U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 12:21 PM

22 posts, read 117,453 times

Advertisements

I just moved from PW County after living there 33 years. I would say that if you want to commute and are looking in the PW area, go toward Bristow, Nokesville, Gainesville. However, unfortunately, it is getting just as heavily populated as neighboring Manassas and Woodbridge.

As far as the gang problem. I have to disagree with the other posts, only having been a part of the EMS/Fire dept in PW for 15 years and having been exposed to the recent rash of Machete attacks from the MS-13 members in PWC. They have a large cell of them in PW and cross over into Fairfax County at the Rt 28 bridge that separates the two counties just past the old Laws Auction. There is a NoVa Regional Gang Taskforce that handles primarily MS13 because of the recent influx of them. In fact, there was a local hospital that had to shut down a unit because they had a top gang member there being treated and had to have a locked down unit to treat them - with 24 hour police guards at the door. Additionally, our FD had a presentation by a PW Gang detective about 18 months ago. At the time, the youngest known MS13 gang member was a third grader in Manassas and the oldest was 65, living in a $1.5M house in Piedmont Country Club subdivision in Gainesville. Woodbridge also has a very large population of this gang and it's spin-offs which is evident by the excessive gang tagging found around the Rt 1 corridor.

I can't assure you that other areas don't have a gang problem, but I can tell you that it was a major reason that we left. I can also tell you that, having grown up there and lived in Manassas since 1973, the gangs are more visible and prevalent now... just walk thru Manassas Mall.

If you are concerned about the crime in the areas that you are considering, contact the local PD and ask them specifically about your concerns. I believe that they will answer them truthfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 02:43 PM

7 posts, read 21,717 times
There is an area in Woodbridge called Lake Ridge that you should look into, especially Westridge, Springwoods, Old Bridge Estates, around Cotton Mill Dr., Oakwood Dr... Very nice, quite, lots of parks, trees, great schools, shopping, etc. If you can afford it though, Burke would be a more convenient location.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 20,078 times
Look in the Davis Ford Road area. Best kept secret in NOVA. You can find some great neighborhoods, great houses, great yards there. Prices within reason. Also, the best school system in the county.

Best school district is OP.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:55 PM

22 posts, read 117,453 times
I absolutely agree with the Davis Ford Road area. Even the new neighborhoods on the PW Parkway between Yates Ford & Hoadly Road (Fingerlake on the left and Coloriver on the left - can't recall the subdivision). Amazing acreage/land homesites, some with water. Rural looking, but close to everything. Wish I could find a place like that in NC!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 3,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoNC View Post
I just moved from PW County after living there 33 years. I would say that if you want to commute and are looking in the PW area, go toward Bristow, Nokesville, Gainesville. However, unfortunately, it is getting just as heavily populated as neighboring Manassas and Woodbridge.

As far as the gang problem. I have to disagree with the other posts, only having been a part of the EMS/Fire dept in PW for 15 years and having been exposed to the recent rash of Machete attacks from the MS-13 members in PWC. They have a large cell of them in PW and cross over into Fairfax County at the Rt 28 bridge that separates the two counties just past the old Laws Auction. There is a NoVa Regional Gang Taskforce that handles primarily MS13 because of the recent influx of them. In fact, there was a local hospital that had to shut down a unit because they had a top gang member there being treated and had to have a locked down unit to treat them - with 24 hour police guards at the door. Additionally, our FD had a presentation by a PW Gang detective about 18 months ago. At the time, the youngest known MS13 gang member was a third grader in Manassas and the oldest was 65, living in a $1.5M house in Piedmont Country Club subdivision in Gainesville. Woodbridge also has a very large population of this gang and it's spin-offs which is evident by the excessive gang tagging found around the Rt 1 corridor.

I can't assure you that other areas don't have a gang problem, but I can tell you that it was a major reason that we left. I can also tell you that, having grown up there and lived in Manassas since 1973, the gangs are more visible and prevalent now... just walk thru Manassas Mall.

If you are concerned about the crime in the areas that you are considering, contact the local PD and ask them specifically about your concerns. I believe that they will answer them truthfully.

absurd, highly dubious, and subjective individual appraisal of Prince William County "crime" scene. Lets look at some empirical and objective facts:

1) as of 2010, violent crime, including burgarlies, in Prince William County has decreased. Hardly indictive of gang violence.

2) gang violence has decreased in PWC over the past 5 years

http://www.pwcgov.org/docLibrary/PDF/11049.pdf (page 32)

3) There were 2 murders in PWC last year -- by any objective, rational, and independent thinking measure a safe county to live and work in.

Violent Crime Rate Plunges 36.8% in Prince William County | CoreyStewart.com (http://coreystewart.com/blog/violent-crime-rate-plunges-36-8-prince-william-county - broken link)

In summary, beware of hysterical and ill informed anectdotal evidence from biased individuals.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:12 AM

6,561 posts, read 10,857,077 times
You do know that you are responding to posts from 2007?

Old 04-20-2010, 04:12 PM

982 posts, read 3,101,520 times
Bristow is close to Manassas, you may want to consider that as an option so. I live on the Western end (Manassas) of Prince William County, moved here after being on the Eastern (Woodbridge) end for many years. I prefer the Western end because the traffic is MUCH easier to deal with and my kids are happier at school. The ride out to Lorton will be long, but if you don't have to do it everyday, it's not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovefromFla View Post
Thanks so much, but what are your feelings on Woodbridge? Reading some of the forums, it seems like most people do not like the area, or do not think highly of it.
Is it the military presence, the fact that it is in Prince William County, or ???
Please advise and thanks for your help in this.

We are leaning towards Manassas and Woodbridge obviously because of the affordability and suburban atmosphere in a large metropolitan area.

If we do end up in Woodbridge or Manassas, are there any communities or locations we should steer clear from?

Thanks again

Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 PM

421 posts, read 819,626 times
So, has Manassas improved in the last three years? How about Manassas Mall? I thought I heard that Manassas had really cracked down on this kind of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or