Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:23 PM

33 posts, read 82,178 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 26 year old single guy, and I just moved to the Virginia Square/Ballston area (1 block away from the metro), and I'm curious: where do I go to meet women? I haven't dated in a while so I'm really out of it. I'm just looking to meet girls, figure out what's out there and what I want. I know this is probably a silly question, but I would appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Btw, are meetups a good idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 05:04 PM

885 posts, read 1,543,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefermat22 View Post
Hi,

I'm a 26 year old single guy, and I just moved to the Virginia Square/Ballston area (1 block away from the metro), and I'm curious: where do I go to meet women? I haven't dated in a while so I'm really out of it. I'm just looking to meet girls, figure out what's out there and what I want. I know this is probably a silly question, but I would appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Btw, are meetups a good idea?
Do you have a preference? White, black, Hispanics, Asian, etc.?

Meet up can work, but, don't go to the general ones. I have never been to one, but, I have seen pictures of say "Book Club" or "Hiking Group" and you see tons of 40 year old men and 60 year old women.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:18 PM

33 posts, read 82,178 times
Nope. No racial preferences. I'm interested in meeting funny and smart girls in their 20s (ie. 24-30) in a low pressure environment. Apparently happy hours are very popular here. Do I need a "wingman" to come with me? Since I'm new to the DC/NOVA area, I have only made one or two friends, both women actually. Also, is Adams Morgan a good place to meet girls?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:24 PM

8,967 posts, read 21,048,353 times
You're coincidentally right next the heart of socializing for 20somethings in NOVA: Clarendon. Bring your wingwomen along with you (if you're a bit shy) and have fun!

I would also recommend Meetup as well. There are plenty of age-specific socializing groups from low-key get-togethers to club- and barhopping walking caravans.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Nope. No racial preferences. I'm interested in meeting funny and smart girls in their 20s (ie. 24-30) in a low pressure environment. Apparently happy hours are very popular here. Do I need a "wingman" to come with me? Since I'm new to the DC/NOVA area, I have only made one or two friends, both women actually. Also, is Adams Morgan a good place to meet girls?
Just hook up with one of your two female friends, or both of them. Problem solved.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:13 AM

20 posts, read 56,742 times
Quote:
I say focus on just meeting new people, not women specifically. Less pressure if you're not singling out just women.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:47 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,824,667 times
To be honest, I think you're better off going to meet-up groups and other groups that cater to a particular interest rather than going to a bar. People ask this question all the time, so instead of typing out all the suggestions yet again, here are some good suggestions from another thread. Most of them are standard bits of advice, but who knows maybe you can find some ideas:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...od-places.html

Old 11-13-2010, 10:01 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,898,650 times
Look into joining a co-ed sports team in the area if that's your thing. There are lots of recreational softball/soccer/kickball teams in the area, and most have happy hours/team parties after games to socialize. I played on a WAKA kickball team for a season and had a lot of fun.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:00 PM

855 posts, read 1,167,909 times
if you only want to meet girls, have you tried match.com? a lot of single ppl our age are on there. it's good for meeting new people without being awkward since everyone's on there to date/hook up/have fun/or find a spouse.

sports and meet up groups can be fun, but if you just want to meet women, it might be weird if you date one of them and end up not liking them and are still on a team with them. match.com is less awkward and if you end up not feeling someone, you won't feel obligated to see them as much as if you were on the same co-ed team or meet up group.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
if you only want to meet girls, have you tried match.com? a lot of single ppl our age are on there. it's good for meeting new people without being awkward since everyone's on there to date/hook up/have fun/or find a spouse.

sports and meet up groups can be fun, but if you just want to meet women, it might be weird if you date one of them and end up not liking them and are still on a team with them. match.com is less awkward and if you end up not feeling someone, you won't feel obligated to see them as much as if you were on the same co-ed team or meet up group.
You talk about meetup like it's a job where you have the obligation or need to go there. If he meet a girl there, hooks up, and didn't work out. He can quit that meetup all togehter and find another meetup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia