U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 12:46 PM

31 posts, read 69,731 times

Advertisements

We will be moving from a town house to a single family home in Loudoun county (Sterling to Ashburn) in a few weeks and I'd like to get some recommendations on movers to use. We have a scheduled estimate from JK movers next week. Are there others we should consider that won't cost an arm and a leg?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 12:55 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,200,881 times
We've always used Campbell Moving. It's owned by someone we know.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:05 PM

2,306 posts, read 1,357,039 times
JK Moving and Interstate are good. For a local move, you may want to check out Regal Movers out of Sterling. Stan is the owner and is very nice. We did NOT go with his company only because we were a long distance move and he didn't own his own warehouse. However, he is very nice and honest and I used to work for a real estate agent who would recommend him for local moves.
Good luck! Where is your new home in Ashburn? We just moved from Ashburn to Central VA. We had lived in a single in the Farm. Lovely area!

Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM

515 posts, read 1,506,242 times
We just used Two Marines Moving. They were excellent: on time, no damage, and very hardworking.

Professional Movers Serving Washington DC, Alexandria, Arlington Fairfax & Springfield VA

Old 12-30-2010, 05:18 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,848,515 times
JK Moving has a good reputation, but our experience with it was very mediocre at best.

Two of its movers tried to shove our $4000 treadmill through a door without disassembling it first and damaged both the treadmill and the door frame. And then the driver/foreman took a hammer (!) to our treadmill to disassemble it. My wife saw this and called me over. When I asked the driver to stop hammering the treadmill so I could either find the manual or call the manufacturer, the driver raised his voice at me and told me that if I didn't like his way, I could disassemble it and load it in the truck myself.

And there was much else that went wrong, but I will not bore everyone with the details.

And this was a corporate move. I shudder to think what kind of treatment I would have received had it been an individual move.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:38 AM

20 posts, read 67,443 times
Used JK for 2 local moves and and one long distance and loved, loved, loved them! They were polite and hard working and very professional. Worth any difference in price. We are moving back to the area and my boys are already asking if we can use JK!

Old 12-31-2010, 05:58 PM

18 posts, read 49,343 times
We just used Gentle Giant and loved them. Not cheap, but you pay by the hour, so if you're organized it will go quickly. They were quick and very careful with our furniture.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:00 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,848,515 times
I forgot to mention one more thing about JK Moving. If you look it up on movingscam.com, it is listed as one of the better companies in the area. However, it is also noted that "one or more employees [of JK Moving] posted phony reviews" on the site and that it has quite a few complaints on BBB.

Movingscam.com, especially the master list and the forum, are a great resource for selecting moving companies, by the way.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:03 AM

31 posts, read 69,731 times
Thanks everyone for your great advice. We ended up going with JK Movers and while the actual folks moving the boxes and furniture were fantastic, the sales rep left little to be desired. He tried to overcharge us significantly. Needless to say we won't use them again.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:44 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,755,421 times
I see the OP has already moved, but for future reference we recently used Titan and could not have been happier. A totally different moving experience from what we've had to deal with in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia