Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 13,458 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am relatively new here, but I thought I'd post and get some feedback on this topic. I am moving to NoVa next week from out of state, and there is only so much research you can do on the Internet. I thought I'd see if anyone has any advice to share about things they wish they'd known about NoVa before moving there. I am particularly interested in hearing from those of you who moved to NoVa from different parts of the U.S.-- what did you find to be the biggest shock, or the biggest difference? What pleasantly surprised you about the area? Is the cost of living REALLY as high as everyone makes it sound?

My family (hubby, kids age 11 and 7) and I are moving to Leesburg, but my new job is in Reston. We're coming from a mid-size Midwestern city. I am just looking for some practical, everyday advice/comments from folks who've gone through the same thing I am going through, or about to go through.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:34 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Biggest shock was the traffic. It's not just during rush hour (though that's the worst, obviously). Any time I want to go to the mall or the grocery store I have to mentally prepare to sit in traffic, even on Saturdays.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:16 PM

238 posts, read 696,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Any time I want to go to the mall or the grocery store I have to mentally prepare to sit in traffic, even on Saturdays.
And sometimes on Sundays... and at night, i.e. 10p-4a when they're working on the roads.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:14 PM

214 posts, read 499,715 times
Quote:
Biggest shock was the traffic. It's not just during rush hour (though that's the worst, obviously). Any time I want to go to the mall or the grocery store I have to mentally prepare to sit in traffic, even on Saturdays.
Along with this, it's important to leave earlier than you think if you need to be somewhere, even if it is only a mile away. I like to arrive early or on time for things. My first few months here, I was late to everything!

Also, be prepared for aggressive drivers.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:48 AM

487 posts, read 1,358,169 times
Im like you. moved in from somewhere else. And like you I asked for advise. And got the same advise you are getting and will continue to get. Which is to try to live close to your work. And like you I still moved to the outskirts of the NOVA area. In my case Nokesville. All my experience told me that Traffic cant be that bad and I can handle the long commute. That only lasted a year. good thing we were only renting because before our lease was up we were looking closer in. Which means we had to bear the expense and hassle of a second move in as many years.

So What is your housing budget? I mean top budget. I mean the one you don't tell people but could actually stretch to. That one.

Look on Redfin.com at the following areas
Reston
Herndon
Vienna
and a few others.
Ask for specific advise about any area you are considering.
In all these areas there are good parts and parts you want to avoid.
And Reston is a lovely area why not look to live there?

Old 12-01-2010, 02:50 AM

487 posts, read 1,358,169 times
Also I learned to honk at aggressive drivers.
Every body does it here
Its fun.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:12 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
Quote:
Ditto. We thought choosing to be near Burke would make the commute "not to bad" because of the option of public transportation, but the VRE hours don't mesh with my husband's schedule. The 1-1.5 hour commute each way, 5 days per week, is getting on our nerves after 3 years. As for running errands, you are right. Even being at home, I have to time it right or else I'm stuck in traffic with two small kids in the back seat getting very impatient. Outings on weekends can be a nightmare because everyone has the same idea--every place you go is so crowded.

Cost of living is high, but my biggest shocker has been the cost of a reliable, qualified sitter. Everything related to children costs a lot and you have to make decisions months (sometimes almost a year in advance) because of the high demand: preschool, camps, classes, etc.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:49 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,094 times
Traffic. We moved from PA to Ashburn, VA and everyone warned us about the traffic but I never imagined it was as bad as it is. I mean I worked in Ashburn and it took me 20 minutes or so to get to work. Crazy.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:25 AM

175 posts, read 438,147 times
We moved from a small town in Florida one year ago. Other than real estate, the cost of utilities, car insurance etc has been better for us here. Real estate is ridiculous for old homes on small lots. My husband works in DC, so the commute has trapped us, however Reston is nice and the houses are still pricey but at least newer. Traffic is what it is, I do not find it to be as bad a NYC since we are within a major city, you learn to timing and routes and living closer to work is a must. I was surprised that it feels more townish so close to a major city and that crime is actually lower than in Florida. Our kids love it, far more opportunities and they love doing city things or just walking the trails of Great Falls park. Welcome and I hope you have a positive experience

Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 AM

246 posts, read 1,355,209 times
I would agree with most, the traffic is terrible here. I am from L.A., CA and the traffic there, in my honest opinion, is not as bad as it is in NoVA. There are not enough highway options here to get people from point A to point B. Therefore, everyone loads onto the beltway, 395, 95 or 66 to name a few. Also, the city streets are not grided well like "newer" cities. With that said, you can't simply get off the highway and use surface streets to get to places. Very few streets run truly North-South or East-West for several miles. Streets deadend or go from going N-S to E-W....very strange.

I found that Sunday's have the least amount of traffic. Wait till kick off for football, and the roads and supermarkets have much less people. Driving on the highways on Sat. (especially on 66) is like a parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia