U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 PM

170 posts, read 516,059 times

Advertisements

I left NOVA about 6 months ago, moved South about 3 hours, and moved for a great job. However, I am really missing NOVA now. My friends, the atmosphere, the energy, the diversity. I drive to the DC area just about every other weekend to see my friends.

Should I move back?

Have you ever left NOVA and then missed it and moved back?

How could someone miss such a horrible place - filled with rude people and lots of traffic?

Thanks,
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 08:36 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,654,537 times
I came to DC for college in 1992, loved the energy and excitement of the area, then went to Austin for grad school. Two years of that, and I was ready to come back. Work brought me to NoVA and I've been here ever since.

I even miss it after a few days in Georgia for Thanksgiving. Or last summer when we drove to Kansas City and back (the midwest is full of nice people, but it's oddly averse to baby changing stations in the men's room. I got stuck with diaper duty all along the route.) There's just something about this area that I find comfortable and I wouldn't want to return to anywhere else I've ever lived (Kansas City, Austin, Atlanta, and northern New Mexico). I certainly don't think NoVA is perfect but it's pretty darn close for me.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:46 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,814,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I came to DC for college in 1992, loved the energy and excitement of the area, then went to Austin for grad school. Two years of that, and I was ready to come back. Work brought me to NoVA and I've been here ever since.

I even miss it after a few days in Georgia for Thanksgiving. Or last summer when we drove to Kansas City and back (the midwest is full of nice people, but it's oddly averse to baby changing stations in the men's room. I got stuck with diaper duty all along the route.) There's just something about this area that I find comfortable and I wouldn't want to return to anywhere else I've ever lived (Kansas City, Austin, Atlanta, and northern New Mexico). I certainly don't think NoVA is perfect but it's pretty darn close for me.
Darn it - I am really nervous that moving to Austin (which is our plan and as soon as possible) will make me miss this place. If not for the cost of living, our lack of close family and the traffic, I agree that this is a good place to live.

I have to be honest - I can't wait to flee back here whenever we visit my husband's family near San Antonio. But that is more because of the family situation down there than the town itself. However, I was appalled at the lack of wifi locations near such a major metro area - we had to drive 15 minutes to the closest library for free wifi. UGH!

Old 11-03-2010, 08:59 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,416,962 times
Um, I think all of you are insane. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:03 PM

31 posts, read 78,815 times
After having lived in various parts of the DC area I thought I needed a major lifestyle change and moved to Tucson. I didn't even last a year. While I certainly didn't miss the traffic, like the OP I missed the vibrant and dynamic feel of this area.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:59 PM

515 posts, read 1,511,345 times
My advice would be to give yourself more time before making a decision. A major change of residence can be daunting. When I first came to D.C., I went home a lot. After about a year, I was fully acclimated and no longer felt the urge to go home as much.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:29 PM

30,282 posts, read 67,489,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia bradley View Post
um, i think all of you are insane. And i mean that in the nicest way possible. :d
+1

Old 11-04-2010, 01:22 AM

23,670 posts, read 33,545,829 times
I'm six months into my move from Northern VA and the only things I miss from NoVA are making a paycheck and my friends. I'm getting close to making both those things happen in Louisville.

Anyway, if I had to move back to the DC area, I'd definitely opt for Maryland as opposed to NoVA. I'd even do the commute from Baltimore.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:05 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,865,559 times
Some miss it, some don't. Sometimes it's just a matter of letting a new town grow on you. I'd give it at least a year.

On the other hand... we retired to our dream home in a small town in the GA mountains. We have a vacation home there and had taken many long trips there, but discovered that wonderful vacation retreat can become boring if you try to live there year round.

We gave it 18 months, then moved back to our house in Nova. Never regretted moving back. I like being in a place where there's a lot going on.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:43 AM

219 posts, read 412,126 times
We did, but we also missed San Diego when we moved back to NoVa. We were just getting to the point in SD where we had social circles, favorite activities and destinations - when we were confronted with the opportunity to move back. If we had been there longer, might not have made the same choice, though we don't regret the choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia