Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 PM

487 posts, read 1,358,169 times

Advertisements

OK let me pose another question.

This is for people intimately familiar with the Manassas Area

Say you had a chance to make a fresh start and move wherever you wanted to.
But you had to abide by these guide lines.

you have 2 commutes you need to accommodate.

One to downtown DC, meaning Your home can be no more that 5 minutes away from a VRE station.
And
One to just West of Dulles Airport, meaning you need to be in a position to take a direct route straight North during rush hour.

What Neighborhood do you who know the area look in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 12:33 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Whats nasty about Manassas Mall? - looked the same to me as any other mall - and I have been to malls all over the country

One of the moms in the moms group I used to be in lived in that area in a huge brand new huge luxury home on a large lot - forgot the name of the neighborhood but it was very well kept - are looks really that deceiving?
Well I did hear that they have some rodents running around the food court, which is more common than people believe, but I thought it was an average mall too. There's nothing special about it, but I've definitely been to worse malls.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:44 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Whats nasty about Manassas Mall? - looked the same to me as any other mall - and I have been to malls all over the country.
Small, old, presentable but not super-clean. I haven't been there in awhile but there was a Ruby Tuesday that was disgusting. Food on the floor, dirty carpet, smelly -- really needed a facelift.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:01 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Why do they medivac accident victims to Fairfax Hospital? I was talking about Africans, like Somali, Ethiopia, not AA. Which may not be all bad, but it does say they have a shortage of local, skilled/semi-skilled labor. Parts of the Haydon Elementary School area include the nasty apartments. Four Osborn students committed suicide during the 2008-2009 school year. Think they made any staff changes? The band teacher, is probably already out of prison, he had a prior.

The police will tell you about the gangs in Manassas; that doesn't mean they are endorsing neighborhoods. BTW, when I attended the presentation by the campus officer for gang awareness, he specifically mentioned Stonewall and Liberia.

Is this a test? Are you serious? They fly out the serious cases to trauma centers all over the country. PWH is not a trauma center but that doesn't mean it doesn't handle emergencies. Sheesh. Not every hosp can be a trauma center and Fairfax is one of the best in the area.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Is this a test? Are you serious? They fly out the serious cases to trauma centers all over the country. PWH is not a trauma center but that doesn't mean it doesn't handle emergencies. Sheesh. Not every hosp can be a trauma center and Fairfax is one of the best in the area.
I have to back Bigfoot on this one. We recently had an elderly family member admitted into a brain trauma center in Trenton, NJ. The place was renowned for their staff, advanced studies, state-of-the-art technologies, and treatments. The place was in a scary, ghettoey, rundown decrepit neighborhood. It was weird seeing this place located where it was. However, the emergency room handled everything and everybody including the local (low-income) residents. I was glad to see that this outstanding place was serving the locals, especially those who typically are denied quality care.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:02 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I gave birth in a Trenton Hospital because my Dr. worked out of there - terrible ghetto area - but they had the best rate of natural births and the only NICU in the region - whereas the fancier Robert Wood in the arae had no NICU

Here I think the best hospital is Fairfax Hospital - my Mother had an accident and we went to Fair Oaks and found out they do not have a trama center - she had to got to Fairfax - wish the EMTs would have told us that

Old 11-11-2010, 04:28 AM

Thread Hijackers

Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 PM

OK I just spent the day driving around this Area of Manassas.
I can say without fear of successful contradiction that my impressions were remarkable.
As I looked around I was recalling the descriptions I read in this thread of a blighted hellhole of gang infested neighborhoods and crime.
So
What ever you do don't go into that area looking for a home to buy within the next month or so.
After about a month I expect the area will get all better.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:46 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
OK I just spent the day driving around this Area of Manassas.
I can say without fear of successful contradiction that my impressions were remarkable.
As I looked around I was recalling the descriptions I read in this thread of a blighted hellhole of gang infested neighborhoods and crime.
So
What ever you do don't go into that area looking for a home to buy within the next month or so.
After about a month I expect the area will get all better.

One thing about Manassas/Woodbridge and other places in the area where crime is higher and gangs can be an issue. It never looks like what you would expect to see or what you see on TV. None of our neighborhoods look like an inner city neighborhood. You can go to the worse neighborhoods on a day like today and think this is nothing. The big test os often hot summer nights when everyone is out. Coverstone IV has been a PITA for a very long time but for the most part it doesn't look the part. Was a crack central forever but has seen some improvement. The management companies do a pretty good job in keeping appearances up, especially in the apt complexes. I used to know the manager of Coverstone IV and she did her best with what she had to work with. It really is hard to judge a book by its cover sometimes in this area.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:45 PM

429 posts, read 954,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Why do they medivac accident victims to Fairfax Hospital?

There is a simple answer to your question...Inova Fairfax Hospital is the closest Level 1 Trauma Center. There are only a handful in the whole state. Where would you rather they take them?

Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
Inova Fairfax Hospital
Sentara Norfolk General Hospital
University of Virginia Health System ( Charlottesville)
Virginia Commonwealth University Health Systems ( Richmond)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia