Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:00 PM

461 posts, read 909,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Why would you say that?
Are you familiar with the Catholic view on the topic? Are you familiar with CD's TOS and its implementation? What's not to get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 02:06 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,116 times
FYI, the bar has just about the best PR firm to plant that story in the Post. First, the story that is supposed to be a big deal because it is the first full time gay bar in Fairfax County. The story then notes that gay themed nights are common at many suburban bars.

Then it goes on to say that the bar will keep its Metal Monday day.

So basically, it is NOT a full time gay bar. I bet if the story was "Part-time Gay Bar Adding Additional Gay Themed Nights" there would be no Post article and no one outside of the west Fairfax gay community would have ever heard of that bar.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
FYI, the bar has just about the best PR firm to plant that story in the Post. First, the story that is supposed to be a big deal because it is the first full time gay bar in Fairfax County. The story then notes that gay themed nights are common at many suburban bars.

So basically, it is NOT a full time gay bar. I bet if the story was "Part-time Gay Bar Adding Additional Gay Themed Nights" there would be no Post article and no one outside of the west Fairfax gay community would have ever heard of that bar.
LOL, plus blogs and forums like us are giving it plenty of PR. To which I say "Well done, owners of the bar!" I like to see new businesses like this get a good start.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:16 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Are you familiar with the Catholic view on the topic?
Yes, I am. As a person who was raised catholic I'm also aware that many American catholics have views that are different from the official stance of the church. Also, I don't think the majority of Herndon residents are catholic.

Quote:
Are you familiar with CD's TOS and its implementation? What's not to get?
?????? How do the words "Why would you say that?" violate TOS?

Old 01-05-2011, 02:23 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,243,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post

That's a very good point. I had heard of the bar but again with it being in Herndon there's no need for me to go. But all this talk has me at least curious to see what the good word is.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM

660 posts, read 1,705,223 times
Quote:
Are you familiar with the Catholic view on the topic? Are you familiar with CD's TOS and its implementation? What's not to get?
The Catholic view is that all sex outside of marriage is bad, but that celibate gay people are fine. Yes, people will be meeting at this bar and going home together, but that is no different from any other bar. Well, except that this one probably provides free contraceptives, which I suppose is a big no no.

Why would you think that most Catholics toe the Catholic Church's line on this issue, anyhow? I know plenty of people who attend Catholic mass (in NoVA, no less!) and who support same-sex marriage, let alone the existence of gay bars.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:35 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,128 times
and I honestly only asked the question in the first place because I just figured out a couple months ago that school and church were in that neighborhood because we're considering the school as an option for our daughter next year if we're still in NoVA. Of course, we are total heathens, and I 100% support equal rights for the LGBT community. I was just genuinely curious...

Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 PM

461 posts, read 909,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I 100% support equal rights for the LGBT community
"LGBT" Maybe you're a little too politically correct for Catholic school. Trust me, you won't like what they come back saying.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:13 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
Gay bars don't just have gay customers. Lord knows I've been to enough gay bars in D.C. and elsewhere to meet up with friends both gay and straight.

I think the reason that there aren't many gay bars in NoVA (especially beyond the Beltway) is that people who live in the 'burbs tend to be older and coupled up. Almost all of my gay friends in Loudoun are in their 30s and 40s and are in long-term relationships. Many of them co-own their homes with their partners. If they go out after work, they go to Ned's or Sweetwater or wherever else their co-workers are going for happy hour. Sometimes on weekends they might go into the city, particularly if it's someone's birthday or another celebration, but generally they're socializing at people's homes or at suburban restaurants, if at all. Whereas my gay friends who live in DC or in Arlington tend to be younger and/or single and they go out in the city, after work and weekend nights.

I think So Addictive will appeal to folks like younger gay singles (tech workers, college students who still live with their parents) who don't want to haul all the way into the city to meet other singles, and straight gay-friendly people like me who think that Tuesday Night Drag Bingo sounds like it would be awesome fun.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:43 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
By the way, here are some photos of Herndon. Does this look like a poor neighborhood that needs gentrification to you?
Well, the lawn in photo 1 is too long. Is that a good reason?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia