U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 4,263 times

Advertisements

I am helping my son, daughter-in-law and their 1 yr. old relocate to Fairfax County. Any suggestions for a mid-30's couple wanting to rent for a year first in either a townhouse or apt. Child and pet friendly environment/community? They are thinking about Fairfax, Vienna, Oakton and Centerville. I would appreciate any ideas, please. They need to move mid January 2011.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 10:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,932,144 times
Where will they be working? Traffic here is pretty bad, so the most important thing is to have as short of a commute as possible. All of those communities are great for families and pets.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:33 AM

4,609 posts, read 4,117,789 times
What do you mean by pet friendly?

We live in Springfield, and I absolutely never see a dog off a leash. People who walk their dogs always carry a bag and pick up the droppings.

People also do not like cats wandering around because they kill birds.

If your son has a quiet dog who they always keep on a leash or if they have a cat that always stays on their property, they will be very welcome.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:39 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,376,726 times
I would find a real estate agent who can help you find a great rental. It won't cost you a thing as the landlord pays the commission. You can probably find them a great townhome rental this way.
Good luck to them!

Old 12-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Pet friendly means a rental unit which will allow a nice quiet dog.
I think my daughter-in-law will be working in Hendon (?), but Dulles for now and my son is not sure in which location he will be placed.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:18 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,588,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I would find a real estate agent who can help you find a great rental. It won't cost you a thing as the landlord pays the commission. You can probably find them a great townhome rental this way.
Good luck to them!
I keep hearing this...but in my experience, the properties shown by real estate agents had higher monthly rents to cover the fact that the landlord was paying a month or two to the agent. We ended up with a house for $1900/month of craigslist, while similar ones shown by an agent were offered for $2100-2400. I don't know, maybe there are deals to be had, but I didn't find them.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:19 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,588,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p161n View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. Pet friendly means a rental unit which will allow a nice quiet dog.
I think my daughter-in-law will be working in Hendon (?), but Dulles for now and my son is not sure in which location he will be placed.
What kind of dog is it? There are TONS of pet friendly apartments in the area, but nearly all have weight limits of 30 lbs or less. If it's a bigger dog than that (or any supposedly "dangerous" breed on those dumb lists) then you'll need to go through a private landlord. There are very few apartments that will allow a 75 lb rottweiler, no matter how sweet or friendly or trained. You shouldn't have a problem finding a private person who will be fine if they meet the dog though.

Old 12-18-2010, 12:45 PM

the dog is a 78 lb. Golden.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:34 PM

4,609 posts, read 4,117,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p161n View Post
the dog is a 78 lb. Golden.
Wow!! Maybe get him his own apartment.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:55 AM

5,121 posts, read 5,566,704 times
If they are thinking about Centreville, I was looking at apartment here that would take my two, older dogs. I kind of liked Lakeside (Lakeside Apartments Centreville, VA - Apartments for Rent in Centreville Virginia (http://www.apartmentguide.com/rentals/Virginia/Centreville/Lakeside/5686/ - broken link))

they take bigger dogs it would seem (at a price) and they even have a dog park on the property.

All in all though, I think a townhouse would be better (give more room).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or