U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:26 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,614,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketweave View Post
By round-abouts if you mean circles - there are very few left in NJ. You might mean "jug-handles" - only in NJ do you make a right to go left.
That's probably why I enjoyed driving in NJ so much - I couldn't keep my "round-abouts" and "jug-handles" straight!

In some towns, as I recall, there was also diagonal parking in the middle of the street, so you had to be ready for someone to try and take advantages of a parking opportunity with relatively little advance notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 06:07 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,310,508 times
Quote:
By round-abouts if you mean circles - there are very few left in NJ. You might mean "jug-handles" - only in NJ do you make a right to go left.
Theres still 30 in NJ , alot of them are being upgraded and the state is still building them....as for jug handles...its a Jersey thing and works just fine...

Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,774,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I couldn't keep my "round-abouts" and "jug-handles" straight!
LOL, that sounds like a line from a Jenny Craig commercial...

Old 01-10-2011, 06:54 AM

3,878 posts, read 5,332,784 times
Quote:
Jug-handles? I've never heard that term. Can you explain how they work -- right turn to go left? I'm thoroughly confused.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 AM

42 posts, read 89,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Jug-handles? I've never heard that term. Can you explain how they work -- right turn to go left? I'm thoroughly confused.
If you want to make a left at an intersection instead of there being a left turn lane in the middle of the road you pass the intersection and take a loop from the right lane putting you on the new road running perpendicular to the road you were just on.

The worst jug handle in Jersey is on Rt. 37 East getting onto Hooper Ave. That one wraps around a bunch of stores and is always backed up. A left turn lane would be so much easier!!!

Last edited by Basketweave; 01-10-2011 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 AM

509 posts, read 853,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I'm surprised no one has said anything about the round-abouts in NJ and how, if you miss an exit or aren't allowed by other drivers to get in the right lane, you may have to drive miles for the next one.

But again, good hoagies and lots of people who grew up in homes where everyone raised their voice and spoke their mind.

High taxes, good hoagies and people who speak their mind - it almost sounds like a political platform. Either that or "you're never too far from the next borough or township in Jersey."
Oh yes, I forgot all about the roundabouts!

I do miss the good hoagies though - the "subs" here in NOVA don't compare to them at all. Same with the pizza, for that matter.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:00 AM

509 posts, read 853,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Theres still 30 in NJ , alot of them are being upgraded and the state is still building them....as for jug handles...its a Jersey thing and works just fine...
As far as I know Pennington Circle still exists in Pennington, NJ where a bunch of roads come together. Not sure how that one could be easily eliminated. I think they did get rid of a major one on US 1 near New Brunswick. Also, not sure if the one on US 1 near Trenton still exists.

As to the jughandles, they aren't as bad as traffic circles as long as you know about them and are in right lane instead of the left lane. There's still plenty along US 1 and many other major roads in NJ.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
Oh yes, I forgot all about the roundabouts!

I do miss the good hoagies though - the "subs" here in NOVA don't compare to them at all. Same with the pizza, for that matter.
I haven't found a decent "sub" around here, but I think Pomodoros in Fairfax Town Center makes pizza as good as any I have had in North Jersey.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
As far as I know Pennington Circle still exists in Pennington, NJ where a bunch of roads come together. Not sure how that one could be easily eliminated. I think they did get rid of a major one on US 1 near New Brunswick. Also, not sure if the one on US 1 near Trenton still exists.
Two circles on 70 have or are being turned into regular intersections. There is still a circle at the intersection of 70 and 72.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-10-2011 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 01-11-2011, 03:08 AM

997 posts, read 1,432,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Different people have different experiences with NoVA's social scene. I'm a very kind person, even though most on this sub-forum think I'm the spawn of Satan because of my well-known verbosity and preachiness about urban sprawl. I always tried so hard to be considerate, amicable, and outgoing in NoVA, and I never found a "niche" after a year-and-a-half. I stopped attending church when I gleaned the sense that some were capitalizing upon my bout of depression as a means merely to feel better about themselves in comparison. How Christian. Eventually I just began to fully distance myself mentally from Reston and set my heart in Pittsburgh, and I've been blessed that this city has been everything I knew it would be (and then some) as I feel like I "belong" here already. The people here aren't "fake" (i.e. none of this "I'll hold back and act sterile until I glean whether this new person could benefit me or my family somehow"). The people here don't care that I have a high IQ and a college degree and now deliver fruit for a living while I KNOW I'd be judged "behind the scenes" in NoVA for voluntarily being underemployed. I have yet to hear one "Don't you know who I am?!!" rant after overhearing several in NoVA being spouted from self-important and pompous jerks.

With that being said while I'll NEVER forgive Fairfax County's deplorably cutthroat, spoiled, and vain social scene for "grounded" 20-somethings NoVA had MANY assets that shouldn't be taken for granted. The entire area is a gelatinous suburb, yet natural vegetation has largely been kept intact wherever possible, especially in Reston. One of the most depressing things about Pittsburgh is taking a drive along Business Route 22 to the east of town in the suburb of Monroeville where you see no trees and nothing but parking lots and neon signs for various chain restaurants and big-box stores for miles. The weather is much better in NoVA, too. The sun nearly never comes out here (and that's not an exaggeration). Pittsburgh is the "Seattle of the East". I don't mean to veer in a NoVA vs. Pittsburgh tangent, but there definitely are quite a few strengths NoVA has that I never fully gave it credit for before relocating. I'll never give it a "free pass" either, though, on its lack of walkable traditional downtown areas. The Town of Vienna? Seriously? No offense to michgc, but no Pennsylvanian or New Jerseyite accustomed to Princeton, New Hope, Honesdale, Bellefonte, Hoboken, or a slew of other communities with true mixed-use and walkable features would consider Vienna to be in the same league. Old Town Alexandria is the only thing NoVA has to offer like that, and that is reserved exclusively for the affluent while we peons who earned sub-$50k salaries had to live in a place like Reston, which still had no traditional center roughly 50 years after being founded.
I don't think you are the spawn of Satan, but I think you are hypocritical at times. I tried to reach out to you, since I was also new to the area and you kind of blew me off. A place can only shape your personality so much, especially in this day an age when people are more mobile and often move around a lot. I moved to NoVa and I'm still the same down the earth guy from a small town in NC. :-) As far as NJ vs. NoVa, my friend who is also from my hometown moved around the same time I did here to NJ/NYC, so I've been up there a lot, lol. I love the city and the whole urban and historical fill of NJ and NYC, along with the transit, which is almost perfect with commuter trains running around the clock and on the weekends. I just don't like the tolls and taxes though.

I honestly don't think it's fair to compare NoVa and NJ, because a lot of their towns grew at different periods. Most of NoVa's growth is recent and is more in line with Sunbelt cities. Plus the politics in these two states are different. NJ is more of a progressive state, which doesn't mind increasing taxes and providing more services to its citizens, while Virginia is more conservative with lower taxes and less services which there are good and bad sides to both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia