Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2007, 11:44 AM

254 posts, read 790,178 times

Advertisements

We might be moving from TX to Winchester due to my husband's work. Would greatly appreciate any information as to where we can find a decent and reasonable place to live. Houses where I live right now is still affordable but the property taxes,car insurance are ridiculously high! I saw some new houses for $214G, I wonder if that's decent? Hopefully, Winchester is a good move for us! Any info would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 09:20 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,887,311 times
winchester is a nice area and still has pretty affordable housing options. But remember we have a state income tax. So even though we have lower real estate taxes than alot of TX the taxes as a whole are pretty much a wash. (the state gets your money one way or the other!)

A big plus for you is if your husbands work is in winchester then you can live right there and not deal with the bad commute that most of NoVA faces.

Where in Texas are you moving from?

Old 08-02-2007, 08:36 PM

Default thanks

thanks so much for responding. we're moving from el paso,tx (border town). i guess one of the factors motivating us to move, even if the houses are a bit more expensive is maybe, and hopefully, the quality of life is much better. i hope we're right.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,911 times
Nixau,

Where will you and your husband be working? Winchester is a bit of trek, but if you can handle the drive, it will probably suit your needs. There are new homes in Winchester in the upper $100Ks also. Another benefit to living in Winchester is lot size. Because it's not as heavily developed as most areas in Northern VA, the lots are a little bigger. In the area where I live, we have 3800 sq ft houses on .10 sized lots, but that works for me. I'm a single mom and not a fan of yard work!

Anyway, that price you gave in your post is actually is a good price. If you travel up the road a piece, the prices are two or three times that for new construction.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:35 PM

Default thanks

Thanks for replying. He'll be working in Front Royal but we checked the area and it seems (and hope) that Winchester might be better for us, mostly in terms of the prices of the homes and some say the school district. We have a child who will be starting middle school so that's also one thing we have to consider. We will more than likely make sure that the school district is good as well (aside from being able to afford the house). We checked new housing developments e.g. Wild Acres & Shawneeland, any feedback on those? Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:28 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,911 times
Nixau,

I've never lived in Winchester, but it's beautiful there. You have all the conveniences of a more urban area, but in a more rural setting. I've driven through Shawneeland just to look around. One time I saw a mother black bear and two cubs eating on the side of the road. That may be scary to some people but I was in awe. Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia