U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 10:10 AM

9 posts, read 8,227 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 small children, and I are moving to NOVA next summer. I need to be near Fairfax because Ill be going to the University. I know the city can be pricey so is there a reasonable option outside of Fairfax that isnt a painful commute? Like Manassass, Chantilly, or Centreville? I need some opinions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 10:15 AM

7,968 posts, read 18,094,647 times
Are you referring to George Mason University?
What is your preferred housing budget?
Where will your husband be working?

Chantilly and Centreville would be a relatively painless commute to Fairfax City, perhaps more so from Manassas.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:15 AM

5,335 posts, read 6,146,451 times
First things first: what is pricey, to you? What is reasonable? And how many minutes of commuting is painful for you?

Old 12-13-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Are you referring to George Mason University?
What is your preferred housing budget?
Where will your husband be working?

Chantilly and Centreville would be a relatively painless commute to Fairfax City, perhaps more so from Manassas.
Yes, George Mason University. My husband and I will both be attending.
Well, as far as housing budget goes..... I currently live in Miami and its on the pricey side here so I would like to hopefully find something near what I currently pay: $1500-$1600 for a 3 bedroom townhouse.
My husband is currently a stay-at-home dad and will remain for possibly a year more. I will be working in Fairfax.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
First things first: what is pricey, to you? What is reasonable? And how many minutes of commuting is painful for you?
I would prefer to stay about $1500-$1600 a month, I could even go as far as $1800 for a townhouse. I would also like to keep my drive within 30 minutes.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:41 PM

Does anyone believe I can find a 3 bedroom townhouse in Fairfax for $1500-$1800 a month???? Or would I have to commute?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 PM

226 posts, read 680,759 times
I would suggest looking at Centreville. It would be a good location and is a very easy commute to George Mason University. I do believe you can find a 3-br rental townhouse between $1600-1800 month without utilities included. I live in the Centreville Manor Gate community (off Rt 28 S and Green Trails Blvd) and it has a mix of townhouses and single family homes. It is a well-kept safe community with good schools. My daughter use to commute to George Mason U and it took her about 15 minutes to get to campus. There are other communities that are good as well and not that far from campus - one that comes into mind is Burke.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:00 PM

361 posts, read 621,885 times
You could rent in Ardmore. Probably could walk to GMU from there. Houses are older duplexes.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 16,571 times
My wife and I recently purchased in the London Town Area in Centreville and love it! We too are in this same price range and found a nice 4BR, 3 bath home after some intensive searching. We love it so much that I have helped others of buy a home in the area. Just like anywhere in NOVA, the biggest challenge in this range is to try and find something that IS NOT a Short Sale Yes, a deal can be had but so can a nervous breakdown depending on how fast you need to move

What drew us to this area besides it being in the center of where we both commute(not pun intended), was the amount of space you have for the kids to play and all the various playgrounds spread throughout the area. Plus, having a Cub Run Stream Valley Park nearby pleases my dog as well!

Old 12-13-2010, 08:25 PM

10,831 posts, read 26,443,196 times
Around $1700-$1800, you should find townhouses in the City of Fairfax, West Springfield, and Burke. West Springfield would not be a bad commute to Fairfax, nor would Burke, though parts of Burke do get traffic. And, of course, in the city, you're close to GMU and likely your work. You could even take the CUE bus to GMU from many areas of the city if you did not want the hassle/expense of parking.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia