U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:36 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,781,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
Nova, of course, is a part of the state of VA which is southern but in itself Nova seems to have quite a bit in common more so with the Northeast. Those that were raised in the area, do you consider yourself a southerner or no?
No, we refer to ourselves as "East Coast" esp since we have family in NJ, NYC, MD, DC and VA and travel about to-and-fro.

I was not raised in VA but have lived here 20+ years. But if someone wants to call me a "Southerner" I wouldn't care. Since moving from NoVA to Winchester, it feels more "southern" anyway--the hanging ferns everywhere, the front porches, rocking chairs, being called "honey" by the waitresses, the hunters and ATVers, civil war stuff, Victorian scroll work, bell lanterns, etc.

What is being "Southern" anyway? If it's someone like Paula Deen, then I wouldn't mind being on her team!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 01:32 AM

54 posts, read 93,441 times
I always gave this some thought since I tend to go down "Jefferson Davis Highway" into Stafford and all that. I honestly think that Virginia keeps and will keep loosing it's "Southern" flavor as time goes by. I remember growing up, the typical south was around Stafford/Fredricksburg. Nowadays, I go to Stafford and I actually have seen Taco trucks and more minorities. Not to offend, but it is what it is. "NoVa" in itself can't even be considered "South" because NoVa has too many cultures. You see a lot of ethnic restaurants in "NoVa". I have yet to see a southern restaurant other than "Dixie Bones". Even so, I don't see it as typical Cajun food. I always wanted to try real Cajun/Southern food. Back on topic though, the more people from NoVa that keep moving further south for better opportunities (AKA cheap houses since we're basically getting kicked out of Arlington and Fairfax), the less "south" VA is. Watch, by 2020 Virginia will become more northern than southern. I don't think the state will become like Maryland where the minority is the majority just yet though.

To sum things up, the northerners will always push south and they will take their culture with them. The people who immigrate to the US will always settle in metro areas then push south as well. Then new cities become mixing bowls and the "Traditional American South" will be gone.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:45 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,049,396 times
There is no place to get a decent sweet tea..It is not the south.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 AM

2,913 posts, read 3,313,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
I apologize if this comes off as being rude but what is the fascination with sweet tea? It's only brewed tea with about !/2 pound of sugar. It's not like some culinary secret that can only be recreated using southern water and Dixie crystals.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
I apologize if this comes off as being rude but what is the fascination with sweet tea? It's only brewed tea with about !/2 pound of sugar. It's not like some culinary secret that can only be recreated using southern water and Dixie crystals.
It's an acceptable high.

Okay, no kidding. Actually, I think it's a treat for most people. Unless some folks drink it every day? We have friends from the South and when they have socials, it's always a treat (for me) to have some sweet tea.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
. . .To sum things up, the northerners will always push south and they will take their culture with them. The people who immigrate to the US will always settle in metro areas then push south as well. Then new cities become mixing bowls and the "Traditional American South" will be gone.
You raise a very good issue in that it seems like more and more northerners are relocating south, VA of course and nearby NC. Isn't Asheville, NC a popular retirement area now?

Also seems like the "genuine" southern accent is slowly diminishing. There are folks out here (Winchester) and in nearby WV who have accents (not 100% southern) but I remember growing up (military brat) and meeting people from different parts of the south with distinct accents. I always tried to figure out where they were from by the way they spoke (i.e., GA, western mts in KY or TN, Texas, etc.).

Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 PM

30 posts, read 71,734 times
Lots of Yankees came to Fx Co in the 1850s before The War. They integrated and embraced the culture. Most of the Yankees coming in today have no interest in embracing their local culture because the local culture is for the most part non-existent - Its called SUBURBAN BLIGHT. The last remnants of NoVa living history can be found if you search for them. I was born and bred here and personally need a deep connection to PLACE so I found those remnants and connected.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:05 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,624,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Also seems like the "genuine" southern accent is slowly diminishing. There are folks out here (Winchester) and in nearby WV who have accents (not 100% southern) but I remember growing up (military brat) and meeting people from different parts of the south with distinct accents. I always tried to figure out where they were from by the way they spoke (i.e., GA, western mts in KY or TN, Texas, etc.).
I was born and raised in the eastern panhandle of WV and have lived in VA most of my life. We were transferred to NJ (13 years in Morris County) and I worked for a mortgage company there. I would often get calls from customers wanting to speak to "the lady with the southern accent" and I was unaware I had a southern accent because to me the Richmond accent was a southern accent and I didn't sound like I was from Richmond. The accent varies from area to area as you have noted. As far as sweet tea goes, growing up I didn't know there was any other type of ice tea as we always put the sugar in while the tea was hot.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:40 PM

54 posts, read 93,441 times
Quote:
Have you ever tried Teavana? They're located in Pentagon City, Fair Oaks, and Tyson's Corner. It's pretty good tea.

I never had "Southern" tea so I can't say if it's good as that but I like it.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:43 PM

1,541 posts, read 3,992,241 times
Quote:
Buffalo Wing Factory! Believe it or not the best sweet tea I've had here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia