U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 02:13 PM

7 posts, read 31,016 times

Advertisements

hi, anyone know of any digital piano shops/dealers in the area? i am looking at roland's, yamaha's, kaiwai's, and casio's. i know jordan kitt has some roland and yamaha's. if anyone has some advice, please share. I am looking for my 5 year old daughter, who is starting to learn. i don't want to buy an acoustic one, because what if she is not interested any more, say 5 years from now, i will end up having a piece of furniture in the house. if this digital piano will last her 5 years, i will be happy, and then, i will get a real one. but for this digital piano, i want the sound and key action to be like a real piano as much as possible.

thanks
jw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 03:15 PM

10,606 posts, read 12,140,984 times
I'm sort of looking too!

My son has been playing since he was 9 (he's now almost 16). We bought a "cheap" acoustic piano so he could get the real feel while he was learning. It has served us well but he needs an upgrade. He wants digital and the ones he is looking at are about $1500. Costco sells them and they seem to have a good price and I know people who've bought from them and are happy. The cheapest ones they have are about $900.

Then I've got to sell the "real" one I have. What a drag.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:16 PM

60 posts, read 103,605 times
I know Guitar Center has stuff, not sure on the quality or prices though.

My friend who I'll be seeing tomorrow to work out with should know of small mom & pop type of shop or 2 I can ask the names and locations of for you.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 AM

34 posts, read 82,745 times
I just bought a Casio CDP-100 from Guitar Center over the weekend. It's on sale for $349 right now. It feels like a real piano with the scaled hammer action keyboard. It has 88 keys. I think it's just right for someone starting out. Guitar center has that relaxed atmosphere. They let you play with their pianos without a sales person pressuring you into buying anything.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:07 PM

5,740 posts, read 8,975,881 times
There used to be (and there may be still) a piano store in Rockville, near the Patio Argentine restaurant, just off Twinbrook Parkway. No idea if they sell digital pianos, but it's a start.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:42 PM

60 posts, read 103,605 times
I just realized I forgot to ask him... I'll try to catch him online to find out.

Guitar Center does seem pretty relaxed though. The people mainly just stay at the counters and wait for you to approach them and you can sit there and use instruments for as long as you like.

My friend was looking at one of those Yamaha's I think that was around the $300 range.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,292 times
Default online or offline stores?

Hey there,

I know of a few digital piano stores in the area. But it depends - are you looking for online or offline stores?

I'd recommend checking out online stores, because you can save a lot of money. You'll also be able to get your daughter something really good.

If you want something that will last, you might want to check out something like the Yamaha P95 - [URL="http://bestdigitalpianoz.com/yamaha/yamaha-p95"]Yamaha P95 - get a great deal! | Best digital piano deals[/URL]

But if she's just starting to learn, perhaps something cheaper like a Casio. Check Amazon (one of the best online stores for digital pianos)

Hope that helps

Old 01-07-2012, 02:42 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,534,315 times
> ...if this digital piano will last her 5 years, i will be happy...

A long time ago - when it was almost a "recent release" - I bought a Korg T1 - 88key full-sized synthesizer/piano (if you want it to be). Though I popped it open to replace a battery once and, at the same time, relocated said battery holder so it was more accessible, the synth has problem-free served me well for more than 20 years. The keyboard action is piano-like (velocity sensitive keys as well).

That synth was probably top-of-the-line at the time; its value has been proven over time.

[my teenybopper daughter is playing with it every day now though she has yet to take lessons]

Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 AM

300 posts, read 498,401 times
I have a Roland HPi-7s that I got from Jordan Kitts a few years ago. It was about 3K with my old acoustic piano trade-in, and I love it! It has a full color screen with integrated songs and games, and you can plug in your USB drive with MIDI files on it and the screen will display the "sheet music" for it. It's a great piano!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia