U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 08:05 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,558,806 times

Advertisements

I know, it's not even November yet, but I'm starting to plan and budget for Christmas, and wanted to work this in.

Has anyone else in the area participated in an adopt-a-family for the holidays type program? For the past few years, my husband and I have sponsored children in the foster care program in DC, and bought them clothes/toys for Christmas.

Children's Law Center of DC: Children's Law Center :: Family. Health. Education :: Children's Law Center's Holiday Hope Drive (http://www.childrenslawcenter.org/get-involved/Hope-Drive - broken link)

This year though, I was looking at doing something in my immediate community. Has anyone participated in any of the following programs?

Our Daily Bread (Fairfax County): Holiday Program (http://www.our-daily-bread.org/Holiday_Program.html - broken link)

Arlington/Alexandria Coalition for the Homeless: AACH

Does anyone know of any others? It'd be great if we could get a list going of places to donate to or volunteer with this season.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:08 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,842,977 times
Thanks for sharing this! I don't know of any to add to your list, but I hope others do.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,729,139 times
This is a really good list and contains many that have adopt a family programs

Helping During the Holidays (washingtonpost.com)

Old 10-27-2010, 11:48 AM

Great link, Middlin--thanks!

Old 10-27-2010, 11:58 AM

660 posts, read 1,499,519 times
I've already contacted a few friends about doing the Arlington/Alexandria Coalition for the Homeless program. Thanks for the link!

Old 10-27-2010, 01:49 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,778,134 times
Not around here but a good friend of mine in NYC participated in one that their office sponsored. I can't remember which group but each employee who was interested in participating sponsored a child and bought gifts for that kid. It was helpful because they knew the gender and age of the child. They had a Holiday Party for the families where the children met the employees (who sponsored them). Quite a nice gesture.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:01 PM

179 posts, read 424,833 times
There is also Borromeo Housing | What We Do | Mission (http://www.borromeohousing.org/what/mission/ - broken link) they run Elizabeth House in Arlington.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Not around here but a good friend of mine in NYC participated in one that their office sponsored. I can't remember which group but each employee who was interested in participating sponsored a child and bought gifts for that kid. It was helpful because they knew the gender and age of the child. They had a Holiday Party for the families where the children met the employees (who sponsored them). Quite a nice gesture.
The Children's Law Center was great about that. They actually gave us a wish list for each of our children. It had their clothing/shoe sizes, as well as a couple gifts they requested. (The older children/teens tended to just list their favorite stores for gift cards). The lawyers/social workers also provided a few sentences about the kids' living situation, and what their interests were.

We never met the kids though--I think they did that on purpose, to keep the kids anonymous. The older ones especially probably don't want to advertise that they are charity cases. I do wish I had gotten to see "my" kiddos unwrap their gifts though--I was super excited about them!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:56 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,778,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
The Children's Law Center was great about that. They actually gave us a wish list for each of our children. It had their clothing/shoe sizes, as well as a couple gifts they requested. (The older children/teens tended to just list their favorite stores for gift cards). The lawyers/social workers also provided a few sentences about the kids' living situation, and what their interests were.

We never met the kids though--I think they did that on purpose, to keep the kids anonymous. The older ones especially probably don't want to advertise that they are charity cases. I do wish I had gotten to see "my" kiddos unwrap their gifts though--I was super excited about them!
This sounds like the one I mentioned. I do remember now that they did have a wish list, that they did have the kids' clothing sizes, or if they needed something badly (i.e., a backpack). I'm not sure if the employees introduced themselves to their assigned child or remained anonymous at the Holiday Party; I think everyone was just pleased to celebrate and watch the kid open their gifts.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:13 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,586,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I know, it's not even November yet, but I'm starting to plan and budget for Christmas, and wanted to work this in.

This year though, I was looking at doing something in my immediate community. Has anyone participated in any of the following programs?

Our Daily Bread (Fairfax County): Holiday Program (http://www.our-daily-bread.org/Holiday_Program.html - broken link)

Does anyone know of any others? It'd be great if we could get a list going of places to donate to or volunteer with this season.
I have been involved with referring families to Our Daily Bread (ODB) as well as our school adopting families. ODB works as the main "clearinghouse" in Fairfax Co for referrals from schools. They take the names for all, to avoid duplicate referrals, then divide them up to the local groups nearer where the family lives (such as FISH, Reston Interfaith, etc.). I'm familiar with Western Fairfax Christian Ministries (WFCM) which covers the Chantilly/Centreville, Clifton, Fairfax Station and zip 22033 areas of the county. Last year this group provided baskets for over 1300 families during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Needless to say, they anticipate more this year. To learn more about it, go to their website, to the school link, Welcome to WFCM! and there is a contact name and number. They can also provide you with a suggested list of what to include in the basket. Thank you for thiniking of this, and it's not too early at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or