Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:17 AM

178 posts, read 574,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Once a teen gets their license, there's another course that everyone raves about. The instructors travel across the country and are only in each town for maybe a day or metro area for a couple of weeks. In the one day class, instructors would flood the blacktop w/ water and let teens experience trying to stop for a red light while going 20 mph with 3 or 4 inches of water on the road. Another exercise was to simulate ice and instruct teens on how to navigate, start, stop and slide. The class was for a full 8 hours, max number of students didn't go over 20 and the course ran somewhere in the $200 - $300 range......but those that attendended never mentioned "too expensive" for the material taught. (I even know a parent that wanted to take it and they limited the class to teens only). Oh, another important point, they provide the cars! I've tried to find them for this post, but I signed up to be notified when they return to our area. I did find this course offered by Ford, it's free, but it also will take up to 300 in each class. https://www.drivingskillsforlife.com...=168&Itemid=17 If anyone has heard of an Advanced Defensive Driving for Teens.......please sing out.
A couple of years ago I took my daughter to a driving skills program sponsored by Curry's Auto and the local BMW club, put on by Miriam Schottland. The day-long course was free (just had to pay 25 cents for each cone knocked down -- which could really add up!) and included emergency handling procedures and the like. They had a similar program last year, but charged tuition (which was probably better since it kept the numbers down). Go to Miriam Schottland - DriveLab
for more info.

Exercises included emergency braking techniques, handling spin-outs, cornering at speeds, etc. Driver just needs learners' permit, not full license, although I recommend waiting until they get enough BTW experience so that they can more fully understand what they are doing and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 06:20 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mominbristow View Post
A couple of years ago I took my daughter to a driving skills program sponsored by Curry's Auto and the local BMW club, put on by Miriam Schottland. The day-long course was free (just had to pay 25 cents for each cone knocked down -- which could really add up!) and included emergency handling procedures and the like. They had a similar program last year, but charged tuition (which was probably better since it kept the numbers down). Go to Miriam Schottland - DriveLab
for more info.

Exercises included emergency braking techniques, handling spin-outs, cornering at speeds, etc. Driver just needs learners' permit, not full license, although I recommend waiting until they get enough BTW experience so that they can more fully understand what they are doing and why.
Thanks for this! I've just sent off an e-mail to see when the Spring dates are. My son will be licensed on March 21st so it is probably perfect timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia