Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 08:36 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times

Advertisements

Wow, my street's really going all out this year. I've never seen so many of the houses putting up orange lights, tombstones, big fuzzy spiders, and (of course!) spider webs on all the bushes. We've gone Halloween crazy!

What's your street like? Lots of decorations? Lots of pumpkins but not too many other decorations? Or nothing at all?

Also, are people carving/painting pumpkins this year or just putting them out on the steps in their natural state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 01:15 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
This is our first Halloween in Winchester and people seemed pretty festive in our neighborhood. Lots of decorations, cobwebs, headstones, a couple of giant ghouls, etc. Most of the businesses downtown are decorated too. The pumpkins I've seen so far are "natural" and placed on stairs, front porches, etc. Pumpkins are really affordable here. I've seen big ones selling for $3-$4. I actually bypassed buying pumpkins in NJ this year b/c they're priced lower here.

We usually eat our pumpkins after Halloween. So I'm not carving mine this year. I do have those Halloween bags (like the ones they use in the SW) with lights in them. Lots of lights on the front porch and I'll have blood-curdling music playing. Didn't put some things up this year like the bloody brains and Caution police tape.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:27 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
This is our first Halloween in Winchester and people seemed pretty festive in our neighborhood. Lots of decorations, cobwebs, headstones, a couple of giant ghouls, etc. Most of the businesses downtown are decorated too. The pumpkins I've seen so far are "natural" and placed on stairs, front porches, etc. Pumpkins are really affordable here. I've seen big ones selling for $3-$4. I actually bypassed buying pumpkins in NJ this year b/c they're priced lower here.

We usually eat our pumpkins after Halloween. So I'm not carving mine this year. I do have those Halloween bags (like the ones they use in the SW) with lights in them. Lots of lights on the front porch and I'll have blood-curdling music playing. Didn't put some things up this year like the bloody brains and Caution police tape.
Will is also be your first Christmas? Wait until you see Washington Street and the neighborhood off Whittier Avenue all lined with the luminarias! It's pretty -- Christmas Eve.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Will is also be your first Christmas? Wait until you see Washington Street and the neighborhood off Whittier Avenue all lined with the luminarias! It's pretty -- Christmas Eve.
Yes, our first Christmas! That's one reason I did not put up all of the Halloween decorations -- b/c I am concentrating on the holidays! I bought a new tree last year (7.5') before I even bought the new house (because I figured I'd have the tall ceilings which I did end up with! ).

I also read in the paper that there's a parade and tree-lighting ceremony in the downtown walking mall after Thanksgiving? I hope there are Historic House holiday tours as I would love to see that, especially some of those mansions.

We're already planning for New Year's Eve since downtown has the festival, bands, and fireworks!

Old 10-29-2010, 01:52 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Yes, our first Christmas! That's one reason I did not put up all of the Halloween decorations -- b/c I am concentrating on the holidays! I bought a new tree last year (7.5') before I even bought the new house (because I figured I'd have the tall ceilings which I did end up with! ).

I also read in the paper that there's a parade and tree-lighting ceremony in the downtown walking mall after Thanksgiving? I hope there are Historic House holiday tours as I would love to see that, especially some of those mansions.

We're already planning for New Year's Eve since downtown has the festival, bands, and fireworks!
First Night is fun although the last couple years were soooooo cold.

Preservation of Historic Winchester does the Holiday Houses. Preservation of Historic Winchester, Inc.: Holiday House Tour (http://www.phwi.org/hht.html - broken link) and, of course, there's Historic Garden Week in the Spring.

Winchester really is a delightful community.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Preservation of Historic Winchester does the Holiday Houses. Preservation of Historic Winchester, Inc.: Holiday House Tour (http://www.phwi.org/hht.html - broken link) and, of course, there's Historic Garden Week in the Spring.
Thanks for sending this! Looks like a blast, especially that Preview Party!

Quote:
First Night is fun although the last couple years were soooooo cold.
We live downtown so figured we could walk, go back home if needed, and head back out. Already have the fur boots and long underwear ready to go!

Old 10-29-2010, 02:07 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
There are a handful of homes in N. Springfield that went all out! Orange lights on the house, giant pumpkins/spiders/tombstones, green porchlight, etc.

I'm not a big halloween person--I don't like the creepiness of it. I put some happy jack-o-lantern lights in our front window, and there are pumpkins on our front porch, which we'll carve on Sunday afternoon My sister created an awesome University of Maryland mascot pattern for me to carve on my pumpkin, so I'm super excited!

Old 10-29-2010, 02:13 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
The luminarias are very big on my street, too. We have long walkways and long driveways, so they look really cool here. A few houses have "graveyards". One has an elaborately decorated yard.

The rest of the houses mostly have a string of orange lights or maybe the blinking eyeball lights in the bushes. Almost every house seems to have at least one pumpkin or scarecrow.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:54 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Those neon green spiderwebs are everywhere this year. Looks like they're the favorite way to decorate bushes (when rain isn't predicted).

I see very few carved pumpkins, but a fair number of painted pumpkins a la Martha Stewart.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:05 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I see very few carved pumpkins, but a fair number of painted pumpkins a la Martha Stewart.
Can you carve them early? I'm in the habit of carving them on Halloween day (we're doing ours this afternoon). We always did it that way growing up, because they'd start to rot and fall apart after 24 hours. Maybe that's not an issue here, since it's much colder out than california?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia