Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 04:47 PM

373 posts, read 820,704 times

Advertisements

I'm debating whether to drive home for Thanksgiving. It would be a 10-13 hour drive, depending on traffic and weather, and I wouldn't be able to leave until Thursday morning because I have to work late on Wednesday. I'd get there in time for dinner, stay a few nights, and drive back on Sunday.

Other option is to just stay put, catch up on work in a deserted office, and spend some quality time with Netflix. Although I'm sure I could find some straggler friends or coworkers, or do something noble in the community, I'd rather spend the day alone if not with family -- I enjoy the me-time.

Any local restaurants do great Thanksgiving day dinners? Not the kind I have to preorder, but where I could actually show up and eat.

Or should I pack up the dog and hit the road? I do like my family, and I haven't seen everybody in a while, but I don't care for the drive and flights are just way too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 05:22 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,436,999 times
Years ago, husband and I used to grumble about splitting the holidays between our families. We'd spend part of the day at each's house. At the time it seemed a terrible inconvenience when we wanted to be at home.

Now, all our parents are gone and I would give anything to spend a day with them. Remember, they won't be around forever.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:33 PM

15,139 posts, read 27,747,332 times
I feel for you, personally I couldn't do a 10-13 hr. drive either and don't like the way TSA has gone for flying options, have you checked into Amtrack or anything?. We're spending the day w/good friends that thankfully invite us every yr. I'm sure there are restaurants open, but sorry can't I give you any specific names - I hope someone has some recommendations for you on that. On another note, day after Thanksgiving is Alexandria's tree lighting (although it'll be COLD ) - planning on doing that also after work Friday. When I lived in PA there was usually someone who had an "orphans" Thankgiving for those that couldn't get home to family, etc., maybe someone you know will have something?

Old 11-20-2010, 06:43 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,063,151 times
I sympathize. Seeing family is special, but at the same time a 10-13 hour drive is really hard, especially when you'd have to return so quickly. I've reached the point where I can no longer do long drives like that, especially when the weather may be rainy. Can you take a train or a bus? I like to take Vamoose to New York.

Here's a thread with great suggestions for local restaurants. If you do stay in town, that's what I'd do. And I'd videotape a special greeting that morning, or maybe part of your Nova celebration and send it that day to your family, so they can feel they're with you--even if it's long distance.

Thanksgiving Dinner

Old 11-20-2010, 07:16 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,151,003 times
I don't recall where you live but I know that in Alexandria, both of the Holiday Inn hotels - North Old Town and Eisenhower Avenue - are having Thanksgiving Buffets. The former is having a Breakfast Buffet as well if you don't feel like watching the Macy's parade.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:54 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,946,995 times
Are you sure that flights are too expensive? When you factor in gas, tolls, wear and tear on your car, plus meals along the way, you may be able to find a cheap flight that is a better deal that spending 24 hours driving. Your time is worth something too!

A chart on this page shows the cost per mile when driving. Do the math and see if flying isn't cheaper.
Your Driving Costs Before deregulation flying was more expensive than driving. That is often not the case today. If you were my kid, I'd pay for the flight! It's not that much money! Perhaps your parents would at least split the cost with you.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:22 PM

288 posts, read 733,639 times
If it were me I'd get in the car and go! I still do it. I'd turn the trip into something fun even if it's boring, grab a Red Bull, crank up the radio, stop at a few places along the way and before the day is over you'll be there. For me I'd go see family any chance I could get, that was the best time ever. Are you ever really going to be caught up at work? Why spend a holiday catching up on work? That work is always going to be there even if you're not, but holidays and being able to get time off seems to not come around all that often. Time off is so precious, why waste it. Does Amtrak go that way?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:22 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,984,781 times
Thursday morning traffic is MUCH lighter than Wed. afternoon/evening! Of course, Sunday will be extremely heavy.....
However...no way would I drive more than 3-5 hours for a short weekend!

Old 11-22-2010, 06:05 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,836,169 times
Amtrak has added extra trains on the entire Northeastern network , but booking now could be very expensive. You need to give at least 14 days in advanced on the Northeastern network.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Years ago, husband and I used to grumble about splitting the holidays between our families. We'd spend part of the day at each's house. At the time it seemed a terrible inconvenience when we wanted to be at home.

Now, all our parents are gone and I would give anything to spend a day with them. Remember, they won't be around forever.
I'd rather spend it here with my wife, kids, and available siblings. I'm happy that travel PITA is a thing of the past. I always preferred and insisted on having the old folks come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia