U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 PM

27 posts, read 51,624 times
Question Fairfax Station prestigious as McLean and Great Falls

DC Neighborhoods: Where to live in DC, Maryland and Virginia on washingtonpost.com Neighborhoods

According to Washington Post real estate section, the prestigious neighborhoods of Northern Virginia are Fairfax Station, McLean, and Great Falls.

I know that McLean and Great Falls are reputed as highly affluent neighborhoods. Yet I have never ranked Fairfax Station in the same class as McLean and Great Falls.

Fairfax Station Overview: Photos, Stats, Crime, Home Sales and Schools on washingtonpost.com Neighborhoods

1) Which zipcodes are considered Fairfax Station proper versus Fairfax Station at large?

2) Has Fairfax Station always been considered a wealthy enclave, even without the newer neighborhoods build 2000 or later?

3) Nowadays, are Reston and Oakton Hill considered wealthy enclaves, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:05 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,314,758 times
Let the Beltway Bandit smackdown begin!

Old 11-17-2010, 11:09 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,167,519 times
They're all prestigious, baby!! (Especially to people who have never been anywhere near them and so have no idea what they actually look like... )

Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 PM

2,879 posts, read 4,001,858 times
Unless you live in the part of FFX Station that was formerly known as Lorton.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:47 AM

9,337 posts, read 15,363,054 times
There is no "Fairfax Station at large," it's all zip code 22039. 22015 neighbors the area, which is Burke, but the area is distinct in that Burke is a separate area and nobody claims to live in Fairfax Station, 22015. Clifton lies to the west, and it is 20124, which is not exactly an area where people would claim Fairfax Station residency as Clifton is prestigious in its own right (moreso in some neighborhoods, especially with the 5-acre minimum zoning requirement).

Lorton is a separate entity, and there's no section of Fairfax Station that was ever part of Lorton in recent history. Lorton has redeveloped in recent years, too, so the stigma that was applied to the area because of the correctional institution is in the past. Laurel Hill Park is a great resource in the south county, built on the former prison site, convenient for residents in Lorton, Fairfax Station, and Clifton.

Fairfax Station was affluent long before the 2000s. Some of the older sections of Fairfax Station, the neighborhood on 123, began in the early 1980s (perhaps earlier). These were designed as upper middle class homes for the time period, with houses of increasing size and price in recent years, both in neighborhoods, and set on an acre+ of land. Off Fairfax Station Road, both on private roads, and in neighborhoods, the houses are larger and more expensive than those directly on 123. Some of the neighborhoods off Fairfax Station Road are older, though the properties are larger, some of those are from the 1970s.

McLean had similar development in McLean Hamlet, Langley Oaks, and other similar neighborhoods. Tear-downs and movement toward larger homes in McLean tend to overshadow the many ordinary neighborhood styles that are prevalent in portions of McLean, Vienna, Fairfax, Fairfax Station, etc. It's the trophy properties at the higher end of the market that tend to garner the attention, when there are many homes that are "merely" affluent in McLean and Great Falls, not mansions or even McMansions.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-18-2010, 02:31 AM

5,824 posts, read 5,953,230 times
It would never occur to me to lump Fairfax Station in with McLean and Great Falls. Granted I am not super familiar with it, but I have been there several times. It is very pretty. There are beautiful houses there, but imho it is not in the same league as McLean and Great Falls. It is relatively far out. I am unaware of movers and shakers, celebrities, well-known politicians, etc. who live there. The rich and famous (DC style) mostly seem to live in McLean or Great Falls (or North Arlington) if they live in NoVa.

I wouldn't consider Fairfax Station, Reston, or Oak Hill to be wealthy enclaves. It is expensive to live there - yes - but it is expensive to live in most parts of NoVA. That doesn't make them wealthy enclaves.

Last edited by michgc; 11-18-2010 at 03:53 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 02:45 AM

4 posts, read 7,513 times
All of Fairfax Station is 22039. I would consider the 5 acre lots in Fairfax Station as nice as Great Falls and Mclean. For the most part the 5 acre lots are west of Ox Road (123) and the typical subdivision lots east of Ox.

I think Fairfax Station was more prestigous BEFORE the big houses on small lots were built in the 1990/2000s.

I believe Crosspoint is really in Lorton but has the Fairfax Station zip code.

When I moved here from out of state 8 years ago I read an article on the internet that Fairfax Station and Clifton were just as "nice" ("large properties and rolling hills") as Mclean and Great Falls but cost 20% less. That is why I focused my house search here. I think it is nice to live on 5 acres and feel like I live "in the country" yet be relatively close to DC and close to food shopping, etc in Burke.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:39 AM

5,824 posts, read 5,953,230 times
I have insomnia and time to kill so I just did a quick and dirty housing search by 4 bedroom/2 baths (or more). According to asking prices on a popular realtor site:

McLean - range from $550K to $9.9M
Great Falls - range from $370K to $7.6M
Fairfax Station - range from $300K to $1.9M

As you can see, the price of high-end homes in Fairfax Station cannot compare to those in Great Falls and McLean. And compared to other areas in Fairfax County, Fairfax Station fits right in there with the rest of them. McLean and Great Falls are in a league of their own.

Burke: $269K-$1.2M
Reston: $210K-$1.4M
Falls Church: $220K-$1.6M
Herndon: $189K-$1.9M
Vienna: $370K-$2.9M
Clifton: $250K-$3.3M
Fairfax, VA: $275K-$3.8M
Oakton, VA: $450K-$4.2M

Of course, price range does not give the whole picture. But if you look at just numbers, there are dozens of multi-million dollar homes for sale in McLean and Great Falls. There are no multi-million dollar homes for sale in Fairfax Station. It is a nice area, for sure. Prestigious compared to Great Falls and McLean? No.

Number of homes for sale $2M or more:

Burke: 0
Reston: 0
Falls Church: 0
Herndon: 0
Fairfax Station: 0
Clifton: 2
Fairfax: 2
Oakton: 4
Vienna: 5
Great Falls: 39
McLean: 71

As you can see, Great Falls and McLean are in a class by themselves.

Last edited by michgc; 11-18-2010 at 04:11 AM..

Old 11-18-2010, 04:03 AM

4 posts, read 7,513 times
This website (city-data.com) lists median house prices for 2008

Great Falls - 1,412,354
Mclean - 905,235
Fairfax Station 916,141

I am surprised Fairfax Station is more than Mclean, but I am shocked by Great Falls being so high! I definitely would consider Mclean to be the MOST prestigous area in Fairfax County. I never thought that highly of Great Falls because to me it just seeemed so far away from DC (at least parts of it). Although I guess the same could be said for the southern end of Fairfax Station.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:09 AM

4,479 posts, read 4,983,545 times
I've concluded Fairfax Station is not as prestigious as McLean and Great Falls because the latter do not let their local School Board members to make such inane statements about them:

Elizabeth Bradsher on Fairfax Station - Fairfax Station, VA Patch

Who knew Hoboken was a small "township"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia