Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times

Advertisements

So who's living in all the <$300k townhouses in "inner Leesburg" and in the >$400k townhouses that seem to be sprouting up all over "outer Leesburg"? I guess Cashburn and the nice parts of Sterling are bringing up the averages, Middleburg just doesn't have the numbers to do much on its own.

What Loudoun doesn't really have is neighborhoods like Woodbridge/Dale City/East Manassas in PWC or 7 Corners/Bailey's Crossroads/Route 1ia in Fairfax. Just miles and miles of solid middle-class suburbia with islands of "really rich people" in Loudoun's gated communities and some rural areas of wealth.

Although, Middleburg ES has 30% free/reduced lunch. What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:27 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
Plenty of people in Loudon, can't afford to go to the Dentist.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:03 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
It's not the wealthiest, it's the county with the highest incomes. Wealth and income are two different things. I'm sure if you totalled up the assets (wealth) owned by Fairfax Countians (home and car equity, bank balance, personal property etc.) it would be much higher than in Loudoun where you have a lot of newer residents living at the edge of their means.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:57 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Although, Middleburg ES has 30% free/reduced lunch. What's up with that?
Middleburg has Windy Hill.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:15 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Just miles and miles of solid middle-class suburbia with islands of "really rich people" in Loudoun's gated communities and some rural areas of wealth.
I sort of agree with this, but plenty of "really rich people" live in those solid middle class suburbia areas, too. I was surprised to learn how well off some of my neighbors are. We're talking people with serious money who live in places like Cascades. There are lots of them! I guess some rich people prefer to live modestly (in their way of thinking) in $750,000 homes... or maybe the house in Cascades is just one of several homes they own around the country.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:12 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,708 times
The income cited was the median income. Does anyone know what the average income is?

Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
The income cited was the median income. Does anyone know what the average income is?
Yes, let's have a real discussion about statistics here, because it seems people are arguing around it. This "Fairfax County has MORE people who are wealthy" stuff is just silly. Yes, in sheer numbers, you are correct. But that is not the number that this list is talking about.

Anybody care to be the statistics instructor here? I have to get back to my work (which has something to do with statistics and is why this post is making me a little nuts).

Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Plenty of people in Loudon, can't afford to go to the Dentist.
Bummer--you should be true to your teeth, or they'll be false to you!

Old 11-19-2010, 04:26 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I sort of agree with this, but plenty of "really rich people" live in those solid middle class suburbia areas, too. I was surprised to learn how well off some of my neighbors are. We're talking people with serious money who live in places like Cascades. There are lots of them! I guess some rich people prefer to live modestly (in their way of thinking) in $750,000 homes... or maybe the house in Cascades is just one of several homes they own around the country.
Pardon me if my reading comprehension skills are skewed this evening due to an impending cold, but did you really just call $750,000 homes "modest"? If that is indeed the case then some of you have been living in the NoVA housing bubble too long, especially when $100,000 gets you very nice homes in many cities replete with well-paying jobs (including Pittsburgh).

Old 11-19-2010, 04:33 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Pardon me if my reading comprehension skills are skewed this evening due to an impending cold, but did you really just call $750,000 homes "modest"? If that is indeed the case then some of you have been living in the NoVA housing bubble too long, especially when $100,000 gets you very nice homes in many cities replete with well-paying jobs (including Pittsburgh).
I think you missed Caladium's parenthetical qualifier "in their way of thinking". By NOVA standards, $750K is indeed the high side of average. Homes in that range in Loudoun might indeed attract the "millionaire next door" types she was presumably referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia