U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,860 times

Advertisements

Hi there--

DH, DS and I are relocating to NOVA for a job at Quantico. We are really liking Del Ray in Alexandria, as hubby will work in DC and I will work at Quantico.

Even though I would have a reverse commute, I wonder how crazy we might be for living so far north. I don't mind working early (6AM, etc) or up to an hour drive each way, but I wonder if anyone does this commute regularly and can comment on it? I won't be too far from the gate at Quantico.

I keep thinking one of us is going to have a nasty commute, and it seems that a reverse commute might be better than living south and having hubby commute northwards.

The reason we like Del Ray---proximity to city life, nice families, Old town nearby, some walkability.

I welcome any and all comments/advice/suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 06:04 PM

25 posts, read 58,429 times
I can't comment on your specific, but I live near Del Ray and commute to Herndon around 7am, and its very easy going. I-95 might be different though.

One suggestion: go to maps.google.com, click on traffic then next to "live traffic" click change. It'll let you see the average traffic conditions on the road at various times of the week.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:32 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,261,438 times
It's been about 3 years since I've commuted northbound on I95, but I recall southbound was pretty clear. Things stack up near the Ft. Belvoir exit, but if you hug the left lane you should get by it OK. Also traffic stacks up near Quantico. Other than those two areas, I95 southbound is pretty clear.

I think living further north is a good move.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:31 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,870,413 times
Just one caveat: people don't move to Alexandria City or South Arlington for the schools.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,860 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the responses! Feeling better about it. Our child is only an infant, so we have a bit of time to scout out school districts, etc in other areas.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:16 AM

5,333 posts, read 6,137,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Just one caveat: people don't move to Alexandria City or South Arlington for the schools.
This is true in that people relocating here who have public schools as a high priority are often deterred by Alexandria's test scores and other metrics, compared to those of Fairfax or (north) Arlington counties, for instance.

But I'll point out that I know many Alexandria families with professional and highly-educated parents, who are lawyers, doctors, engineers, analysts, etc, who have their children in public school (elementary) and are confident and optimistic about their children's educational future. They are not dreading middle school or TC Williams and are not plotting a course of moving out of Alexandria or opting for private school when their kids are older. There are a lot of very dedicated parents involved in the schools here in Alexandria. Students with such parental involvement in their education are likely to excel in ACPS. It's just that there are so many students in ACPS whose parents are not involved in education, unlike Falls Church, McLean, Yorktown, and other such schools.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:22 AM

6,580 posts, read 10,885,792 times
Unless there is an accident or road construction I 95 SB in the early morning will be a breeze, especially compared to NB. You also have the RT 1 option if you need it. It has more lights but it's an escape from 95 if you need it.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:28 AM

23,628 posts, read 33,413,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I ended up in Alexandria City for my last two years of HS and I'm about to graduate college next December. Apparently ACPS won't screw up an already academically motivated kid or one with a strong parent figure inside the home.

Quote:
Students with such parental involvement in their education are likely to excel in ACPS. It's just that there are so many students in ACPS whose parents are not involved in education, unlike Falls Church, McLean, Yorktown, and other such schools.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia