U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:11 PM

3 posts, read 11,155 times

Advertisements

My 10 year old Collie is in desperate need of a deep tooth cleaning, but unfortunately we can't afford it. Does anybody know of someplace they might do it at a low cost or free in Northern VA?
I appreciate any and all your assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 01:38 PM

21 posts, read 32,475 times
We get our dogs' teeth cleaned at Petsmart when they are groomed, and it's part of a package. However, I think you can go in and have a regular cleaning for around 10 or 15 dollars, I think, by itself. Now, I seriously doubt that's a deep cleaning, but it might be better than nothing in the meantime for your dog. I had a dog many years ago that needed a deep cleaning by the vet, and since she was older they had to do bloodwork ahead of time, then put her under anesthesia, in order to do the cleaning. If I remember correctly, the cost was around $250 or so for everything, but that was a while ago. Anyway, although you had asked about deep cleaning, I figured getting a regular cleaning might be better than nothing for your dog right now, and might be more affordable, and might help to maintain a bit of dental health for the dog until you can afford an expensive deep cleaning. If I find any other links that might be helpful for you, I'll reply to your post again. Good luck!

Old 12-07-2010, 02:56 PM

2,240 posts, read 6,989,717 times
You know...my dog needs the same thing but we just spent $5K on her this year due to having to have her knee replaced and I think I was told the deep cleaning would be another $500...to which I said it can wait! It just occured to me that a vet school may do that sort of thing at a very low cost...I don't know where the closest is, but you would probably have to drive far away to have it done. (but may be worth the trip if within so many hours)

Good luck!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:41 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,570,354 times
Check out the price at a nearby groomers. It won't be a deep cleaning with anesthesia or anything, but the anesthesia is what costs so much money.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 AM

Thank you ALL for your suggestions! I will defenitely look into the vet school nearby. Princess (my collie) does get her grooming at Petsmart and they always clean her teeth, but it's not sufficient and I'm afraid as she gets older she might develop more serious problems. I do appreciate your responses!

Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 AM

4,489 posts, read 5,570,354 times
I've never had a dog groomed at Petsmart, but I'm *guessing* they just brush her teeth? See if you can find a place that will actually do a deep cleaning on them. I know Annandale Pet Spa offers it, so I assume others do as well.

Also, as a preventative measure, giving your dog raw, meaty bones is a great way for them to scrape their teeth and keep 'em clean. I like to pick up buffalo marrow bones at the pet store (Pro Feed carries them, as do most any natural pet store), but you could easily pick up a lamb or beef bone at the butchers every once in a while and offer that as well. DON'T cook it, as that will make it dangerous and brittle, but fed raw bones are perfectly safe.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:03 PM

Thank you CaliTerp07! great suggestions and I will call the Annandale Pet Spa and see how much they charge for teeth cleaning only. My husband has been lay off and money is tight, so I can't spend too much money on my darling Princess, although I would love for her to get her teeth cleaned, I have to be realistic and watch my finances. Thank you again friend!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:00 AM

515 posts, read 1,064,160 times
I clean our dogs teeth myself about once a week. They go to the veterinary dentist in Vienna, who is outstanding but insists that his yearly cleanings are not enough. I'm sure he thinks I should do it everyday, but the struggle with one of them makes that unrealistic.

I have been using a sonicaire for almost 20 years on my own teeth. This gave me the idea to try a milder version of it on the animals. At the drugstore you can get a battery operated toothbrush for about five bucks. I know the Crest version is called a spinbrush. I use that and CET enzymatic toothpaste. They have been getting much better "report cards" from the dentist since I started doing this.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:50 PM

288 posts, read 390,306 times
It costs as much to get a dog's teeth cleaned as it does for a human! I have a 5 year old pit and her teeth have just started to darken a little. I don't really like the idea of an anesthetic being used, but can't imagine it being done any other way. I've been giving my dog milk bones, and the occasional marrow bone. Our vet did recommend a couple of things and gave me samples. The first is like a flat piece of rawhide the size of a playing card. She gets one of those every couple of days and loves it. These are wonderful! After 2 weeks, now her teeth look a whole lot better than they used to. A bag of 30 chews is $19.39. A little pricey, but a whole lot less than the dental procedure. These are called 'C.E.T. HEXtra Premium Chews with Cholorhexidine for Dogs (medium).

There is also something else that I'll probably try… a drinking water additive called 'C.E.T AquaDent (Drinking Water Additive). You mix 2 tsp. to a quart of fresh water daily. Sounds like good stuff, but the rawhide treats are easier to manage.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:39 AM

3,892 posts, read 2,866,793 times
If you feed your dog one raw piece of chicken (necks are the cheapest, usually) with the bone once a week, you'll never need to clean your dog's teeth. Eating this will keep them very clean.

remember, though, NEVER give your dog a cooked bone, always raw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia