U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 10:19 PM

193 posts, read 312,255 times
Reston or Fairfax would be my two suggestions. I don't think you'll find a place that meets all of your criteria although these two cities are both great in a number of categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 02:57 AM

487 posts, read 698,309 times
Welcome from Detroit.
I lived there for many years also
NOVA is alive and vibrant.
Mike gives good advise for areas to look
Check out the Redfin.com real estate site for the best search engine.
Plus they rebate to you 1.5% of the purchase price.
pretty cool
This is a good time to buy.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:36 AM

2,439 posts, read 5,890,575 times
Forget about Alexandria. You'd be paying dearly for proximity to DC that you don't need. Reston or Ashburn would be much better choices.
But as your son is only 3, keep in mind that he won't be in public elementary school for another two years. If you are planning to work outside the home, you will need to research day care/preschool options as well.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 AM

14 posts, read 8,646 times
Ha! Yes, the life of a hockey family! That's what we get for living in Michigan for sooo many years. The hockey town stigma!

Old 12-03-2010, 10:14 AM

Hi and thanks to everyone for all the great advice and well wishes. I was shocked at all the responses...we are looking forward to our move to NoVa. Reston got a lot of attention, so we will be sure to check out that area, as well as, Ashburn, Fairfax and Leesburg.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:17 AM

1,063 posts, read 860,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitygirl22 View Post
Hi there ~ My husband, 3 yr old son and myself will be relocating to Northern, VA / DC area in Feb. We are relocating after living in Metro Detroit our whole lives and then most recently in Cleveland, OH and Charlotte, NC.

I am sooooo confused on where to live or even start looking. Here are the details:

WORK
My husband will be working in Chantilly, VA.
He starts work between 5:30-6am
I have not ssecured employment, however, my career has been with major hoteliers in large cities.

SCHOOLS
Public - my son will be in pre-school/elementary school

We have always sacrificed location and amount of house for the best schools. Its our #1 priority

FOR FUN
Pro Sport Events (Hockey, Football, Baseball, etc.)
Concerts (major artists, all genres)
Restaurants (husband actually went to culinary school)
Shopping (usual suspects: Nordstrom, Macy's, Target, etc)
Mountain Biking, Triathlons, swimming, running, golf, boating, etc
Are there Lifetime Fitness Athletic Clubs in the area?
Zoos, museums, aquariums, parks, etc for kids

We love living in an area with a "downtown" or "mainstreet" that is walkable from where we live.

In Charlotte, we lived in a planned community with every chain store (Buckle, Gap, Abercrombie, typical mall stores) and restaurant known to mankind. It was like an outdoor mall in the middle of houses, like an old village town. All walkable from our home.

HOUSING
First...all I can say is STICKER SHOCK!
Second...STICKER SHOCK!

so confused in which area to live.

We will rent...shooting for $2000/month and under definitely need a 3 bedroom, hoping for four bedroom. Condos/townhouses are fine - high rises are out of the question. Some sort of yard - courtyard, that my son can play in.

I have been to the DC area a few times. I loved Alexandria (and Old Town) Stayed at a Downtown DC hotel once, a crystal city hotel another time. Not familiar with the suburbs at all.

Is it possible to live in Alexandria and commute to Chantilly? My husband will start work at 530am...so I thought the commute may be doable during the early morn hours. What would the commute time be approx? i guess this is what they call a reverse commute? living near DC and commuting to the burbs.

If not Alexandria , I have done a bit of research (just on realtor.com)

I have seen different areas but have no idea of the commute to chantilly, schools, safety...some are southern some are more northern.

Areas such as:
Woodbridge
Manassas
Ashburn
Fairfax
Centreville
Chantilly
Reston
Vienna
Herndon
Leesburg
(mc lean seemed far too expensive)

Am i on the right track? Can anyone suggest which of the above are the better schools, commutability? Rank them? Any other suggestions on where to live?

Major Concerns:
Schools
Safety
Commute
Walkable community

Thanks!
We just moved from the Charlotte area. Sounds like you may have lived in Huntersville? We were in the Concord/Huntersville area down 73.

We live in Purcellville, but that could be one long commute. I think you could get to Rte 50 or take the Snickersville Turnpike in a reasonable amount of time. I am finding Purcellville to be very family friendly and the town is walkable and seems very safe. The schools I have heard good things about. We have two kids 3 years & 18 months.

You could also try Sterling or Brambelton or even Cascades. When we lived here before moving to NC we lived in Sterling near Dulles Town Center mall and we weren't far from Cascades. Nice area with shopping around.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:26 AM

2,012 posts, read 2,853,013 times
Brambleton has a walkable town center and the schools (Loudoun County) are good, but your budget definitely places you in condo territory. The rental market is SUPER tight right now. Here's a list of current rentals in the MRIS so you can see what the prices are like. We have lots of parks and playgrounds, so your kid will have places to play even without your own yard. The commute to Chantilly is pretty good, because there are two basic ways to get there, both of which circumvent the toll roads.

Also, the town center is still fairly young - there are some good shops and restaurants, but no big retailers like the Gap. Here's the BTC site if you want to see what's there.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Hi, thanks! Yes, Huntersville (Birkdale)! We were across the street from the hustle and bustle near the golf course. Wow! What a difference for what you get (in regards to housing) for the price in NoVa. Before that, we were in the Lake Norman area (I thought traffic was bad on Brawley School Road...) sounds like Metro DC is insane in regards to traffic!

Old 12-03-2010, 11:52 AM

1,063 posts, read 860,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcitygirl22 View Post
Hi, thanks! Yes, Huntersville (Birkdale)! We were across the street from the hustle and bustle near the golf course. Wow! What a difference for what you get (in regards to housing) for the price in NoVa. Before that, we were in the Lake Norman area (I thought traffic was bad on Brawley School Road...) sounds like Metro DC is insane in regards to traffic!
Yeah, traffic down there has nothing on the traffic up here. Though you get used to it after awhile. I moved here in 96 from Indiana and while it was hard to get used to at first you learn to deal.

I thought you were near Birkdale. We lived near Skybrook and Highland Creek. We still have our house and we are renting it out. Hopefully, the market picks up in a couple of years or so and we can sell it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia