Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2010, 09:08 AM

7 posts, read 24,549 times

Advertisements

Morning!

I have posted once before on here. I am moving to the NoVA area next month from Northern CA. I have done a ton of reading on this site trying to learn about the differences in cities. I am generally a very positive person by nature, and I am looking forward to visiting the area this week for the first time!

I understand that travel soccer clubs are very big in the area. I'm wondering if somebody can give me some insight into the best clubs in the area? My 11 yo son plays and I would love some feedback. Here in CA, there are some very good clubs...and then some very disorganized clubs.

I'm looking forward to returning to the beauty of the tree lines streets on the East Coast and all that this area has to offer. (I have a hard time understanding the tons of negative posts from certain individuals. I think I would find a new hobby. )

I'll also take any advice on the positive side of the cities surrounding DC.

Thanks.

pj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 09:32 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Funny you should mention it....just last week, I got side-swiped by a soccer mom in a gray Honda minivan! She had a SYA decal on the back of the van.

Southwestern Youth Association

Old 12-26-2010, 09:54 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
It would be easier if you narrowed down the area if you know. There is an indoor soccer facility in Manassas but it's not convenient if you are in say Alexandria.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:02 AM

I have seen the indoor facility online in Manassas. It looks really nice!! I've also seen the one in Springfield. It looks nice, but it doesn't look like it offers as many sports as the one in Manassas. My son just started playing futsal and he loves it! (He has played regular indoor for while now)
From what I see online, I am very interested in Alexandria, Annandale, Falls Church, Fairfax and Vienna areas. Chantilly looks great too but I think it's pretty far out to commute to DC every day. (not sure yet) Reston looks nice, but not sure on the commute there either. The areas to the northwest look very nice, but very expensive. We will probably be looking for a home in the $500 - $750K range.
Car54- I may be a "soccer Mom", but hopefully not a crazy one. Thanks for the link. I'm checking it out.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:24 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Here's another one...closer in.

Braddock Road Youth Club's Home Page

Old 12-27-2010, 05:01 AM

204 posts, read 666,006 times
My 9 yr old son plays travel soccer with the SYA club (based in Centreville). He previously played for the NVSA club (based in Manassas/Woodbridge areas) both in rec soccer, and a year in travel soccer. SYA is a more competitive club, and we've been very happy with it. The big difference from our previous club is that in SYA ALL the coaches are licensed. They also seem to recruit a number of coaches from England, Scotland, Ireland, Germany, and much of their training and camps are run by Soccer Academy of Manassas.

The two boys' leagues in the area that the clubs play in are NCSL and ODSL. NCSL is the more competitive level (my son's team plays in that), and ODSL is more developmental. If you go to their websites you can see the schedules, which will give you all the soccer clubs in the area, as well as standings and schedules from the fall.

My son's team has started indoor winter training at Travel Network in Manassas and will be playing winter league play called Soccer Fiesta, both run by the previously-mentioned Soccer Academy.

He's played against the teams from the clubs mentioned in the other posts, none of them have left a bad impression on me from a parent standpoint. Since you have experience with travel soccer you probably know the value of licensed coaches, so I'd say to check out the clubs' policies on coaches being licensed.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:41 AM

628 posts, read 1,933,705 times
My son and daughter played Div 1 youth travel soccer (the most competitive club play). It almost doesn't matter where you live in the metro area, you'll find good soccer clubs. The trick is to hook up with a team under that club's umbrella that meets your needs competitively and financially. I make the latter point because every top-flight team will have a paid coach or paid trainer--or both. Your bill can easily exceed four figures annually, not to mention parent costs for travel to out-of-area tournaments, team uniforms, and other extras. Every good team will enroll in an indoor league during winter. Clubs are under the purview of area umbrella organizations, depending on whether the team is for boys or girls. Virtually all boys teams in the area fall under the National Capital Soccer League. If you consult the NCSL website, you should be able to obtain much of the salient info you are after, including the names of the multitude of clubs around here. If your son is very skilled and looking for top-flight competition, there are options offered above club play. The NCSL website can direct you to those.

NCSL

Old 12-28-2010, 05:40 AM

That info. is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much to both of you!! I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia