U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 06:36 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,840,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Those are New Yorkers.....the long island kind.....90% of the state wants to dump them in the ocean...
Hahaha I can sympathize--that's how I feel about what's-her-face Salahi "representing us" on Real Housewives of DC. All I can say is thank god the show isn't called Real Housewives of Nova!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 06:37 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,840,551 times
Getting back to NJ, some parts are really pretty. I wouldn't mind living in Cape May (if only the taxes weren't so outrageous).

Old 01-02-2011, 07:01 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,751,149 times
I've just moved from NJ to NoVa. Love it here!

BUT, also, NJ is a state w/ a LOT of people and lots of areas diff. from one another. There's the NJ near NYC, there's the southern Shore, there's the west near Philly, the northwest near northern PA, the farms in the central south, etc.

I'm from South Jersey, which is a totally diff. animal from the rest of the state. It is SO not The Sopranos, Jersey Shore, whatnot.
And anyone who bases their opinion of any place on
(1) a fictional TV show, and
(2) a "reality" show
has something to learn.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:50 PM

2,380 posts, read 3,862,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Hahaha I can sympathize--that's how I feel about what's-her-face Salahi "representing us" on Real Housewives of DC. All I can say is thank god the show isn't called Real Housewives of Nova!
Hey, my family is proud of Warren County's most famous residents!

And yeah, the Jersey Shore folks are all from NY except one. Come on, that's like calling us Marylanders or something.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 AM

29 posts, read 114,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I've just moved from NJ to NoVa. Love it here!

BUT, also, NJ is a state w/ a LOT of people and lots of areas diff. from one another. There's the NJ near NYC, there's the southern Shore, there's the west near Philly, the northwest near northern PA, the farms in the central south, etc.
I lived in NJ for the first 18 years of my life. I think the above is an important thing to consider, since different parts of NJ can be vastly different. Which part of NJ were you considering moving to?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:25 AM

3,504 posts, read 7,921,971 times
I have lived in both places and like Jersey better - but it might be because I fit in there - I am outgoing, friendly and approcachable. Here in NOVA people are more reserved and competitive.
Jersey Shore is nothing like the jersey shore - those are the Staten Islanders we made fun of. The Jersey shore is beautiful and family friendly - I really miss the beach - it takes 3 hours in horrible traffic to get to a beach in NOVA - when I lived near Princeton NJ it took 45 minutes.

Parts of Jersey have bad traffic but NOTHING like the horror of NOVA traffic - the part of Jersey I lived in (Mercer county) was not as urban and crowded as here.

Jersey taxes are horrible but it food, housing, and other essentials are cheaper than in NOVA.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:41 AM

2,116 posts, read 2,900,883 times
I lived in central New Jersey for 7 years and is now living in NoVa. I would choose NoVa, hands down. Housing prices are more or less the same, traffic is more or less the same (ok, NoVa is probably a bit worse than central Jersey traffic in rush hour), but taxes are generally cheaper in NoVa.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 AM

5,071 posts, read 8,619,412 times
It's kind of difficult to compare a region to an entire state, no?

I'd say NoVa is most comparable to the South Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia and perhaps some of the western counties of NJ like Hunterdon, though NoVa has lower taxes and worse traffic, and generally has more attractive homes.

OTOH, lots of South Jersey is quite rural, and then there are parts of Central and North Jersey that have the nice downtowns (Princeton, Montclair, Maplewood, Westfield, etc.) and older SFHs from the 1920s and 1930s that lots of people search in vain to find here (pockets of Alexandria and the Town of Vienna notwithstanding). Plus, you have places like Hoboken and Jersey City that offer an urban alternative to NYC close to Manhattan that's a bit more intense than anything in Arlington or Alexandria.

I lived in NJ for several years, and also miss decent hoagies and the short drive to the beach. Apart from Cape May, however, I'd take the Outer Banks over the Jersey Shore.

Last edited by JD984; 01-03-2011 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-03-2011, 02:43 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,777,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haeugene View Post
my family (with two kids) are considering those two places to move in. could you share something about those area, please?
As others have mentioned, an entire State cannot be compared to a region of the DC-suburbs. And we know nothing of your proposed career, budget, choice of environment, etc. NJ is a diverse state, for such a small one. Maybe you are thinking of Northern NJ-outside of New York?

I am originally from NJ and still have family and property there so return there alot. There are pros and cons of both places, as those have mentioned, regarding taxes, types of food, etc. Can't speak for north Jersey but the people in South Jersey are far friendlier than NoVA. In fact, I live in Winchester, VA and the people here remind me alot of South Jerseyans.

Jersey Shore is entertainment. Only 2 of the 8 kids are from NJ; the rest are from NY, CT and Rhode Island. There are some aspects about the show that are spot-on: those boardwalk t-shirt shops, booty shorts, and tees with iron-on slogans, clubbing and dancing, fist fights, the food, the language, the stripper-like clothes (but shore clothes are indeed skimpy), and the idea of a group of young people who rent out a house during the summer. Since I'm familiar with most of this stuff I find it hilarious. While most people think it's the trash-aspect that gets its ratings (it is the #1 highest-rated show on TV), critics argue that the characters' spontaneity (unscripted) and unique cultural aspects contribute to its success.

BTW, some of don't mind the bump its, hair extensions, big earrings, and pizza. But it's just a show and not truly representative of everyone from NJ.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:13 AM
vsn

12 posts, read 28,342 times
Moved to NoVa last year after living in Central NJ for 10 years. NoVa wins hands down. Traffic and housing more or less the same. Have come across a lot more nicer and friendlier folks in Nova. The drivers on the road are less rude compared to central NJ. Like earlier posters mentioned, found a lot of like minded people here. Guess we are more of the suburban type. Except for a few pockets in Princeton and Bridgwater, most areas in Central NJ lacked the sense of community that I have found in Reston/Ashburn. From our experience, NoVa is a mecca for families with small kids. But we still miss NYC and NJ Transit ( was always cribbing about it back there). Only realized the advantages of a public rail system for a region after coming here. Another minus for Nova, lack of financial firms in the regions. So if you are employed in the Wall Street/Financial industry, job market in the same industry is considerably less. The only options being, Fannie, Freddie, and Capital One.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia