U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2010, 02:19 PM

764 posts, read 527,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
It wouldn't have been a dealbreaker for me, but I was surprised to find that self-service car washes (the kind where you pull into a bay and wash your car yourself with the sprayer and brush) are rare here. I prefer that kind. I finally found one in Manassas that I like.

I thought I was the only person who missed those car washes! There's also one at the Shell station (used to be Crown) on Leesburg Pike across from the Culmore shopping center in Falls Church.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 02:48 PM

130 posts, read 213,248 times
Wait.... there are times when it *isn't* rush hour?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:32 PM

510 posts, read 587,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
I wish someone told me that when refering to let's say road North 29 and South 29... it's more like north = east and south = west. To this day it still confuses me! This can also be true for signs for 495. I have yet to figure out what is the outer and inner loop.
The beltway doesn't bother me, but Rt. 29 is a pet peeve of mine too! The only place it heads SOUTH is after Warrenton down to Culpeper and beyond (I guess). Here in NOVA it is east/west! I can't count the times I've gone on it the wrong way trying to guess whether "south" or "north" is the way I wanted to go. Someone needs to fix the signs on it here in NOVA, but they won't as it's been this way since I moved down here in 1981 (and before that, obviously).

Old 12-02-2010, 05:59 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,417,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
The beltway doesn't bother me, but Rt. 29 is a pet peeve of mine too! The only place it heads SOUTH is after Warrenton down to Culpeper and beyond (I guess). Here in NOVA it is east/west! I can't count the times I've gone on it the wrong way trying to guess whether "south" or "north" is the way I wanted to go. Someone needs to fix the signs on it here in NOVA, but they won't as it's been this way since I moved down here in 1981 (and before that, obviously).
I'm with both of you! I've done the same thing.

I also wish that the route 66 entry ramps were better marked in the McLean area, near the beltway. I visit a friend out there and always get turned around.

Heather, I don't know if your confusion is the same as mine was about the inner and outer loops, but here was the solution to my confusion. If you think of one O a little smaller than another placed inside the bigger one, the smaller one is the "inner loop." Therefore, for example, if you are going north on 495 from the Mixing Bowl/Springfield area to Georgetown Pike, for example, you are on the inner loop. If you are going south on 495 from Georgetown Pike to Springfield, you are on the outer loop.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:06 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,096,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Heather, I don't know if your confusion is the same as mine was about the inner and outer loops, but here was the solution to my confusion. If you think of one O a little smaller than another placed inside the bigger one, the smaller one is the "inner loop." Therefore, for example, if you are going north on 495 from the Mixing Bowl/Springfield area to Georgetown Pike, for example, you are on the inner loop. If you are going south on 495 from Georgetown Pike to Springfield, you are on the outer loop.
Or another way to remember:

Inner Loop is clockwise. Outer Loop is counterclockwise.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:20 PM

186 posts, read 303,607 times
Hi Jenny,
We lived all over the US and even lived over seas for three years. The biggest shock (or disappointment) is the way sports are here. We are new to sports with young kids so do not have a lot to compare. The soccer is run quite well in that all the games and practices are at one location (Gainesville, Haymarket, Bristow area). However, our sons who are under the age of 10 have to go to practice at 8:00 pm on a school night and the drive is about 25 minutes from our home. There's no way to request a coach who practices closer to our kids' school. We've had this discussion with so many parents who feel the same way. Even some coaches have said they wish they could get kids who live closer to the practice site so more could show up.

Good luck with it all!

Old 12-02-2010, 06:38 PM

5,619 posts, read 9,556,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker16 View Post
Wait.... there are times when it *isn't* rush hour?
I believe that would be: 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. and probably 2 or 3 a.m. until about 4 a.m. lol

Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I believe that would be: 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. and probably 2 or 3 a.m. until about 4 a.m. lol
Negative, ghost rider. They do construction on the beltway between midnight and 5 am, and shut it down completely at short intervals. I've come back from class late at night on Fridays to that joy sometimes!!!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:25 PM

5,619 posts, read 9,556,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Negative, ghost rider. They do construction on the beltway between midnight and 5 am, and shut it down completely at short intervals. I've come back from class late at night on Fridays to that joy sometimes!!!
Guess I stand corrected - there is NO time to avoid traffic LOL

Old 12-02-2010, 10:10 PM

1,759 posts, read 998,439 times
I am from NJ, and I guess it's all relative, how things are perceived here. I find people to be VERY nice in NoVa, and I love that strangers will talk to me. I always talk to strangers but up north it's not well-received. =D

I am also amazed I don't get the finger while driving and that people actually let me change lanes without making me feel like it could be the last thing I ever do.

I love being called Ma'am, I love that the cashiers acknowledge my existence and say "Have a nice day," I love that neighbors I haven't actually met yet still wave "hello."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia