Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 12:46 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times

Advertisements

This is for any of us heading out on Rte 7 West past the Purcellville, Round Hill area. I came in from Winchester to Ashburn awhile ago and the fog was really thick, like something from a scary movie. Seriously, I couldn't see the vehicle right in front of me. There was thick fog just outside of Leesburg and the super-thick stuff 1-5 mi near Round Hill, starting at the High Hill Orchards Country Store (the one with the covered wagon in front). The super-thick fog occurs around the first mountain so be VERY careful with the ascent/descent; it's dangerous.

Not sure if it's lifted or will be worse by rush house but I'm out of here before it gets dark. Please drive carefully!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 01:39 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Thanks so much for the information. I am on my way out to Leesburg now, from Lovettsville. I won't be back until much later tonight. I wonder how much worse it will get in my area? I'm going to check accuweather.com .

Old 11-30-2010, 01:40 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
"The Mountain" is the main reason Winchester/Frederick/Clarke will never be part of Northern Virginia. It's like that a lot in cooler weather. Then, of course, the ice/snow stuff make it very trecherous in the winter.

South Jersey Styx, you're fairly new to the area so you probably don't remember when the TWA flight crashed into Mount Weather . . . 36 years ago tomorrow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_514

That Mountain is very dangerous.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:30 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,195 times
I remember that crash very well, there was a lot of speculation about whether it was sabotage, it was the first time many of us heard about the underground government facility at Mt. Weather.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:32 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
"The Mountain" is the main reason Winchester/Frederick/Clarke will never be part of Northern Virginia. It's like that a lot in cooler weather. Then, of course, the ice/snow stuff make it very trecherous in the winter.

South Jersey Styx, you're fairly new to the area so you probably don't remember when the TWA flight crashed into Mount Weather . . . 36 years ago tomorrow. TWA Flight 514 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That Mountain is very dangerous.
Oooh . . . scariness. LynchburgLover, thnx for the info of the plane crash. I didn't know about it.

Actually, when we bought the house in Winchester in the middle of December last yr, it was the day it snowed really bad. We went to settlement, picked up the keys and went to our storage unit in Ashburn to get a few things, including the snow shovels. We decided to stop at Wegmen's (Rte 7 outside Leesburg) and didn't realize that the snow was falling about 1" per hr. The trip back to Winchester was treacherous. And when we reached the mountain, it had not been plowed and I was terrified. Now I am originally up north and accustomed to driving in snow, ice, bad thunderstorms, etc. but this time--this really scared me. We inched down that mountain and I felt that one bad slip and we were off that mountain into the ravine. On the opposite side of the road, road crews had showed up and were helping motorists ascending the mountain who were getting stuck and slipping backwards.

New to Winchester and a lesson learned--when the weather predictions say snow and ice, head home ASAP!

Old 12-01-2010, 04:18 PM

367 posts, read 884,774 times
Ahhh... when you hit that fog you are driving over the mountain, Mt.Weather to be exact. The mountain is named exactly for it name weather is often exterme up there. In the year I worked up there it was hell. Just take you time and keep it moving, consider yourself lucky you don't have to go any further up the mountain!
Also it's very pretty in the winter when it ices!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia