U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:03 PM

1,419 posts, read 3,018,313 times

Advertisements

title says it all. Looking for a quality hobby breeder (not a puppy mill and not a backyard breeder) within 100 miles of Loudoun county. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 06:49 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,817,955 times
Which kind, American or English?

Old 11-12-2010, 06:59 PM

english preferably

Old 11-13-2010, 03:37 PM

4,489 posts, read 9,576,988 times
Take a look at Blackamoor Labs in Mason Neck.

Blackamoor Labradors

Gotta throw a line in for Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder too though. There are over 30,000 labs and lab mixes listed on there right now looking for homes

Old 11-13-2010, 04:39 PM

7,958 posts, read 9,699,120 times
I would start with the AKC recognized parent club,

The AKC Parent Club of the Labrador Retriever

Most parent clubs (although I am not personally familiar with the Lab club) are very critical of the breeders they put on the referral list.

Furthermore, I would recommend taking some time and visiting a local ACK dog show. All decent hobby breeders are breeding for good quality lines and championships. (If anyone tells you otherwise, they are definitely a puppy mill or a back-yarder). At the show, you will be able to meet multiple lab breeders and show owners and ask tons of questions. (All litters have "show" and "non-show" puppies in them, so getting a dog from a show breeder does not mean you have to show your dog). There is an upcoming 4 day show at Howard County (MD) on Thanksgiving weekend which would be a great opportunity.

Lastly, when selecting a dog breeder, the most important test is what questions they ask you. Good breeders are those who are truly concerned where their dogs go, and will ask you a ton of questions to make sure you are the right person/ family for their hand-raised puppy.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:11 PM

798 posts, read 2,482,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Take a look at Blackamoor Labs in Mason Neck.

Blackamoor Labradors

Gotta throw a line in for Pet adoption: Want a dog or cat? Adopt a pet on Petfinder too though. There are over 30,000 labs and lab mixes listed on there right now looking for homes
Thanks for adding the link on pet adoptions.. So many wonderful pets need good homes!

Old 11-14-2010, 06:11 PM

204 posts, read 591,910 times
Cresthill Kennels in Fredericksburg, VA

Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,182,131 times
Yes, I was going to say petfinder as well. I work with a local league but with cats. However, we sometimes have adoptions on the same days as the dog league does and they get young labs in....there was a puppy a few months ago...so they get those too. Sometimes a league will happen upon a 'breeder' that really shouldn't be breeding. This happened with a Persian Cat Breeder who used to show her cats at the local Cat Show every year at the Dulles Expo.... Though the cats looked fantastic....those were among the few....she bred them in rooms in her basement and lots of them had medical issues, etc. She was a well recognized breeder....the part of the house people were allowed into was impeccable....so you just never know. Dogs are a little harder to hide but I know the leagues do get them. If you go on Petfinder....get the names of the local leagues - call them, get approved, and tell them you are looking for a very young lab - they will keep you on file and call you when one comes in.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,369,540 times
I don't know of any breeders HERE but wanted to mention that we went to about 4 or 5 until we felt comfortable in the person we got our Lab from in Upstate NY. The others just seemed...I don't know...like they were in it for the money. I paid only $500 for my English Lab (I thought that was reasonable considering the costs I had come across elsewhere). They even had her microchipped for me.
So I would call a few and make appts to visit and see how they run their place. You'll have a sense for who is good and who is not.

As for English or American, I HIGHLY recomment English if it is for a family pet. I bought an American at first and had to give it back after 3 days...I just couldn't handle him. He was too hyper and too strong and just needed to be hunting or on a farm where he could hunt and do fun things. Then I educated myself and found an English is what I had been wanting. My lab (yellow) is now 5 and she is the best, most easy going dog I have ever had. My kids can hang on her and I trust her completely. She doesn't even flinch if the kids get near her food...She's just great!

You may know all of this but for those that don't I wanted to mention everything. Another thing I would do is buy Pet Insurance right away if you are getting a lab. They tend to have issues and it can be costly. Mine needed her CCL replaced to the tune of $5K. Plus she has skin issues which have cost us a lot until we finally found what was wrong: she needed natural, grain free food.

And I would feed a good food right from the start. Not Beneful or anything like that which we did at first...I use Great Life and it is $50 a bag, but I feel her twice a day one cup of food with one cup of green beans added in and it's not that bad then since we don't have to buy it often.

Anyway, that's my experience with my lab. I ADORE her!

Good luck!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:04 PM

thanks all, we're set, found a breeder and puppy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia