Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 04:39 PM

373 posts, read 821,190 times

Advertisements

I just received notice that there will be a special assessment to cover operating expenses from last year's snowstorms. It will total almost $1,000 per unit. We already have a snow removal line in each year's budget, so I don't know if we ended up being charged far more than expected, or if there was extensive property damage, or what. I know last winter was a doozy, but are you other condo owners out there being slammed with special assessments from it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 05:54 PM

100 posts, read 220,046 times
Good grief. We're also condo owners but haven't been charged anything extra for snow removal. $1,000 per unit seems very high, but we once had to pay $1,000 for the replacement of a sprinkler head and some drywalling , so maybe that's a "typical" amount for a special assessment. Luckily, that's the only assessment we've had since we've been here.

How many units are in your complex?

Old 12-01-2010, 06:10 PM

373 posts, read 821,190 times
We're a little less than 200 garden-style units. We've had special assessments on top of fee increases every year since I've been there (the better part of this decade). One year it was for new dumpsters. Another it was for roofing. Another it was to build the reserves. When I bought the place, it cost me $1200 a month -- comparable to rent. Now it is approaching $1800 a month.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:28 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
$1000.00 is very high. Ask to see the HOA's budget and audit. You should know where you money is going. Get involved.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:59 PM

100 posts, read 220,046 times
Yeah, I really can't believe that your complex spent nearly $200,000 on snow removal. I agree with mikebnllnb that you should look into the numbers. It sounds as if your condo association isn't managing its funds well in general if it's charging assessments and increasing fees every year.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:23 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,708 times
I live in a condo development of 125 units in 5 buildings. Our snow assessment was $265.00 this year, the first time ever for a special assessment. However, our total fees, condo association and fees for 2 homeowner associations, are about $400/month and have remained at that for 6 years. Our reserves are quite high and the management is very good. You need to get involved and review the budget, it is easier to come up with a set amount each month than a large lump sum all at once

Old 12-02-2010, 07:26 AM

628 posts, read 1,933,587 times
I've lived in one townhouse condo and owned two resort area condos in the past and learned that the fiscal soundness of an association depends on owner involvement and owners collectively facing reality. The townhouse condo was very well run--owner involvement and professional management. The only special assessment I recall was to replace gutters extensively damaged by snow and ice damaged after an unusual snowfall. The gutters were special design for this historic area (Fairlington) and replacement cost could not be met by reserves. The assessment was in the $1k or $2k range as best as I recall, but this was over 20 years ago. I and my friends didn't own a new beachfront elevator condo long enough to experience the inevitable high-cost repairs associated with age, but I'm sure they eventually happened. Fortunately, I made money in both these ventures. A ski area condo was simply a horrible experience and investment fraught with absentee owners and dishonest management. I will never own another condo and would not advise anyone to except in unusual circumstances. Too often condo fees are set attractively and unrealistically low and do not consider long-term needs and planning. A common mantra is "Why plan too far into the future when I don't want to live here long-term, anyway?" Delinquent condo fee owners are a common occurrence and cause money to be paid to lawyers and result in condo coffers to suffer and condo fees to be raised--or special assessments. Too many people purchase condos blindly without regard to how much more expensive than advertised they can be. Just to be fair, home ownership can have the same pitfalls. Periodic maintenance is essential to maintain value, and HOA fees can mirror condo fee issues. We have a ridiculously low voluntary civic association fee ($35/yr) in my Springfield community to cover incidental common costs, and yet barely more than 50% pay it! Too many people just don't understand the concept of the common good, which reflects our society and politics as a whole today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia