U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-28-2010, 07:54 AM

170 posts, read 329,436 times
Default Where do you work? You're job is crap and mine is better.

Many of us don't mind shoveling minutiae for the govy and/or a govy agency and really just care if we bring home that bangin paycheck so we can take care of our families. But what about the other businesses in the region?

Does anyone work at:

Volkswagen of America in Herndon, VA
It's VW and it's the USA Headquarters! Anyone here work in the auto industry? Where do you go after? BMW USA is in SC, American Automakers are in MI, and CarMax is down in Richmond. Would you work here?

Verizon Business in Ashburn, VA
Verizon - A huge company - Would you work there? Verizon seems to have a ton of buildings in this area and in MD. Know anyone who works there? I don't.

Capital One in McLean, VA
Those evil credit card bastwicks! Would you work for them? The majority of their offices are in Richmond. Their little buidling seems to be surrounded by all of the construction lol!

and then -
DynCorp International is a United States-based private military company (PMC) and aircraft maintenance company. DynCorp receives more than 96 percent of its $2 billion in annual revenues from the federal government.

General Dynamics Corporation (NYSE: GD) is a U.S. defense conglomerate formed by mergers and divestitures, and as of 2008 it is the fifth largest defense contractor in the world.

Okay - Where should I work? I need a new job?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 08:08 AM

15,400 posts, read 17,611,839 times
LOL, I don't know about jobs with those other companies, but I'm guessing with a thread title like "You're job is crap and mine is better" a job with the Chamber of Commerce isn't quite your cup of tea...

Old 11-28-2010, 12:35 PM

510 posts, read 567,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
lol, i don't know about jobs with those other companies, but i'm guessing with a thread title like "you're job is crap and mine is better" a job with the chamber of commerce isn't quite your cup of tea...
lol!!

Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,806,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
LOL, I don't know about jobs with those other companies, but I'm guessing with a thread title like "You're job is crap and mine is better" a job with the Chamber of Commerce isn't quite your cup of tea...
A job as an editor or proofreader wouldn't do for the OP either. You're is a contraction of you are, not the same as your (possessive form).

Old 11-28-2010, 01:18 PM

677 posts, read 745,925 times
Sorry, Margery. Tried to give you rep points, but need to spread them around. I'm a grammar freak too. Its vs. it's is another pet peeve.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
A job as an editor or proofreader wouldn't do for the OP either. You're is a contraction of you are, not the same as your (possessive form).
That's too funny! I'm not a grammar freak but too many people get your and you're mixed up, as well as its and it's! Especially the latter two. They think it's is the possessive form (ownership) instead of its and not the contraction of it is. Anyway, that's off the subject, actually.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:36 PM

Does anyone work at Booz/BAH? What's it like?

Why do statistical websites such as Linkedin show that the number one employer prior to people joining Booz is the US Military?
Does the team you are on really matter a lot? Is there a lot of down time? Are you glad you joined Booz?

Last edited by rvasonicbloom; 11-28-2010 at 02:49 PM..

Old 11-28-2010, 03:19 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,373,728 times
rvasonicbloom:

really what are your qualifications? it's a futile exercise to just belt out names of companies asking strangers for their opinions.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:24 PM

intermediate level finance/business analyst
b.s. finance
cfa level 1

looking for finance or operations analyst role

but i'm really just interested in joining a good company

Old 11-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvasonicbloom View Post
Does anyone work at Booz/BAH? What's it like?

Why do statistical websites such as Linkedin show that the number one employer prior to people joining Booz is the US Military?
Does the team you are on really matter a lot? Is there a lot of down time? Are you glad you joined Booz?
I work with people from BAH, as they are one of the subcontractors working on a contract I work on. I work for another large defense contractor in this area.

I think like a lot of defense contractors, a good percentage of their employees are former military. It varies from one contractor to another though.

I am sure that it varies as to what project you are working on (or what "team" you are on) just like in any other company.

If it is at all like my job in the defense contracting world, there is no 'down time' so to speak. You are either working on a contract or you are going to be unemployed, as if you aren't working on a contract you are charging overhead which cuts into your company's profits. Of course, you can't charge a contract if you are not doing any work on it, so there is no 'down time' on a particular contract or project.

I can't answer of course if people at BAH like their job or not. The people I work with from there are very professional however. I'm sure as in any company there's people who really enjoy their job and others who don't like it so much.

Of course, for any defense contracting job, it is important that you are eligible for a US gov't security clearance. As long as you have good credit (no bankruptcies and no history of several or more delinquencies) and nothing to hide in your background, you should be fine. But that's one important thing to consider when pursuing a job in the defense industry - you will be required to get at least a US Secret clearance for sure. I would suspect you'll find at BAH as in most other defense contractors, almost all the employees have security clearances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia