibility to make it work. GL

Old 10-26-2010, 08:52 AM

5,412 posts, read 3,462,127 times
Be very outgoing, be funny, be high status, be wealthy, and you should have no problem.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:06 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,789,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Be very outgoing, be funny, be high status, be wealthy, and you should have no problem.
LOL, although you don't need to be high status or wealthy, IMO. (Of course, it won't hurt!)

Being funny works... and so does being the person who laughs at other people's jokes. A date who's an appreciative audience is a wonderful thing, indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia