Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:33 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Oh yeah I think south Arlington would be a good spot for diversity.
Actually, I completely forgot about South Arlington. That was another major spot I had marked as a high interested in area. I really liked the proximity to DC, plus being more affordable than DC or northern Arlington, without compromising safety, but also getting diversity.

I think it slipped my mind due to seeming lack of Asians. But with Fairfax in one direction, and DC so close in the other...the fit works very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,021,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
There are plenty of code words for white - 'upscale', 'not too much diversity', etc. on and on. There are NO code words for 'asian', I mean I could use the catch-all 'diversity' word, but its code word for 'black'. If you can tune me on to the code words for 'Asian', I will try to meet your politically correct needs
I have no politically-correct needs. Quite the opposite.

I don't think "diversity" is code for "black" at all. "Diversity" means that there are many different varieties of whatever categories are in question. So on the issue of race/ethnicity, I would expect a "diverse" area to contain a mix of white, Asian, black, middle Eastern, Mediterranean, etc.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:50 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,021,463 times
Also, as a fellow Catholic, I just wanted to point out that Maryland & Virginia are, respectively, named for Queen Henrietta Maria and Queen Elizabeth I. =)

Old 11-22-2010, 11:02 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,208,291 times
Quote:
Actually, I completely forgot about South Arlington. That was another major spot I had marked as a high interested in area. I really liked the proximity to DC, plus being more affordable than DC or northern Arlington, without compromising safety, but also getting diversity.

I think it slipped my mind due to seeming lack of Asians. But with Fairfax in one direction, and DC so close in the other...the fit works very well.
Nope haven't met many south Arlington Asisans. Living in south Arlington for me is really all about being close to the city without the price tag of north Arlington or the complications of DC (particularly with all the parking/driving issues I personally have in the District). I'm usually crossing the Potomac in about 8 or 9 minutes without rush hour traffic and I'm closer to many city spots than some District residents.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:08 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,196,813 times
I'll echo that south Arlington doesn't have much for the Asianophile. Food markets cater to Latinos, while the Asian markets are mostly located outside the Beltway plus inner-Beltway Annandale. I think Falls Church makes the most sense for all the parameters you've mentioned, especially if you get in the city of Falls Church's school system's boundaries, which has an excellent reputation.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:22 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,844,097 times
Quote:
There are plenty of code words for white - 'upscale', 'not too much diversity', etc. on and on. There are NO code words for 'asian', I mean I could use the catch-all 'diversity' word, but its code word for 'black'. If you can tune me on to the code words for 'Asian', I will try to meet your politically correct needs
Those may be code words in other cities, but not here. "Upscale" means wealthy. If you move into an upscale neighborhood thinking it will be 98% white, you're in for a surprise. There are a lot of wealthy people from around the world here, particularly from Asian and Mid-Eastern countries. "Diversity" is not code for "black," it's code for "wide variety" and (in most cases) the diversity you find is not just racial but also political and (to an extent) religious.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:26 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,844,097 times
Quote:
I tried to delete/change it immediately after I posted it, but couldn't. Ah, well.
Ha ha ha--that's ok, we forgive you. The first time.

16,265 posts, read 42,984,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I have no politically-correct needs. Quite the opposite.

I don't think "diversity" is code for "black" at all. "Diversity" means that there are many different varieties of whatever categories are in question. So on the issue of race/ethnicity, I would expect a "diverse" area to contain a mix of white, Asian, black, middle Eastern, Mediterranean, etc.
To be fair, I did think of using the code word 'diversity', but from my understanding of DC, the entire region is incredibly diverse with every kind of person throughout the entire region. Plus, I think I would have been disuaded from FC/Annandale and told to look at Silver Spring or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Also, as a fellow Catholic, I just wanted to point out that Maryland & Virginia are, respectively, named for Queen Henrietta Maria and Queen Elizabeth I. =)
Well, on the plus side, there is a St. Charles MD and a St. Mary MD...so take that Frisco people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Nope haven't met many south Arlington Asisans. Living in south Arlington for me is really all about being close to the city without the price tag of north Arlington or the complications of DC (particularly with all the parking/driving issues I personally have in the District). I'm usually crossing the Potomac in about 8 or 9 minutes without rush hour traffic and I'm closer to many city spots than some District residents.
Major plusses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
I'll echo that south Arlington doesn't have much for the Asianophile. Food markets cater to Latinos, while the Asian markets are mostly located outside the Beltway plus inner-Beltway Annandale. I think Falls Church makes the most sense for all the parameters you've mentioned, especially if you get in the city of Falls Church's school system's boundaries, which has an excellent reputation.
Yeah, me too. Falls Church seems to the best fit by a long shot. Annandale I would lose the subway access. Capitol Hill I would lose the Asian proximities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Another nice thing about my neighborhood is that I'm 15 minutes from Annandale and probably 15-20 from the Eden Center so you can still be close to the action without living in it. But for the true suburban experience Burke is still my top spot though with newer and cheaper housing.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
To be fair, I did think of using the code word 'diversity', but from my understanding of DC, the entire region is incredibly diverse with every kind of person throughout the entire region. Plus, I think I would have been disuaded from FC/Annandale and told to look at Silver Spring or something...

Well, on the plus side, there is a St. Charles MD and a St. Mary MD...so take that Frisco people!

Major plusses!

Yeah, me too. Falls Church seems to the best fit by a long shot. Annandale I would lose the subway access. Capitol Hill I would lose the Asian proximities.
I wouldn't say that the ENTIRE region is diverse. There are parts that are almost strictly black. On the other end I definitely felt that I stuck out like a sore thumb when I lived in Oakton. Overall its extremely diverse but not equally diverse throughout the region though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia