U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,430 times

Advertisements

Looking for feedback from parents with kids who attend or have recently attended these schools. We are considering both of these for our 2nd grader. We've checked GreatSchools.com ratings and toured both to check them out for ourselves and they are very different from each other.

If you have experience with sending children to these schools, we'd be interested to hear your feedback.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 10:13 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,563,765 times
Are you Catholic or Protestant? That would be the major determinant for me.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,395 times
Immanuel is wonderful. We send our 4-year old to Immanuel's Jr Kindergarten. She absolutely loves it, and is clearly learning a lot (the other day she shared with us everything she learned about Ancient Greece and the Trojan War at school). For your money, it's probably the best education around (the tuition is very competitive).

Old 10-28-2010, 11:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,383 times
Default Immanuel is an exceptional school

We have a son in 4th grade at Immanuel --he has been there since Kindergarten. Immanuel's classical curriculum is very impressive --and really sets it apart from other schools. There is an emphasis on "great books" of classical literature (in 2nd grade your child will be reading many of the classics); class size is small by design (usually around 15 per class). The curriculum is very rich and accelerated. My son was already familiar with Mozart, Vivaldi, Monet and Van Gogh by the time he finished Kindergarten. He had also already studied the Romans and Egyptians. There is an emphasis on literacy and language as foundation of learning at Immanuel. Latin starts in 3rd grade --and the kids really take to it at that age, and do amazingly well. The math curriculum (Saxon) is also terrific -- a no-nonsense "real" math program. Religious instruction is also superb. I strongly suggest that you arrange to visit/sit-in on classes at any school you are considering for your child. That told me everything I needed to know!

Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,376 times
This is our second year at Immanuel. We have tried lots of different schools: home school, public and private. From our experience, Immanuel is the best school around because of it's classical education/curriculum, the teachers who truly care for your children, the values they learn, and the fellowship of the parents and church. I have a son in 5th and a daughter in 3rd. They like it - and that says a lot!

Old 11-07-2010, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,302 times
We have two children in Immanuel and have been very pleased with our decision to transfer there (and wish we had done so earlier). This is our second year at the school and our children are in the 2nd and 4th grades. The environment is very wholesome and the academics are superior. Our children are being challenged and thriving under the classical curriculum. I would recommend that you observe the 2nd grade class in session as it really helps to see the materials they use. Saxon Math, Spalding Spelling, and Shurley Grammar were new to us and I am always impressed by their clear, concise, and logical approach. Latin was one of the main draws for us when we were considering the school. The Lutheran faith provides a very strong foundation for the school, and we all benefit from its daily presence in the classroom and in all that the school does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia