Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 02:04 AM

22 posts, read 56,712 times

Advertisements

For any LEO's or anyone else in the know,
Are there any Police Department in the Loudoun or Fairfax Counties that actually have real reserve police officers? In other words, departments where Reserves are armed and have arrest rights like a regular LEO? I've looked around and it appears that a lot of the departments don't in this area. Although, the reservist/auxiliary officer is expected to go on traffic stops and "assist" the regular duty officer but they can't be armed and they can't make an arrest.
If anyone knows, I would be greatly interested. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 04:26 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Manassas City PD used to have Reserve Officers who were armed and worked with full time officers but I'm not sure they do anymore. Prince William County PD has Auxilliary Officers who are not armed. They can help with various duties such as directing traffic and such. Not sure about the others.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:56 AM

509 posts, read 974,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Manassas City PD used to have Reserve Officers who were armed and worked with full time officers but I'm not sure they do anymore. Prince William County PD has Auxilliary Officers who are not armed. They can help with various duties such as directing traffic and such. Not sure about the others.
When I lived in Manassas City I remember about the armed Reserve Officers. You may be right that they don't exist anymore - at least not on a full-time basis.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:55 PM

22 posts, read 56,712 times
Yea, I've looked at a few departments and it seems like most if not all are "assist" units with no arrest powers and not armed. DC Metro PD has an Armed Reserve Officer II but you have to be a level 1 for a bit before you get there and you still have to do the regular police stuff.

I used to be a MP and was looking to get back into law enforcement in a reserve capacity. Can't go full time because the pay just isn't there unfortunately (Single Income Family of 6) but I'm definitely not willing to do reserves if I have to do a traffic stop or any other LEO duty unarmed.

Well thanks anyway everyone! I appreciate all the answers!

Old 11-10-2013, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 5,023 times
The whole of northern Virginia has very few reserve opportunities. D.C. does have a reserve program, however you must have at least 60 college credits to be armed. if you do not have it you cannot be armed. Arlington county has a full reserve program, however you also need at least an associates degree. you also must LIVE IN Arlington county. Prince William/Fairfax counties have auxiliary programs only.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
You do realize you are responding to a 2010 thread?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:13 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
You do realize you are responding to a 2010 thread?
Works for me!

In any case, I was under the impression that EVERYONE has "arrest powers", not just law enforcement. The only difference I'm aware of is police can't easily be sued for "false arrest" while run-of-the-mill citizens can and, of course, the "arrested person" has to be turned over to law enforcement.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:53 PM

687 posts, read 1,376,670 times
Yes, in Virginia anyone can make a common law citizen's arrest for a felony or if they witness a breach of the peace. But you would be crazy to do this because it can turn ugly fast. Let's say the person you arrest for assault is actually the victim and trying to defend themselves you could be charged with false arrest. Also if the person you are arresting hits their head on the ground when you try to restrain them you could be sued for millions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia