Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,115 times

Advertisements

Back in the day we'd go to the Springfield mall every other week during winter. By the food court, they had a monster 3-story playland which was perfect when it was too cold to play outside. I'd sit and watch the kids while the Missus would shop at Target and the other stores. $4 bought a 2-hour wristband, and they were pretty sloppy on checking.

Then one cold day in December, we went and it was closed. Permanently. We left and have never been back since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:48 AM

437 posts, read 1,228,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charveldude View Post
You're probably right, and central Springfield can draw from a pretty large surrounding area. The problem is that I think of town center shopping developments as being a more upscale thing, and upscale is something Springfield is decidely not.

Frankly, Annandale would be a better place for something like that, though the traffic is already horrendous there. In fact, the traffic and comparative inaccessibility of Annandale is what scared us away from renting there.
Yeah, 'cause Annandale is so much more upscale than Springfield?!?

Springfield Mall is a great location for retail because of the access to interstates, Metro and its central Springfield location. Rt. 236 in Annandale - not so much. Traffic there is, as stated, already a nightmare. The Springfield Mall area is already set up to handle all that traffic.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
DMV is the acronym for the region, not just Nova. It stands for Delaware-Maryland-Virginia. Weird sounding, yes, but it's been in use for a long time.
I was referring to it meaning DC, Maryland, Virginia.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I think we mostly all agreed that it does mean DC, MD and VA - DelMarVa is Delaware, Maryland, Virginia.

As to the topic: I'm still one of the folks that wants enclosed malls! When it horrible weather, it's nice to not have to be outside to visit many store. I'd personally like to see the mall stay and become a regular mall again.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I think we mostly all agreed that it does mean DC, MD and VA - DelMarVa is Delaware, Maryland, Virginia.
Delmarva is completely different from DMV, just sayin'

Old 07-11-2012, 07:19 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
in the beginning I think they wanted to experience a non-ghetto mall in northern VA, but then ironically that's what Springfield mall turned into
LOLOOL, the epithets and thinly veiled prejudices are HILARIOUS!!!!!! You do understand that "ghetto people, undesirables and riff raff" ALREADY EXIST IN FARIFAX COUNTY!??!!!

And why would people travel halfway across the area just to make trouble at a freaking mall.........some people here got some issues.

Anyways, I chock it up to being just too many malls in one metro area and the changing of retail at the same time (think internet). There just is little reason to head to malls these days in the age of Amazon for certain things. Whats more with endless big box mulitiplication it turns out you don't necessarily need to go to a MALL to find something when you could find the exact same kind of store two blocks closer to where you live.

The town center concept sounds interesting but it will be a ways off. It takes a while for a wholesale overhaul of a neighborhood save for intense financial focus. Fixing pedestrian access and access to transit along with consolidation of blocks and places to go can help in the long run though, at least for people in Central Springfield.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:29 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
LOLOOL, the epithets are HILARIOUS!!!!!! You do understand that "ghetto people, undesirables and riff raff" ALREADY EXIST IN FARIFAX COUNTY!??!!!

And why would people travel halfway across the area just to make trouble at a freaking mall.........some people here got some issues.

Anyways, I chock it up to being just too many malls in one metro area and the changing of retail at the same time (think internet). There just is little reason to head to malls these days in the age of Amazon for certain things. Whats more with endless big box mulitiplication it turns out you don't necessarily need to go to a MALL to find something when you could find the exact same kind of store two blocks closer to where you live.

The town center concept sounds interesting but it will be a ways off. It takes a while for a wholesale overhaul of a neighborhood save for intense financial focus. Fixing pedestrian access and access to transit along with consolidation of blocks and places to go can help in the long run though, at least for people in Central Springfield.
Tell that to Tysons Corner 1 and 2 which are PACKED every day of the week. I went on a tuesday at 3, it was packed. The retail lease rates there continue to grow at 5%. To say brick and mortar is dead is not looking at the facts. Poorly managed, poorly located, and poor selection retail that you could replace with online shopping is dead. Your Best Buys, your old navys, even your gaps or banana republics all have sofisticated websites and sell products for under $50 in many cases with return policies which are better for shopping online. But good malls have things you cant feel or touch online, better selection, and a vibe of investment and renewal. You can never kill brick and mortar for all things, no matter what the majority of people will still want to sit in a couch, or bed at times. They will always want to feel the fabric on a 300 dollar dress or expensive suit. They will want to have a person that will help them filter through crap and find them the unique product they need.

Cheap highschool level service in brick is dead, it is the return of the salesman and I for one am all for it. (sick and tired of getting helped at home depot by pimple faced 14 year olds who have never held a tool outside of shop class)

Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM

Hey hey hey, ease up. I never said "malls are dead", just that they're receeding. I also said doesn't make sense for CERTAIN THINGS.

Naturally, some stuff you can't get online and you have to see in the store. But it is true, average big box places are EVERYWHERE these days, so the concept of numerous malls existing seems redundant.

Also I forget which but either 1 or 2 at Tysons is rather high end compared to most malls I have been to. They cater to a more monied clientile than I remember frequenting Landmark or Springfield or Potomac Mills. (My family never shopped at Tysons cause the junk was way too pricey compared to other places).

As for cheap high school level service? Meh, what can I tell ya. As long as there is a need for low level retail service, kids and college age people will fill them. I know I work at Home Depot, I do my best to help but admittedly damned if I really gave a crap about it cause it's just a place holder job (as it is with many people).

Old 07-11-2012, 08:11 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,315,725 times
I am willing to pay more for a place that treats its customers (and its employees) right. Its a cycle

Employees get paid better and see it as a job they want to keep, they act better towards customers and continue to try to learn more about products and the business thereby providing a unique service, the customer returns even though the prices are 5-10% more than online because the service allows them to save time and attain the product they really need which helps save money over all as far as time/usability of what is purchased. Because customers return the place can continue to pay their employees better than elsewhere.

I simply think people are fed up with BAD brick and mortars is the point. But I think if anything people will pay a premium and be loyal to a place if it makes their lives better and easier than faceless internet databases with paid for "reviews". Cheap things will continue a trend towards online, premium products (flooring, furniture, nice clothing, etc) will continue to trend towards good brick and mortar.

I meant no offense towards any particular place, nor was I trying to be confrontational with you, I simply have had far too many bad experiences at big box stores which have taught me that its false economy to save 2 dollars on something but spend double the time and attain a lesser product.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 PM

Well those so called "good brick and mortar" stores can theoretically exist anywhere, including the new open air/ mixed use mecca that Springfield is touting but we are getting off track.

Frankly the Springfield Town Center concept has a lot of potential. Aside from Tysons, it's probably the most high profile redevelopment project in the county. Springfield has a wide cache area and it can be a destination for a wide variety of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia