Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:11 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,204,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
As the article says: "It's also a broader test to see whether a business that caters to gay men and lesbians can succeed and gain mainstream acceptance in a town that was once featured in a book on the 100 "Best Places to Raise Your Family" in the United States."
I don't know. As someone who grew up in a much smaller city, I agree with previous statements that a bigger deal is being made about than need be. A suburban gay bar is nothing new. Most major cities have small suburban gay bars. Then you have small cities and towns that have gay bars. Move away from the idea that all gay people live in the District or Arlington. I've been to a gay bar in downtown Columbus, GA and it didn't indicate that Columbus of all places was all of sudden gay friendly. Or better yet during the holidays I went to a gay hole-in-wall in a seedier part of Columbus, GA. Trust me that neighborhood ain't gentrifying anytime soon just because there's a gay bar there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
This is more of a comment about the journalist/story than anything posted here, but I couldn't believe that a Washington Post reporter in 2011 would make it sound like there was any sort of dichotomy or innate tension between "good place to raise a family" and "good place for LGBT people".

As to what sort of effect this is going to have on Herndon...aside from surprising a lot of people, I'm not expecting much. The bar exists because there is already an LGBT community in western Fairfax and eastern Loudoun, many of whom work in the tech sector. I don't think it will cause an influx of gay people to move to Herndon and "gentrify" it, or cause anyone to leave Herndon, or anything else. Cynically, I don't even think that the bar will last, but that's just me.
Yeah the article was overflowing with stereotypes wasn't it. The Asian guy was "straight as a chop stick". Really? The bar is going to cater gay men so they needed to buy "fruit flavored" Michelob lites. Again, really???

I don't know though. I see the skepticism about it lasting. But it might surprise you Stephen. Its created a buzz and the article is really going to help.

There are thousands upon thousands of gay folks in that part of NoVA. Many of whom are in the suburbs for the same reason that straight people are: jobs in the Dulles corridor, quieter environment, lower cost of living, etc.

Quote:
To not understand my comment about gentrification is to not understand my post. In an emerging area (traditionally black inner city), a gay bar is almost always going to be a good thing. In established Herndon, that does suffer a reputation problem from illegal immigration, I'm not sure if it will detract more.

To say again, an influx of (gay) money and a reputation for trendiness, could be a good thing. I dunno.
There are black gay bars too. Some of them are in trendy areas but often they're right in the hood. I've been to a couple of those hood gay bars and they're just like any bar or club in a bad neighborhood. There are pat downs at the door and plenty of downlow thuggish types or better yet married guys cruising the parking lot.

So a gay bar alone definitely doesn't mean trendiness. Also I've been to a bar in the middle of a field in Alabama.

Quote:
This video about that bar is pretty good for illustrative purposes. Fairfax County's first gay bar builds a following in Herndon

I'm actually kind of surprised that the county hasn't been able to support a gay bar before. Overall, and I'm sure it's rounded, FC has one-percent of households as same-sex couples. That's 100,000 households, not individuals, depending on rounding, for one bar!

Anyway, not knowing the history, I hope that the owners have or will open a dialogue with the community and listen to concerns. Not having a moral complaint, I think its just about being good neighbors.

I like how RTC is going, and I'd like for Herndon to have a successful downtown too.
I'm surprised there aren't more suburban gay bars as well. Although not all of Fairfax county or even Northern Virginia will be attending this bar though. I'm curious but Herndon is just so far. I'm much closer to the bars of DC as are other Fairfax county residents particularly those inside the beltway.

Why is a dialouge needed though? A straight bar doesn't have to have a "dialogue". A straight bar just has to apply for a liquor license and keep the noise to a minimum.

At the end of the day its just one bar. People who live in the Dulles corridor get tired of having schlep all the way into the District or Arlington just to have a drink and hit on a random drunk guy/gal. As more and more jobs move to the VA burbs everyone including gay folks will follow so now seems like a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I looked at the flag and it didn't seem tacky to me. In fact, I like how it adds a little bit of color and cheerfulness to what is otherwise a bland building. It's not like they have a 40-foot neon sign. There aren't any lurid murals on the walls or suggestive posters in the window.

The city hall is in view of lots of buildings. Among them is a thrift shop. I suppose that could be considered a tacky thing to look at, but nobody seems to mind it. There's also a florist shop that sometimes puts out a flag (especially in the spring). Their flags have been known to include tulips and rainbows. Nobody objects to that.
Very good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:25 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,952,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I don't know. As someone who grew up in a much smaller city, I agree with previous statements that a bigger deal is being made about than need be. A suburban gay bar is nothing new. Most major cities have small suburban gay bars. Then you have small cities and towns that have gay bars. Move away from the idea that all gay people live in the District or Arlington.
Good point.

Quote:
Why is a dialouge needed though? A straight bar doesn't have to have a "dialogue". A straight bar just has to apply for a liquor license and keep the noise to a minimum.
Even better point.

Quote:
At the end of the day its just one bar. People who live in the Dulles corridor get tired of having schlep all the way into the District or Arlington just to have a drink and hit on a random drunk guy/gal. As more and more jobs move to the VA burbs everyone including gay folks will follow so now seems like a good time.
More good points. Boy, Terrence, you are really hitting some home runs today!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I think RTC would be a good venue for something like this, since there are already so many places to eat and drink over there, but maybe they are somehow afraid of ruining their "family friendly" rep?
IMO it's simply a matter of rent. RTC charges an arm and a leg, which is why you mostly see the upscale chains over there. Herndon's rents are lower, so mom-and-pop businesses find it easier to get started there. (LOL, instead of a mom-and-pop business, maybe this would be a pop-and-pop business. )

Old 01-05-2011, 11:03 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,159,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
IMO it's simply a matter of rent. RTC charges an arm and a leg, which is why you mostly see the upscale chains over there. Herndon's rents are lower, so mom-and-pop businesses find it easier to get started there. (LOL, instead of a mom-and-pop business, maybe this would be a pop-and-pop business. )
you are probably right. My husband made that point to me when I told him I thought a place like My Gym or Little Gym or the like would be a great addition over there. I'm a huge fan of At Play Cafe in Hunter Woods and the bounce house places in Sterling. It seems like the right demographic at RTC, but the rent issue is probably the biggest deterrent.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,495,422 times
I just hope this enables the Northern VA gay community to reach its recruiting target for 2011.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Good point.

Even better point.

More good points. Boy, Terrence, you are really hitting some home runs today!
Aw shucks thanks. I'm gonna blush.

Quote:
I haven't been to So Addictive just heard about it, but again just from my experience with suburban and small town gay bars, its not going to be flashy like some bars and clubs in the city. Suburban gay bars tend to be tucked away in a very non-descript strip malls. A start up business particularly in a market as fickle as nightlife let alone even fickler gay nightlife, just isn't going to be able to afford the high rents of Reston.

Quote:
you are probably right. My husband made that point to me when I told him I thought a place like My Gym or Little Gym or the like would be a great addition over there. I'm a huge fan of At Play Cafe in Hunter Woods and the bounce house places in Sterling. It seems like the right demographic at RTC, but the rent issue is probably the biggest deterrent.
Yeah folks are not going to care about that. I've never been to many small town or rural gay bars that were flashy or even in the hottest location. In a small town discretion key. Herndon won't have the issue of having to hide or have DL guys looking both ways when stepping out the door. However, that one guy driving in from more rural areas might appreciate a place that's more low key. I've met a few country boys that can't stand DC but come to the city because of a lack of options so I"m sure this will attract the anti-city types in Winchester or Front Royal.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM

I would imagine having a gay bar at that intersection would be good business for Jimmy's, too, since it helps make that intersection a place with a "go to" reputation. I can imagine people would show up to check out the new bar, then realize it's a gay bar and instead head to Jimmy's, the Ice House, or the little funky restaurants on Lynn Street. They're all within a block or two of each other.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I would imagine having a gay bar at that intersection would be good business for Jimmy's, too, since it helps make that intersection a place with a "go to" reputation. I can imagine people would show up to check out the new bar, then realize it's a gay bar and instead head to Jimmy's, the Ice House, or the little funky restaurants on Lynn Street. They're all within a block or two of each other.
Perhaps for a little while but eventually the hub bub will end and it'll be just another random bar. Which isn't exactly a bad thing.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:57 PM

461 posts, read 906,207 times
Quote:
Please excuse my ignorance as I have not yet read the article, but did it make any mention of the Catholic school and church that is right down the road? Just wondering if they have made any noise about this.
I was wondering that too. The responses on CD have been great, but they can't be terribly representative of the community.

All of those inclined to comment on moral grounds probably long ago suffered their timeouts and moved on to other message boards.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:01 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,828,599 times
Quote:
The responses on CD have been great, but they can't be terribly representative of the community.
Why would you say that?

Last edited by normie; 01-05-2011 at 02:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia