Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:09 PM

885 posts, read 1,549,593 times

Advertisements

Which apartment is better for location, safety, and most importantly, ease to Huntington Station?

Anyone has experience living there. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,128,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
Which apartment is better for location, safety, and most importantly, ease to Huntington Station?

Anyone has experience living there. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks.
I haven't lived in either but I once lived not too far from them and had friends who lived there too.

Belle Haven Towers' advantage, besides relatively lower rent, is that you can walk to the Metro from there. It's sort of bare bones, though; you get what you pay for.

Riverside is a "gated" community although the security gatekeepers can be inconsistent with checking for ID. They also have amenities such as a recreation center (possibly with an extra fee for access) and a shuttle bus that goes to and from the Metro during rush hour.

Beyond the convenience of the Metro and the 95/495, there isn't anything immediately attractive about the area. Further south on Route 1 are many of your usual grocery, and midscale retail/restaurant suspects with a healthy dose of international flavor (mostly Central American). Old Town Alexandria is due north but not exactly walkable.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:15 PM

Anything that's very similiar to those two in terms of location, price and ease of access to the Huntington Metro Station?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:27 PM

Another question, say if one lives at Riverside Apartment, take the bus to Hungtington Station, take the Yellow line and then switch to Green Line to final destination at Navy Yard. How much time is expected, including waiting for bus/metro, etc. from the leaving the partment to arriving at Navy Yard during rush hours?

Old 12-03-2010, 05:28 AM

How's the walk from Riverside Apartments to Huntington Station compare to Belle Haven Towers to Huntington Station?

Old 12-03-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Anything that's very similiar to those two in terms of location, price and ease of access to the Huntington Metro Station?
Huntington Gateway is across the street from Riverside and just north of Belle Haven. It's the most expensive high-rise of the three. Like Riverside, it also offers a rush hour shuttle.

Directly across from the Metro is a newer condo high rise Midtown Alexandria. Some owners may be renting out their units: you could contact the building office or check realtor sites for more info.

There's another older low-rise next to the Metro whose name escapes me. Unless convenience is top priority, I don't know if I'd recommend that one. I considered a rental there once and I didn't find it to be very attractive.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Another question, say if one lives at Riverside Apartment, take the bus to Hungtington Station, take the Yellow line and then switch to Green Line to final destination at Navy Yard. How much time is expected, including waiting for bus/metro, etc. from the leaving the partment to arriving at Navy Yard during rush hours?
I'd guesstimate a half hour. Barring unforeseen delays, trains usually arrive every 3-5 minutes or so during rush hour.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
How's the walk from Riverside Apartments to Huntington Station compare to Belle Haven Towers to Huntington Station?
It's doable, perhaps 15 minutes. But compared to a 3-minute apartment shuttle - or 5 minutes on the Fairfax Connector bus - it will seem like a long time.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:21 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,928,163 times
Quote:
I'd guesstimate 45 minutes.

The train portion alone is 30 minutes. Add on 5 minutes to wait for the train, 5 minutes to take the shuttle buss, and 5 minutes to wait for the shuttle, and you're at 45 minutes.

WMATA - Rider Tools - Trip Planner

Great tool for timing different metro commutes.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I'd guesstimate 45 minutes.

The train portion alone is 30 minutes. Add on 5 minutes to wait for the train, 5 minutes to take the shuttle buss, and 5 minutes to wait for the shuttle, and you're at 45 minutes.

WMATA - Rider Tools - Trip Planner

Great tool for timing different metro commutes.
I should have consulted the trip planner myself. I think I underestimated the Yellow Line portion of the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia