U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:46 PM

4,687 posts, read 5,524,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Does any of this really matter? Does anyone seriously think an incumbent U.S. Rep in NoVA could ever be defeated? When was the last time that happened?
It happened in 1994. And it could very well happen tomorrow. I hope not - I think Connolly has done a good job.

Although ... I wish Tom Davis hadn't retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 08:03 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,034,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
It happened in 1994. And it could very well happen tomorrow. I hope not - I think Connolly has done a good job.

Although ... I wish Tom Davis hadn't retired.
Argh. forgot about that Gene! Was even the same seat as it was Davis who beat Leslie Byrne. Might have even been my Rep then, if it wasn't Moran (they moved the district around a bit). Of course Fimian is no Tom Davis, and Connolly is more well liked than Byrne, so I'll stick with my view that it's a real long shot. I'll show up to vote for Gerry in any case.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:17 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,953,655 times
Regarding the "bonus," Fimian was pointing out that Congress adjourned this year without even passing a budget. He was saying that their pay should be reduced and withheld if they fail to do their job and then given to them only after they do their job and pass the budget.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Regarding the "bonus," Fimian was pointing out that Congress adjourned this year without even passing a budget. He was saying that their pay should be reduced and withheld if they fail to do their job and then given to them only after they do their job and pass the budget.
If you have to explain a political ad, it sucked. I think Connolly's ads associating Finian with fraud were much more effective. I just wish more dems would go hard negative like that as it really works.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,953,655 times
As for the hit-and-run, the judge let Connolly off because his "position and his duties have caused him to be oblivious to what is going on in his car." So he got off because he was Chairman of the Board.

This was written by one of the state's leading Democrat (Connolly's own party) bloggers about the aftermath:

Not Larry Sabato: Gerry vs. the Police

Old 11-01-2010, 08:46 PM

103 posts, read 148,448 times
I hate politics. I used to be into so much during the Gore/Bush and Bush/Kerry but I realize politics is nothing but a big giant pendulum. It goes back and forth every 2 to 4 years. I'd rather see puppies and kittens during commercial breaks!

Old 11-01-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRider6 View Post
I'd rather see puppies and kittens during commercial breaks!
Doesn't Keith Fimian hate puppies and kittens?

Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,360,162 times
Here's a link from The Post regarding the hit-and-run, after the trial that was adjudicated in Prince William County, as Fairfax County recused itself, though the incident occurred in Tysons Corner.

Fairfax Board Chairman Cleared in Accident (washingtonpost.com)

Interestingly, Byrne tried to get her old seat back when Tom Davis retired from Congressional life, but was defeated by Connolly.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-02-2010, 04:26 AM

10,598 posts, read 12,100,469 times
I didn't care for this either:
Virginia Tech Families Call on Keith Fimian to Close Gun Show Loophole
Fimian refuses to stand with Virginia Tech families to close the Gun Show Loophole
Americans United for Safe Streets adds $100,000 to TV ad campaign, bringing total Virginia campaign to $450,000
Fairfax, VA - Americans United for Safe Streets expanded its campaign to urge Keith Fimian to close the Gun Show Loophole today and is joined by more Virginia Tech family members calling on Fimian to explain his refusal to stand with them. Last week, Keith Fimian, a candidate for Congress in Virginia's 11th District, told a reporter the April 2007 Virginia Tech shooting would have been averted had students been "packing heat." On Friday, Fimian and his campaign backtracked saying it was an "offhand comment" and that "his words were very poorly chosen" and "did not...take into account the gravity of the situation." When asked if he supports closing the Gun Show Loophole, which enables criminals and the mentally ill to buy guns no questions asked, he refused to answer, and jumped into a car.
lowkell :: Virginia Tech Families Call on Keith Fimian to Close Gun Show Loophole
"Because I found Keith Fimian's earlier comments about the Virginia Tech tragedy offensive, I met with him yesterday along with other Virginia Tech family members," said retired Lieutenant Colonel Peter Read, father of Virginia Tech victim Mary Karen Read. "And though he offered his apology for the words he chose, he has yet to decide his answer on the simple question of whether he'll support background checks for every gun sold at a gun show. I need my representative in Congress to know the answer to that question."
Seventy five Virginia Tech family members have called on Congress to close the Gun Show Loophole, including retired Lieutenant Colonel Peter Read.
"It's hard to believe a candidate for the U.S. Congress doesn't appreciate the gravity of the massacre at Virginia Tech," said Omar Samaha, brother of Virginia Tech victim Reema Samaha. "We are tired of politicians who are unwilling to stand up for public safety and support closing the Gun Show Loophole. Why is Keith Fimian protecting criminals instead of protecting us?" Mr. Samaha appears in the Americans United for Safe Streets TV ad campaign, which coincides with a series of four mailings that highlight Fimian's record on the Gun Show Loophole.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:25 AM

4,687 posts, read 5,524,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I'll show up to vote for Gerry in any case.
Me, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or