U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-15-2010, 12:02 PM

628 posts, read 1,099,500 times
Default Falls Church gets some good PR

Highest median salaries and education in the country.

Median income tops $113K in Falls Church - wtop.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 01:28 PM

550 posts, read 514,838 times
You know, given what the housing and community are like in Falls Church and the surrounding areas, I'm surprised that the 113K figure is for a household. I assumed that might be for a single worker. Just basing that off my observation that small houses being sold are torn down for much larger homes.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:12 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,053,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
You know, given what the housing and community are like in Falls Church and the surrounding areas, I'm surprised that the 113K figure is for a household. I assumed that might be for a single worker. Just basing that off my observation that small houses being sold are torn down for much larger homes.
Figure sounds about right if you consider only 1 person in the house who works.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:37 PM

628 posts, read 1,099,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
As a median, this seems like a high figure to me, even if for a household.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:31 AM

2,439 posts, read 5,907,162 times
The City of Falls Church is about two square miles. It's tiny, and though there are few really high-end homes, there are virtually no poor people either, which brings up the median. My guess is that the "real" median income is much higher -- you need to factor in all of those retired people who still live there in the smaller homes that haven't been torn down yet. A household with two college-educated professionals -- which is most of the working population in the City of Falls Church -- can easily have income over $200K, even if they are both working for the government or a university.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:27 AM

12,740 posts, read 19,050,583 times
To me, that means it goes solidly against the 'the rent is too damn high' party.

Goes in the 'way too damn expensive to consider living in' column, which already included Bethesda, Arlington, and NW section of Washington DC.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:28 PM

18,717 posts, read 15,015,402 times
Oooooooh my brother in McLean is gonna be mad!!! He's one of those types who poo poo Falls Church as the lowly ugly step sister to McLean. Heh heh, can't wait to see what he thinks of this!

Old 12-18-2010, 12:49 PM

7,725 posts, read 11,674,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
To me, that means it goes solidly against the 'the rent is too damn high' party.

Goes in the 'way too damn expensive to consider living in' column, which already included Bethesda, Arlington, and NW section of Washington DC.
Yep, that interesting gentleman that ran for NY Governor would definitely not be amused.

However as IIRC you were considering only an apartment situation for your family, you wouldn't not need a six-figure salary for that.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:42 PM

4,481 posts, read 5,022,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Oooooooh my brother in McLean is gonna be mad!!! He's one of those types who poo poo Falls Church as the lowly ugly step sister to McLean. Heh heh, can't wait to see what he thinks of this!
Not sure why it would change his mind. If McLean (or Bethesda) were a separate municipality, it would surpass the City of Falls Church by a considerable margin.

On the other hand, McLean could use some of the lowly ugly step sisters' (the one in the City of Falls Church and the one in Fairfax County who calls herself Falls Church) good - and affordable - restaurants.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:51 PM

2,439 posts, read 5,907,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Well, if McLean were a separate incorporated city, its median income and house price would be considerably higher than those of Falls Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia