Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting thread.

Woodbridge/Dale City keep coming up as low-priced alternatives to the DC area.

It seems like ALL low-priced alternatives would have a certain crime element existant in them compared to the very wealthy NOVA & MoCo areas.

I don't know Woodbridge or Dale City or Manasses, or any of these 'non-NOVA' cities. But, sometimes I wonder if they were placed somewhere else in the country, and NOT next to NOVA, maybe they would simply look and be like everywhere else.

I was viewing Woodbridge by wikipedia briefly, and it looks like they have the second largest mall in the NOVA area, as well as a large waterworks theme park area, amongst other things.

Doesn't look TOO bad. Nothing can compare with Fairfax - isn't in the wealthiest and best county to live in the entire country right now? What COULD compare with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 08:10 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

It seems like ALL low-priced alternatives would have a certain crime element existant in them compared to the very wealthy NOVA & MoCo areas.

I don't know Woodbridge or Dale City or Manasses, or any of these 'non-NOVA' cities. But, sometimes I wonder if they were placed somewhere else in the country, and NOT next to NOVA, maybe they would simply look and be like everywhere else.

I was viewing Woodbridge by wikipedia briefly, and it looks like they have the second largest mall in the NOVA area, as well as a large waterworks theme park area, amongst other things.

Doesn't look TOO bad. Nothing can compare with Fairfax - isn't in the wealthiest and best county to live in the entire country right now? What COULD compare with that?

Personally I don't believe Fairfax is all that.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:22 PM

Lake Ridge is near I 95 but DV and HH are near I 66. HH and DV are near RT 29 which is undergoing some major renovations so traffic will continue to be an issue for some time. LR is an older area thus tends to have more crime issues but they, for the most part, tend to occur in isolated areas. HH and DV are near the mountains and overall are in a more scenic area. Access to beautiful countryside is just minutes away. LR has more close shopping although more and more is going in around the Gainesville/Haymarket areas and of course you're close to Manassas and fairly close to Fairfax areas such as Fair Oaks. LR has a large library and fitness center (Chinn) and Gainesville/Haymarket are still lacking these. Knowing both areas as well as I do I would choose the Haymarket/Gainesville areas over LR without hesitation unless my job was along the I 95 corridor.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:00 PM

262 posts, read 841,156 times
Thanks!

My preliminary research suggest Heritage Hunt might be a good option for my parents. However, my mom keeps obsessing over the sump pump in these houses.

One other area, based upon very preliminary research, that my parents my like is Winchester. Any thoughts?

Old 11-09-2010, 04:22 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshan242700 View Post
Thanks!

My preliminary research suggest Heritage Hunt might be a good option for my parents. However, my mom keeps obsessing over the sump pump in these houses.

One other area, based upon very preliminary research, that my parents my like is Winchester. Any thoughts?
To be honest, I think the Leesburg area would be great for anyone who is retiring and still wants a bit of access to things. The construction is mostly new, the planned communities are beautiful, and one is close enough to DC for an easy day trip as well as having great shopping and dining choices within a 30 minute drive. It's very pretty.

In this area, in general, it is very tough to find a new construction rambler, but they can often be found in the over-55 communities (which tend to be pricey).

Old 11-09-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshan242700 View Post
Thanks!

I have several friends in HH and have never heard them discuss any problems with any sump pumps but who knows. I really like the Winchester area. Still a small town feel but growing all the time. It has a very large hospital considering where it's located. Very close to some beautiful mountains. The Apple Blossom Festival is a big event every year and draws a large number of people.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
How is it a snobbery thing? Maybe it's a jealousy issue with you that we live in places other than Woodbridge. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? So does your comment. My opinion on Woodbridge, and I've expressed it plenty on here before ...
Yes, you certainly have ... as is your right.

Quote:
... is based on 30 years of policing it as well as the rest of PWC.
And that makes you an invaluable resource for people seeking information about crime in the area. But, judging from your comment above ("we live in places other than Woodbridge"), you don't live here. And I think it's possible that given that your experience with Woodbridge is predominately or exclusively that of a police officer, your view of Woodbridge is influenced strongly by your on-the-job experiences ... and I suspect those experiences would be similar in other NoVA jurisdictions; i.e., by definition, a cop sees a community at its worst.

Quote:
Woodbridge has made some great strides in the last few years and that's good news. But much of Woodbridge still deserves its nickname of Hoodbridge.
Woodbridge can make all the strides it wants, but if people keep referring to "Hoodbridge", well....

Quote:
It's the reason we moved to Dale City in Feb. of 1981. We've been here ever since. And while I may be tempting fate by saying this, during these almost 30 years we have been the victims of crime exactly zero times.

We rented a townhouse in the Birchdale section of Dale City, and then a single family detached in Forestdale. We bought a townhouse in Cherrydale, and then bought the house we're in now - in Nottingdale - 18 years ago.

Our two children went to school here; we went through the usual activities for the kids here (dance, aikido, scouting); we do much of our shopping here, and go to church, and visit the county's parks (I take our dog to a very nice park a block away every day), and use the public library; etc., etc.

Is there crime? Of course. There are people here, so there's crime here. And frankly, there are parts of Woodbridge along Rt. 1 I would not care to live in. But the good far outweighs the bad, a message that sometimes gets lost.

As for my wife and me, I really thought we would have moved out of Dale City (and Prince William, and Virginia) by now. We intended to do so after we retired 2+ years ago, to downsize (we have a big house we no longer need) and relocate closer to family. But the housing market took a hit prior to our retiring, and while things are looking better, we'll probably have to hang in here a while longer.

Fortunately, that's not a problem. We've found - much to our delight - that living where we do is outstanding in retirement. Once our commute into the District was eliminated from the daily routine, we discovered that this area is GREAT for retirees. It's not nearly as expensive as when we were working, the resources (doctors, library, etc.) are already in place and well-known, and this whole area is filled with things to see and do.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
I also was recently examining the seemingly 'affordable' places outside of the DC area - I made a list of Woodbridge, Manasses, Leesburg, Fredericksburg and Frederick MD. (Later I found that Leesburg is actually quite expensive for how far it is).

Nontheless, I put each city into mapquest with 'Spy Museum' of downtown DC as the destination. Just to see how much mileage it would say.

I came up with:

Frederick, MD: 52 miles.
Fredericksburg, VA: 52 miles.
Leesburg, VA: 40 miles.
Manassas, VA: 32 miles.
Woodbridge, VA: 23 miles.

In short, for the prices, Woodbridge certainly wins in the less mileage on the car to commute to DC category. I mean, considering you are trying to get outside the Metro enough for the lower-priced housing and such.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:54 AM

4 posts, read 7,284 times
Smile Staying in PWC

Quote:

Have to go with GreenGene....
We've lived in Woodbridge, VA since 1978 and we chose to live here over all of the other areas you mention - after giving them all a detailed once over. In my opinion, Fairfax is definitely not all that and more...we avoid it.
Prince William County has grown up to be right up there as one of the best places to live and I can think of a zillion reasons why I would rather be in PWC than in Jersey or PA. Have nothing against those states but I sure am glad I am not paying what my sister does in Jersey property taxes or living in the depressed area that was my husband's hometown.
As for crime...I can think of quite a few unpleasant situations and goings on in the best of neighborhoods in MoCo and Fairfax.
Anyway, check out all the facts and demographics. Potomac Mills has brought quite a bit of high end ventures this way. And I kind of like the idea that I can go into the city, or to the beach or to the mountains...and call it a day trip. It really comes down to what you make of where you live.

De at Living In Woodbridge VA

Old 11-09-2010, 09:46 AM

671 posts, read 1,118,672 times
I'll just pop back in and say I live in Woodbridge or Lakeridge-tho not the actual lakeridge subdivision.Call it Tackets.
Excepting the time my car was stolen, or the police raid on the drug sellers or the big fight at the Rt 1 shopping center when I was in Blockbuster I guess I have nothing to back up my disgruntlment. These things happen further North too I know.
I drove a 26mile commute for 14 years-it isn't worth it. I didn't buy here to get more house-it was all I could afford Commute was always over an hour and a tedious trek
Pluses
Woodbridge has a trainstation. OP said one commute was to Alexandria. Or he can drive but pick up Slugs- He can drop at the Pentagon and go outbound on Washington Parkway or 66 0r Lee Hwy.to Falls Church. A couple extra miles but on HOV. And 66 is not restricted outbound.
And yes the library system is good as is the Chinn fitness center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia