U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 PM

2,688 posts, read 5,954,501 times

Advertisements

I'm very sorry this happened to you, RR, but unfortunately things like this happen. I think the best thing is to accept your parents' offer. You can follow up with the woman and try to make her honor your arrangement, but who knows if that will work. This has nothing to do with Virginia or Reston; something similar happened to my husband (decades ago) when he was single and moved here to take a new job before his lease in his original city was up. He did end up having to pay quite a bit of his previous lease along with his new one here. It's frustrating but that's just the way it goes sometimes. Try to think of it as still coming out ahead since you are now in your dream city rather than here, you have supportive parents who are willing to help you out, and you got the job that you really wanted .

Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 AM

4,771 posts, read 4,022,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
What lesson would I have learned? I drafted up my own contract with a lot of "legalese" covering any and all of our fiduciary obligations so I wouldn't get burned by her just cutting and running (as she has). If I took this on Judge Judy and showed her the signed and dated contract, along with having the leasing consultant who witnessed our joint signing/dating serve as a witness to testify, then I don't see how I would lose the case. Her signature and date are on the contract with me and the contract with the community. My leasing consultant was present and guided us through the process.
You might have learned not to pull shenanigans such as you're trying with all of this. You signed a contract and are now trying to find a loophole to get out of it. Do you think the renting company is looking for everyone to do this? The original agreement goes something like - "We will provide exclusive use of said property for lease period, lessee will pay monthly for use of such property for lease period. Period." Seems simple enough. Moderator Cut
Quote:
$3,000 may be a drop in the bucket for some in NoVA, but I can't afford that (especially not with the salary I was making relative to my fixed expenditures). The entire point of me locating a suitable (or whom I presumed to be a suitable) replacement for me to occupy my apartment in Reston as a co-lessee was because I wanted to be responsible in NOT just "stiffing" the complex. Moderator Cut I couldn't SURVIVE living in Reston until May 2011. Moderator Cut I don't just abandon my obligations, though. I'm preparing to use my retirement savings as collateral to reimburse my former employer for my sign-on bonus. I gave them a full two-week's notice before my departure and offered to train a replacement. I worked side-by-side with my leasing consultant through the entire process of securing this replacement tenant. She was "vetted" by them and passed a background and credit check.
You should have considered that $3K before entering into the agreement or before pulling this move. You *could* survive in Reston until May 2011. Contrary to what you protray, it's not Abu Ghraib.

Quote:
I did everything "right". Why should I have learned from this as if I made a mistake? My only mistake was moving to NoVA in the first place. Now I STILL can't "escape", and it's completely ruined my holiday season. Moderator Cut
Life's not an episode of Judge Judy.Moderator Cut Your enjoyment of the holiday season is not an issue when it comes to meeting the terms of a contract you've signed. There's no escape clause for Christmas.

Consider it all a lesson. Don't make decisions based in such emotional BS again. If (or more like *when*) you do, be prepared to pony up the cost.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-02-2011 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: personal attacks

Old 01-02-2011, 08:32 AM

509 posts, read 854,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
You might have learned not to pull shenanigans such as you're trying with all of this. You signed a contract and are now trying to find a loophole to get out of it. Do you think the renting company is looking for everyone to do this? The original agreement goes something like - "We will provide exclusive use of said property for lease period, lessee will pay monthly for use of such property for lease period. Period." Seems simple enough. Now you want to introduce all of your personal drama into the mix and find a way out of your obligation.

You should have considered that $3K before entering into the agreement or before pulling this move. You *could* survive in Reston until May 2011. Contrary to what you protray, it's not Abu Ghraib.

Life's not an episode of Judge Judy. Quit feeding the drama lama. Your enjoyment of the holiday season is not an issue when it comes to meeting the terms of a contract you've signed. There's no escape clause for Christmas.

Consider it all a lesson. Don't make decisions based in such emotional BS again. If (or more like *when*) you do, be prepared to pony up the cost.
Excellent post. In today's litigious society far too many people aren't willing to own up to their own mistakes and want to sue sue sue for even the slightest perceived harm, i.e. "emotional distress".

Old 01-02-2011, 08:37 AM

170 posts, read 513,697 times
Moderator Cut

clean that place up, hire marry maids and post an ad on craigslist

that's what i did and someone called and signed a 12mo lease with my landlord in less than 24 hours -im out

Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-02-2011 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 01-02-2011, 10:45 AM

4,771 posts, read 4,022,143 times
Quote:
I'm just so stressed and confused at this point. Northern Virginia really does ruin people's lives. Reston really is just the "gift that keeps on giving". I should just sue the whole darn census designated place for emotional distress at this point.
The bolded text seems to pretty well sum it up. Who will you sue because you're an emotional wreck?

Quote:
Regardless, though, as the contract is written SHE is financially responsible, not me, for rent.
No, you, as signer of the current lease contract for the period, are responsible.

RR, I doubt you're going to be any happier in Pittsburgh than you were here.

I'm from Pittsburgh. Cut me and I'll bleed black and gold. A few years back, after having lived here for over a decade, I was dating a girl there. Every Friday night I'd drive up, spend the weekend with her, and drive back here on Sunday afternoon. Did it ever occur to you to do the same thing? (Not date a girl, I mean, but you know...) You could have done that until May, had plenty of time to explore the area, find where you want to live, find a job, dip your wick every weekend, etc., then make the move when you legal obligations here were satisfied. Instead you made a impulsive choice to move while YOU still have an active lease here. So, stop whining, pay up and live with it. You made a mistake. So what? There will probably be other mistakes in your future, some more expensive, some not - learn from them. Man up, because Mommy and Daddy won't always be able to bail you out.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,855,154 times
Quote:
I'm just so stressed and confused at this point. Northern Virginia really does ruin people's lives. Reston really is just the "gift that keeps on giving". I should just sue the whole darn census designated place for emotional distress at this point.
You're angry with a person from California. It's a personal matter between two people, neither of whom live here. Did Reston sublet the apartment from you? No. Did Northern Virginia? No. Is your gripe with the apartment complex? No. You're angry with a person who doesn't live here. So, while it would be amusing to see what would happen if you did try suing the Reston Association for your emotional distress, I think it might be healthier to realize your anger has nothing to do with us.

Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-02-2011 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: off-topic comments

Old 01-02-2011, 12:09 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,055,106 times
While some reasonable advice has been given by some it seems that others have taken the opportunity to unleash personal attacks as well. At this point, it appears that there have been enough iterations of the former given that it's best to avoid any more of the latter.

Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or