Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 PM

43 posts, read 82,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post

Craigslist has several possibilities in Arlington for studios under $1,100. One of them is Riverhouse in Rosslyn. Maybe some here can offer their thoughts on that place - it's old, I've had friends live there in the past (over 15 years ago) and it wasn't anything to brag about then, but it was ok.
I know people who live in Riverhouse in Rosslyn. Many of them are in condos that they rent from other people, so the units will vary. It is old and your view will probably be of the next building, but it's in a super convenient area, and lots of young people live there (which may or may not be a good thing depending on your POV.)

I just did a random search for studios in Arlington and I'm shocked that so many are priced so high. It seems like Craigslist is the way to go. One thing you can do is to check the trip planner on Metro's web page to judge how long of a commute you'll have by public transportation. The closer to the Orange line in Virginia you are, the better. Living near the blue line in VA is not too bad, but you'll lose a lot of time transferring between lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 06:02 PM

373 posts, read 820,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw703 View Post
I just did a random search for studios in Arlington and I'm shocked that so many are priced so high. It seems like Craigslist is the way to go.
Yeah me too. I'm back in the rental market, and it's been really frustrating trying to find a new place. I've long advocated that single people who complain they have to live out in the boonies to find a one-bedroom apartment under $1300 just aren't looking hard enough. And a year or two ago, that was the case in Arlington and Alexandria. Dumpy one-bedrooms with no laundry in WWII buildings that were $1150 a year and a half ago are now $1400, and "luxury" units (same dumpy apartments, now with stainless steel appliances!) are easily $1800 - $2000+ for one bedroom -- if there are any available. I've called a dozen places, both apartment complexes and realtor listings, and things are going FAST.

Craigslist, of course, continues to be virtually useless for finding genuine private rentals. A search for "Columbia Pike" brings up 150 listings from the past five days, almost ALL of which are bait-and-switch ads from the same couple of corporate buildings.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:07 PM

43 posts, read 82,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post

Craigslist, of course, continues to be virtually useless for finding genuine private rentals. A search for "Columbia Pike" brings up 150 listings from the past five days, almost ALL of which are bait-and-switch ads from the same couple of corporate buildings.
The rental market is really heating up, and if you are renting, rents are rising dramatically. I did scan a few listings on craigslist, and saw a lot of those corporate apartments that don't have a picture of their properties. I did see a few helpful listings. This one is near my home in Clarendon (I'm guessing a basement in a house): Efficiency Basement, walk to Clarendon Metro (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/apa/2123975914.html - broken link)

This one is near Westover in North Arlington, not close to a Metro, but there are decent bus options to the Orange Line: Beautiful Cherry Cabinets w/ Granite Countertops! Immediate Occupancy (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/apa/2125734321.html - broken link)

Old 12-22-2010, 10:36 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw703 View Post
The rental market is really heating up, and if you are renting, rents are rising dramatically.
Very true... my 1-bedroom in Ashburn is going from $1130/month to $1255/month!

Old 12-23-2010, 12:10 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAct41 View Post
Very true... my 1-bedroom in Ashburn is going from $1130/month to $1255/month!
That's insane. Aren't they supposed to give you like 2 months if not more notice for such a rent increase?

Old 12-23-2010, 04:33 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
That's insane. Aren't they supposed to give you like 2 months if not more notice for such a rent increase?
I know when we were in an apartment, they sent us a letter around our 60 day move-out notice, telling us that we could either renew our lease at the new (specified) amount, submit notice of our leaving at least 60 days out, or our lease would automatically convert to a month to month at an exorbitant (also specified) rate.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:05 AM

9 posts, read 14,783 times
Default you need a lot of $$$ to live in this area

I just do not understand how a young person with an entry level job can survive here.
If you just pay rent 1400 (studio) plus necessities (food, insurance, utilities..) you need over 45K just to live pay check to paycheck.

In order to save some money you move a bit further, but you will spend that extra savings on commuting.

It feels like that people who can afford to put some money down they are better of buying 1 bedroom condo. Not sure how much are taxes and assessments are. This is not option for me, just wanted to point out.

Finding and affordable place here is impossible, because I am not sure what word affordable means in this area.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:26 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
Actually I was in that general area, right across from the Section 8 apartments near the park on Barton. Not certain who the landlord was as I paid rent to my roommates that sent it off to the landlord.
I'd be very inerested in the name of those section 8 apartments, or at least which park you are refering to. I think I know the park, but want to confirm that.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:00 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I know when we were in an apartment, they sent us a letter around our 60 day move-out notice, telling us that we could either renew our lease at the new (specified) amount, submit notice of our leaving at least 60 days out, or our lease would automatically convert to a month to month at an exorbitant (also specified) rate.
yup this is what my apartment complex (Archstone @ StoneRidge) ended up doing... I got the letter a few weeks ago, and my lease is up on Feb. 20th.

I'm going to wait a couple more weeks to see if the rates for Jan. go down at all, and if they don't I'll just bite the bullet and renew.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:28 PM

248 posts, read 700,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_knn View Post
I just do not understand how a young person with an entry level job can survive here.
If you just pay rent 1400 (studio) plus necessities (food, insurance, utilities..) you need over 45K just to live pay check to paycheck.

In order to save some money you move a bit further, but you will spend that extra savings on commuting.

It feels like that people who can afford to put some money down they are better of buying 1 bedroom condo. Not sure how much are taxes and assessments are. This is not option for me, just wanted to point out.

Finding and affordable place here is impossible, because I am not sure what word affordable means in this area.
Not all young people with entry level jobs. Entry level engineers have it a bit easier as they make over 55k out of college. Also, not all jobs are located in Arlington/DC. There are jobs all over the suburbs, especially in Dulles. I commute to the eastern side of fairfax for work, which isn't too bad.

I'm just throwing this out there because it worked for me. If you did not accept the job offer yet, try asking them to raise the salary. Cite cost of living differences. Also, check the average salary for the kind of job you were offered and see if you can tell them that the average is higher than your current offer.

I was able to get a salary increase with an email. I cited cost of living differences and told them that on average others at entry level made more than that. I also reiterated that I would hit the ground running, blah blah blah.... The program manager actually fought with HR to give me that increase when I sent that email.

You have nothing to lose by asking because they have determined you are the best candidate. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Check this out, it might help: A Sample Job Offer Counter Proposal Letter

I'd recommend the fair lakes/fair oaks area of fairfax, which is where I live. Very safe area and very convenient for shopping. You can probably find a shared room with a few roommates for maybe $500-800. There are also fairfax connector buses and shuttles that would take you to the vienna metro, which you could then take to Arlington. That would save you the stress of heavy traffic at least.

Last edited by tsuric; 12-25-2010 at 11:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia