U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 01:08 AM

697 posts, read 2,019,050 times

Advertisements

I've read that the Virginia legislature finally approved to give funding to help build new Northern Virginia and Hampton area roads and enlargen existing ones (albeit with increased taxes and expenses to NOVA residents, grrrrrrrrrr).

Does anyone know when and where this relief will be coming?

Transportation Package Nears Approval in Northern Virginia - washingtonpost.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 03:31 AM

23,507 posts, read 33,212,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
I've read that the Virginia legislature finally approved to give funding to help build new Northern Virginia and Hampton area roads and enlargen existing ones (albeit with increased taxes and expenses to NOVA residents, grrrrrrrrrr).

Does anyone know when and where this relief will be coming?

Transportation Package Nears Approval in Northern Virginia - washingtonpost.com
The money is going to come from extra fines that VA residents will pay for driving offenses (for example an additional $1k for reckless driving with regular fines). Out of state drivers are going to get off easy with this garbage. All i have to say is that NC is looking like a certainity more than a possibility now.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:33 AM

19,183 posts, read 28,287,460 times
Fines and fees are not the only revenue sources involved, and many of the increases will hit out-of-state drivers and tourists as well as locals. Still, the whole deal is something of a cop-out by the legislature. Apparently they just love this Commonwealth idea whenever they are by default returning 28 cents out of each tax dollar back to NoVa, but not so fond of it when it means they might have to chip in for NoVa road and mass transit improvements. Still, these things are badly needed here, and if paying for them ourselves is the only way to get them done, I don't think we really have a choice but to do it. But maybe we should turn the VA portion of the Beltway into a toll road. We could use SmartPass technology for that. Live in any of the areas that have to pay for all this, and you just sail through the SmartPass lanes. Toll = $0. Don't have one of those local SmartPass thingies? No problem...that'll be $75.00 per trip, please. No wait, that's vindictive. Make it $50.00 per trip and see how these down-staters and rural folks like it. Maybe put 66, 267, and 95/395 onto the same basis as well...fair is fair, after all.

As for what might get done, that will of course be a matter for separate arguing and haggling over, but the big picture is kind of laid out in TransAction 2030, which is the NoVa Transportation Authority's general long-range expression of what needs to be done.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:35 PM

62 posts, read 280,726 times
95 is a frigging mess, only 3 lanes for the most traveled highway on the east coast is crazy , they need to add 2 more lanes in both directions, and extend the HOV lanes down to Massaponox.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:43 PM

275 posts, read 778,178 times
Southeast Virginia is feeling the brunt of it too. I-64 and 664 are still two lanes in some parts, and it's a pain getting from Norfolk to Hampton, and don't get me started on the Williamsburg section. The area is getting too overcrowded for two lane roads. I'm for raising money for improvements, but this is just ridiculous.

I'd love to make a drive to DC or even Richmond, but getting up the Interstate is now a chore instead of a fun drive.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:56 PM

697 posts, read 2,019,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
The money is going to come from extra fines that VA residents will pay for driving offenses (for example an additional $1k for reckless driving with regular fines). Out of state drivers are going to get off easy with this garbage. All i have to say is that NC is looking like a certainity more than a possibility now.
I see. I read somewhere about the traffic violation fines increasing some time ago, but I didn't put one and two together. I did get a DUI recently, but I am so glad now that it was over the river in Maryland. Not that I'm glad to get a DUI mind you, but if it was anywhere, at least it was in Maryland.

I did see a graphic on the Washington Post on some speculations on where some of the road projects could go.

Transit Projects That Might Advance - washingtonpost.com

1) Wide Routes 7 / 15 Bypass from 4 to 6 lanes in Loudon County.

2) Route 7 construction of interchange at Ashburn Village Boulevard in Loudon County.

3) Widen Route 50 to 6 lanes near Dulles Airport in Loudon County.

4) Reconstruction of Gainesville interchange I-66 / Route 29 in Prince Williams County.

5) Route 28 widening near Manassas in Prince Williams County.

6) Fairfax County Parkway improvements including HOV lane, whole parkway in Fairfax County.

7) Route 1 widening to 6 lanes near Woodbridge in Prince Williams County.

8) Improvements to I-66 inside the 495 Beltway in Fairfax County and Arlington.

9) Improvement to Franconia Road / South Van Dorn Street near Alexandria in Fairfax County.

These seem like decent plans, but I don't know how much they will help.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:36 PM

566 posts, read 2,750,690 times
I know that # 4 is a certainty. The actual interchange is phase IV of the project and they are currently constructing phase III, which will be done in 2010.

Another place that they are going to get the money for NOVA is from the increased Grantors Tax. On July 12th, the Northern VA Transportation Authority approved the tax increase. We are currently taxed at $1 for every $1000 in sales price. As of 1/1/08, that will jump to $5 for every $1000. So if you sell your $500K home this year, you will pay $500. Next year you will pay $2500!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia