Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 02:10 PM

486 posts, read 1,660,478 times

Advertisements

For the first time I'm hosting my family Thanksgiving dinner at my house. Problem is the freezer is not big enough to hold a turkey... can anyone think of any place else to store the turkey?

Or can I buy it one or two days before and leave it out to thaw...? or no good?

Not sure what to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 02:25 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,191,749 times
Not recommended to leave out for more than 2 hours in room temp for thawing.

Turkey Basics: Safe Thawing

Are you saying it won't fit in your refrigerator, either? How about using a large cooler (like Coleman, Igloo) filled with ice? Or a neighbor's freezer.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:51 PM

87 posts, read 235,873 times
I usually buy a fresh turkey the day before and store it overnight in the fridge ...

Old 11-16-2010, 02:55 PM

722 posts, read 1,913,731 times
It's best to let a frozen Turkey thaw in the refrigerator, and depending on how large the turkey is, it will take at least a couple days. Here's a website with some info on thawing a turkey
Thanksgiving: Thawing a Frozen Turkey

Since it won't fit in your freezer, I'm assuming you're planning to buy a pretty large turkey. So you could probably buy it frozen several days in advance and just let it thaw in your fridge.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:32 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,898,650 times
You could do what my husband's grandmother does...she cooks Thanksgiving dinner for 40-50 people each year. To maintain her sanity, she buys pre-cut turkey breasts to serve. (Cold, mind you, because the ovens are filled with pans and pans of mashed potatoes! )

Old 11-16-2010, 08:51 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,691,079 times
I faced the same problem one year. I bought it about 2 days before, and did the ice and ice water thing in a cooler, not all ice because then it might not thaw. I stuck a thermomater in there the first day to make sure it was cold enought and it was fine, it was colder than my fridge. I let the ice melt the second day and then washed in room temp water. Then brined it the same way, in a big bag, surrounded by ice water. It was GREAT!

Old 11-17-2010, 05:37 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,239,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I faced the same problem one year. I bought it about 2 days before, and did the ice and ice water thing in a cooler, not all ice because then it might not thaw. I stuck a thermomater in there the first day to make sure it was cold enought and it was fine, it was colder than my fridge. I let the ice melt the second day and then washed in room temp water. Then brined it the same way, in a big bag, surrounded by ice water. It was GREAT!
thanks for this suggestion, for the first year in 17 yrs of marriage we do not have a second refrigerator, with my hubby's entire immediate family coming for Thanksgiving I had to buy a big turkey and was wondering how I was going to thaw it, great suggestion.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:56 AM

486 posts, read 1,660,478 times
Yes, thanks for the suggestions. We just have a small freezer and refridgerator so it sounds like the ice and ice water in a cooler might be best. And yes the fridge will be filled with other tasty items, no room for a frozen turkey... :-)

Old 11-17-2010, 09:20 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,749,316 times
I thought it was because you had a side by side fridge, where I've heard the same situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia