Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 01:20 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Absolutely, of course there are. But unless the intangibles of living in DC (like proximity to family, climate, culture, whatever) are of high value to the OP, $30k in Dallas is worth more than $35k in DC, and her money will go much further.
Thanks, that is all I am saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 07:41 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times
Well I have a room that I have listed on Craigs List and Roommates.com if BB is interested, it is a 12x 14 room for $600. plus third of the utilities in a very beautiful and safe neighborhood in Alexandria on the border with Arlington, Located on Carolina Pl. Alexandria Va. 22305, it is close to everything, D.C., Oldtown Alexandria,Crystal City etc. It does not look that big in picture, it sits sideways on lot, it is a 1700 sq. ft. home
pics here Rental - PHOTObyTED's Photos

Last edited by ted08721; 12-30-2010 at 07:54 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 10:59 AM

9 posts, read 14,783 times
Default information very helpful

at job offered opportunities are limited. Unless I think of different job opportunities available in the DC area later. Possibly take the job and look for some other opportunities in the near future. Because it looks hard to survive with 35k
I am trying to do some estimates (help would be appreciated)

shared room $ 1000
Utilities $ 150 (cell, internet, electricity,gas ...)
Food $ 400 (not sure ???)
Health Ins. $ 100 (employee offered)
401K $ 200 (probably will have to opt out)
Transportation $ 100 (not sure about this)
Student loan $ 150
Miscellaneous $ 100 (clothes, toiletry..)
any other $ ???
Total Expenses $ 2200

If salary is 35 000 tax for single people (approximately 25%) you are left with $26 250 (2187.50 monthly)

Let me know if this sounds right.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:43 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_knn View Post
at job offered opportunities are limited. Unless I think of different job opportunities available in the DC area later. Possibly take the job and look for some other opportunities in the near future. Because it looks hard to survive with 35k
I am trying to do some estimates (help would be appreciated)

shared room $ 1000
Utilities $ 150 (cell, internet, electricity,gas ...)
Food $ 400 (not sure ???)
Health Ins. $ 100 (employee offered)
401K $ 200 (probably will have to opt out)
Transportation $ 100 (not sure about this)
Student loan $ 150
Miscellaneous $ 100 (clothes, toiletry..)
any other $ ???
Total Expenses $ 2200

If salary is 35 000 tax for single people (approximately 25%) you are left with $26 250 (2187.50 monthly)

Let me know if this sounds right.
When people say they're in the 25% tax bracket, that doesn't mean that 25% of their income goes to the government. It's a progressive system.

» 2011 vs 2010 Income Tax Brackets, Rates and Taxable Income Thresholds. Standard Deduction Increase | Saving to Inve$t

Your first $8500 is taxed at 10%, the next $26000 at 15%, and only the part over $34500 is taxed at 25%. In your scenario with a $35k salary, the employee will actually take home $35000-$850-$3900-$125 = $30,125 or ~$2500/month.

Your grocery bill should be significantly under $400 unless you are buying a lot of premade stuff or organic produce. My husband and I probably spend ~$250/month at the grocery store, and that's buying for two people and a lot of impulse purchases like beer or ice cream or california pizza kitchen frozen pizzas We do eat out for lunch though, so it's just breakfast/dinner foods. If you go in with a planned list, I'd imagine you could easily feed yourself for $200/month.

As shown before, you can find a room for under $1000 too, it just depends where you want to live and how many roommates you will have.

Transportation - is this public (bus/metro) or car expenses? Either way, I think you need to up this. If you ride the metro every day to work (assuming you can walk to the station), you'll pay ~$8/day. If you are bringing a car (99% of Northern Virginia requires a car), you'll need to factor in insurance, gas, parking (both if you have to buy a pass at your apartment and paying to park at work), personal property tax, city/county registration fees, etc.

The easiest way to drop your expenses is to get MULTIPLE roommates. I lived in a house with 6 people my first year out of college. It wasn't nearly as crazy as it sounds--the basement was converted into an entirely separate apartment with its own kitchen/bathroom, so it was spacious. But splitting utilities amongst 6 people meant that our monthly portions were minimal. We had top shelf cable/internet and ran the heater/air waaaaay too much, and my share of everything was under $100 each month. My coworker lives with 3 other guys right now and often makes the same comments about how much cheaper life is that way. Plus, then if you weren't going to bring a car, you can tag along on grocery shopping trips and such to save a little sanity.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:53 PM

Default state tax

there is also state tax of [SIZE=1]5.75%[/SIZE]

Old 01-01-2011, 02:59 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_knn View Post
there is also state tax of [SIZE=1]5.75%[/SIZE]
Which is also progressive. OTOH, there is also FICA tax which is 7.65% or so of your income. It probably all balances out between 15-25% depending on what deductions, etc., one can take.

I've seen you worrying about the high cost of living here.

Is there a particular reason, whether job-related or personal, you want or feel you need to move here?

I mean, jobs making $30-$40k a year are not all that uncommon around the country. Northern VA is special in that shlubs like me can make between $70-$120 after a few years by working 40-50 a year and change jobs relatively easily.

This, at least, is not so common around the country.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Which is also progressive. OTOH, there is also FICA tax which is 7.65% or so of your income. It probably all balances out between 15-25% depending on what deductions, etc., one can take.

I've seen you worrying about the high cost of living here.

Is there a particular reason, whether job-related or personal, you want or feel you need to move here?

I mean, jobs making $30-$40k a year are not all that uncommon around the country. Northern VA is special in that shlubs like me can make between $70-$120 after a few years by working 40-50 a year and change jobs relatively easily.

This, at least, is not so common around the country.
I am hoping for the same thing. To start low with accepting the position that pays mid 30s, and hope that in the near future I can find something that pays good, to cover my normal cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia