Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 02:55 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,509,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
What do I have against the military? How about the fact that DoD is a gigantic drain on everyone's tax dollars? I thought conservatives wanted to reduce the budget, but I guess that doesn't extend to reducing the budget of the largest consumer of federal funds.

Playing catch up? You mean by instantly getting a thousand bonus points bidding on any federal contract? By being impossible to fire once they enter the private sector? Yeah, it's really rough being a disabled veteran. Way harder than being a former slaughterhouse worker with one hand, or a blind teacher.
Okay, I agree that the DOD is too big for its britches and needs to cut some civilian personnel and tighten the budget.

It sounds like your fight should be aimed at the folks in the Capitol not the folks who went to Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:58 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,501,818 times
"Agreed, those are all nice projects. I'm especially interested in building the bus service, myself. "

The HOT lanes are of course already under construction. Bus service merely needs to be aligned to take maximum advantage of them (though building more bus infrastructure - possible a bus transit center at NoVa CC Annandale, comparable to Shirlington - would be nice)

LR to Ft Belvoir - I havent followed this that closely, but IIUC some folks think its not just nice, but essential to avoid post-BRAC gridlock.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:07 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,948,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
If our government is going to start wars over dumb they better be prepared to take care of the vets who volunteer to fight these pointless wars. I applaud Virginia for trying to do something for the disabled vets.
I agree. I'm voting for it.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:10 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,948,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"I also think a lot of people are waiting to see how well the Silver Line does before we talk about future rail projects. If it gets a huge number of riders, that might make voters more interested in it. "

Again, the time frame for these things militates against that. Silver line is not to be finished till 2013. Arlington wants Columbia Pike LRT by 2016. I think that necessitates getting at least the engineering done before 2013.
It'll be interesting to see if that happens. I'm not convinced that voting on the third amendment will affect the Columbia Pike LRT. If it does, too bad. I'd rather have a strong rainy day fund.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:20 PM

147 posts, read 408,810 times
Quote:
he has a Nobel in Economics
And we all know how credible a Nobel is. Ahem, Obaba. Ahem, ahem, Arafat.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It'll be interesting to see if that happens. I'm not convinced that voting on the third amendment will affect the Columbia Pike LRT. If it does, too bad. I'd rather have a strong rainy day fund.

Oh, I didnt suggest voting against the third amendment. It doesnt even read to me like it REQUIREs a larger rainy day fund, but enables it. I could be wrong.

As for Columbia Pike LRT, it may not get done by 2016. I just dont think that delaying even the start of engineering to 2013 is a good idea. It certainly would be a shame if these projects get underway right when the economy is well along in recovery and skilled construction labor, etc is at a premium.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
And we all know how credible a Nobel is. Ahem, Obaba. Ahem, ahem, Arafat.
Krugmans expertise is clearly in economics, and not in political punditry. Are you disputing that? I'm not sure what the foibles of Peace Prize winners has to do with that.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:21 PM

147 posts, read 408,810 times
Quote:
Krugmans expertise is clearly in economics, and not in political punditry. Are you disputing that? I'm not sure what the foibles of Peace Prize winners has to do with that.
Okay, valid point. However, John Nash won the economics Nobel too, but I wouldn't trust him to run a national economy (probably more than Krugman though). Just because Krugman may have some unique expertise in New Trade Theory doesn't make that clown a defacto expert in all things economic.

Since you want to use the Nobel as a benchmark, if Keynesian is the be-all, end-all, absolute correct school, then how come the Nobel has gone to economists who subscribe to non-Keynesian schools of thought?

Old 10-30-2010, 08:41 AM

8,968 posts, read 21,048,353 times
Good morning!

While the original topics in this thread were certainly well-intentioned and relevant to NOVA, it appears that it has drifted to issues that, while related physical buildings might be here, are generally decided across the Potomac. As a reminder, national political issues are more appropriate to discuss on the Political and Other Controversies or Great Debates forums. It's unfortunate that such reminders have increased here in recent weeks.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia