Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,660 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new to this site and just found out about it when I was looking at some houses.

I'm a young male in his early 20th's who recently moved to NOVA last year. After graduating from college I had the unfortunate experience of not being able to find a job in PA where I grew up. I found a job in the Fair Lakes area and was at first living with a friend in Herndon. A half a year ago he bought his own house in Bristow and moved with him.

My problem is that it feels like there is nothing to do in the Bristow area. All of the people that seem to live there are young families that are settling down. Because of work and I'm guessing where I live.... I haven't met many girls at all in this area around my age. I'm kind of getting sick living in Bristow and I would rather be putting money into an investment.

I've been saving my money recently and have been looking for a house or condo. I'm not sure where to look though. I'd like to have a place in a safe area but I'd like there to be at least some single life, it seems non-existent where I am. I'm not sure whether I should be ready to buy a house or just rent.

I'm not the biggest fan of commutes. A commute of about 30 minutes at the most is preferable. I start work at 2:00 PM, so I won't usually run into traffic.

(I'm recovering from a recent surgery, so I realize that is hurting me getting out.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,997 times
Arlington, East Falls Church, D.C.

I live in Loudoun County right now (Ashburn to be exact), and I'm convinced there are like 4 other people in my age range (19-25) within a 10 mile radius... LOL.

You can always take the Orange Line into Arlington/D.C. for some late night fun, but it's not so fun coming back when you've had a few drinks in you

EDIT: Fairfax (the city) has a pretty good amount of twentysomethings too, I've heard.

Last edited by RiotAct41; 10-25-2010 at 09:56 PM..

Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
I'd suggest Reston Town center but I'm sure others here will disagree. But RTC does have a lot of young people and some very nice condos within walking distance.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaeffy View Post
Hello, I'm new to this site and just found out about it when I was looking at some houses.

I'm a young male in his early 20th's who recently moved to NOVA last year. After graduating from college I had the unfortunate experience of not being able to find a job in PA where I grew up. I found a job in the Fair Lakes area and was at first living with a friend in Herndon. A half a year ago he bought his own house in Bristow and moved with him.

My problem is that it feels like there is nothing to do in the Bristow area. All of the people that seem to live there are young families that are settling down. Because of work and I'm guessing where I live.... I haven't met many girls at all in this area around my age. I'm kind of getting sick living in Bristow and I would rather be putting money into an investment.

I've been saving my money recently and have been looking for a house or condo. I'm not sure where to look though. I'd like to have a place in a safe area but I'd like there to be at least some single life, it seems non-existent where I am. I'm not sure whether I should be ready to buy a house or just rent.

I'm not the biggest fan of commutes. A commute of about 30 minutes at the most is preferable. I start work at 2:00 PM, so I won't usually run into traffic.

(I'm recovering from a recent surgery, so I realize that is hurting me getting out.)
Another real estate question with no price paremeters.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
If you've already been here a year, surely you already know (better than we would) what areas you like. Also, how can we suggest a town to buy a house if we don't know what kind of budget you have?

Personally, I think it's wise to rent until you're in your late 20s (or, until you get married or start having kids). The reason is, your life circumstances and tastes can change quite a bit in your young 20s. Too many singles buy a place, then meet their spouse (who, of course, always seems to need to live in another part of town) and they have to sell right away. Or, they love-love-LOVE one part of town at age 24, but in a few years find out they've outgrown it.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:12 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
If you've already been here a year, surely you already know (better than we would) what areas you like. Also, how can we suggest a town to buy a house if we don't know what kind of budget you have?

Personally, I think it's wise to rent until you're in your late 20s (or, until you get married or start having kids). The reason is, your life circumstances and tastes can change quite a bit in your young 20s. Too many singles buy a place, then meet their spouse (who, of course, always seems to need to live in another part of town) and they have to sell right away. Or, they love-love-LOVE one part of town at age 24, but in a few years find out they've outgrown it.
Or they buy and then about a year later your company asks you to transfer to a completely different area of the country and you need to sell.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,660 times
Sorry I should have included a budget. I'm guessing my budget might be extremely low for this area but it is I believe probably around $225,000.

Because of work circumstances I could never take off easily. I work from 2:00 - 10:00 PM and until recently I could never take a Friday off which really limited me from enjoying any night life. None of the places I have lived so far in this area I have liked.

Also about the potential for work to relocate. My workplace might decide to move us all to Washington DC near American University in a year or more, but right now that is still up in arms. I might not even elect to go with them and instead find a better job. I figured if I did move to DC and I couldn't sell the house right away, I could probably just rent to a tenant.

Last edited by Schaeffy; 10-26-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 01:36 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

GREAT advice! So very true.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:20 AM

19 posts, read 50,212 times
your young so why rush into buying a place. if you arent sure of your plans within a year. then id say to just rent and look around for a home if you still really want to buy a house.

My suggestion is that you should go out to DC or Arlington.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:43 PM

33 posts, read 68,003 times
Default Fh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaeffy View Post
Sorry I should have included a budget. I'm guessing my budget might be extremely low for this area but it is I believe probably around $225,000.

Because of work circumstances I could never take off easily. I work from 2:00 - 10:00 PM and until recently I could never take a Friday off which really limited me from enjoying any night life. None of the places I have lived so far in this area I have liked.

Also about the potential for work to relocate. My workplace might decide to move us all to Washington DC near American University in a year or more, but right now that is still up in arms. I might not even elect to go with them and instead find a better job. I figured if I did move to DC and I couldn't sell the house right away, I could probably just rent to a tenant.
You should be able to find a two bedroom condo in the fair lakes area for that price if you are desperate to own a place - condo's built in the 1990's. Why don't you postpone your home buying plans and try arlington for an year since an area with young crowd is extremely important to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia