U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:57 PM

8,772 posts, read 10,677,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
Keynesianism is fine and dandy in theory, but funny how it never works in the real world.
If you follow krugman, you will see that Keynsianism explains the behavior of markets lately pretty well.

Of course if you give too small a dose of something that works, you wont see the effects.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:00 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
What do I have against the military? How about the fact that DoD is a gigantic drain on everyone's tax dollars? I thought conservatives wanted to reduce the budget, but I guess that doesn't extend to reducing the budget of the largest consumer of federal funds.

Playing catch up? You mean by instantly getting a thousand bonus points bidding on any federal contract? By being impossible to fire once they enter the private sector? Yeah, it's really rough being a disabled veteran. Way harder than being a former slaughterhouse worker with one hand, or a blind teacher.
And your true colors emerge.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:02 PM

6,555 posts, read 10,846,462 times
Wife and I voted via absentee ballot since we're heading to New Orleans tomorrow. First time I've had to vote this way.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Sure, if we could wave a magic wand and have them magically appear I'd love to see more of them, too. But, to be honest, once we finish the metro lines that have already been started I'm done with planning or building any more for quite some time.

I will agree that we have a number of projects that have already been approved that need to be completed. So I guess I can see the wisdom of putting most future projects on hold until we finish the ones we have already approved.

At the same time, I'd like to see funds freed up so we can finish those projects already in the pipeline sooner rather than later.
Given the time scales for planning and approval, I think we should definitely continue planning on such things as LR to Fort belvoir, Orange Line to Centerville, and VRE extensions. And Rte 1 Crystal City Alex LRT. Columbia Pike LRT, IIUC, is pretty well planned out, and should then move on to construction. (all of which, BTW, are not going into quiet semi rural areas, but to areas with significant density, whether we build transit or not)

I think thought should start to be given on how to connect the Md Purple line with the expanded bus transit we will have on the beltway HOT lanes. And on the possible need for a new metro tunnel to DC.

Of course these things arent done with a wave of a wand. If they were they wouldnt create jobs It also is why its good to do when there are lots of contractors and subcontractors available.

oh, and we shouldnt ignore the benefits of high quality frequent bus service. WHEN the HOT lanes are complete, NoVa bus service will, IIUC be completely realigned. We should do what we can to leverage that opportunity in support of less auto reliant communities.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:23 PM

147 posts, read 367,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
If you follow krugman, you will see that Keynsianism explains the behavior of markets lately pretty well.
How is it at explaining why corporate America is sitting on billions in cash right now instead of pumping it into the economy?

If Krugman is such a fantastic prognosticator (as opposed to an extreme left alarmist when predicting the future and a revisionist when discussing the past), then I'd better stock up on canned goods and batteries, since his latest idiocy has the U.S. heading into a new dark age after next Tuesday's elections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Of course if you give too small a dose of something that works, you wont see the effects.
Ah yes, the "it didn't work because we didn't spend enough" defense.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:34 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,782,683 times
Agreed, those are all nice projects. I'm especially interested in building the bus service, myself. At the same time, as nice as those ideas are they have to be paid for. I don't think you'll find much interest in funding any more projects. It's hard enough to get funds for the projects already in the pipeline (hence the reason I worry about this rainy day fund amendment, even though a part of me thinks it's a great idea).

I also think a lot of people are waiting to see how well the Silver Line does before we talk about future rail projects. If it gets a huge number of riders, that might make voters more interested in it.

But articles like this make me think the interest isn't there.

Metro loses more than a million riders on bus, rail | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Metro-loses-millions-of-riders-on-bus_-rail-1073871-104179823.html - broken link)

Old 10-29-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
How is it at explaining why corporate America is sitting on billions in cash right now instead of pumping it into the economy?

If Krugman is such a fantastic prognosticator (as opposed to an extreme left alarmist when predicting the future and a revisionist when discussing the past), then I'd better stock up on canned goods and batteries, since his latest idiocy has the U.S. heading into a new dark age after next Tuesday's elections..
he has a Nobel in Economics, not in political punditry. I read him as such.

Quote:
Ah yes, the "it didn't work because we didn't spend enough" defense.
It DID work to keep things from being as bad as they would have become. Krugman and many others warned that it was too small, for the size of the wave sweeping over the economy. Whether you measure it by the size of the RE debacle, the amount of private sector deleveraging, or just the negative stimulus from cuts in state and local govts.

Lets say you had three doctors. All three said you are on the point of death. One said antibiotics dont work. One said they do, a modest dose will do. The third said they do work, but that a modest dose will keep you from dying, and a big dose is whats needed to get back on your feet. The "consensus" is to give you a small dose, and that is what you are given. And then, what do you know, your vital signs improve, it becomes clear you wont die, but you are still pretty under the weather. Do you A. Think this proves the case of the guy who said anti biotics dont work or B. The case of the guy who said you needed a bigger dose?

Old 10-29-2010, 01:48 PM

23,570 posts, read 33,297,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Spoken by a true liberal. What do you have against the military? These men and women go into the military making far less than many of us in the private industry. They stay anywhere from a few years and sometimes up to 20 plus years. They'll never get rich serving and playing catch up when they get out and start another career is highly unlikely. They've given of themselves in ways you and others never have to. I believe this is a small token we can give back to our disabled vets.
You may want to add that some of these vets only have a HS education to fall back on and their best option to put food on the table is physical labor. One of my uncles got tore up by shrapnel in Vietnam and still feels the effects of it these days. He had to fight Vets Affairs tooth-and-nail to get benefits. If he didn't get his benefits, blue-collar labor is off the table for him.

If our government is going to start wars over dumb they better be prepared to take care of the vets who volunteer to fight these pointless wars. I applaud Virginia for trying to do something for the disabled vets.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Agreed, those are all nice projects. I'm especially interested in building the bus service, myself. At the same time, as nice as those ideas are they have to be paid for. I don't think you'll find much interest in funding any more projects. It's hard enough to get funds for the projects already in the pipeline (hence the reason I worry about this rainy day fund amendment, even though a part of me thinks it's a great idea).
I think the two light rail projects have fairly serious commitments from the local govts (given their development enabling focus, I am not surprised) They will have to get in line for FTA new starts money. I surely hope congress is not so short sighted as to make dramatic cuts in that.

"I also think a lot of people are waiting to see how well the Silver Line does before we talk about future rail projects. If it gets a huge number of riders, that might make voters more interested in it. "

Again, the time frame for these things militates against that. Silver line is not to be finished till 2013. Arlington wants Columbia Pike LRT by 2016. I think that necessitates getting at least the engineering done before 2013.

Metro loses more than a million riders on bus, rail | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Metro-loses-millions-of-riders-on-bus_-rail-1073871-104179823.html - broken link)[/quote]

Amazingly transit ridership is sensitive to fares, and to economic conditions. However Metro rail is still quite crowded, and IIUC has historically high ridership levels. If you want to investigate the ridership projections for the silver line, you can. IIUC FTA has refined procedures for new starts ridership projections and they are far better than they were 20 years ago. IIUC FTA does NOT establish standards for ridership projections relative to fare increases.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:55 PM

I think the two light rail projects have fairly serious commitments from the local govts (given their development enabling focus, I am not surprised) They will have to get in line for FTA new starts money. I surely hope congress is not so short sighted as to make dramatic cuts in that.

"I also think a lot of people are waiting to see how well the Silver Line does before we talk about future rail projects. If it gets a huge number of riders, that might make voters more interested in it. "

Again, the time frame for these things militates against that. Silver line is not to be finished till 2013. Arlington wants Columbia Pike LRT by 2016. I think that necessitates getting at least the engineering done before 2013.

Quote:

Metro loses more than a million riders on bus, rail | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Metro-loses-millions-of-riders-on-bus_-rail-1073871-104179823.html - broken link)
Amazingly transit ridership is sensitive to fares, and to economic conditions. However Metro rail is still quite crowded, and IIUC has historically high ridership levels. If you want to investigate the ridership projections for the silver line, you can. IIUC FTA has refined procedures for new starts ridership projections and they are far better than they were 20 years ago. IIUC FTA does NOT establish standards for ridership projections relative to fare increases
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia