U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 03:46 PM

461 posts, read 795,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Gay bars don't just have gay customers. Lord knows I've been to enough gay bars in D.C. and elsewhere to meet up with friends both gay and straight.

I think the reason that there aren't many gay bars in NoVA (especially beyond the Beltway) is that people who live in the 'burbs tend to be older and coupled up. Almost all of my gay friends in Loudoun are in their 30s and 40s and are in long-term relationships. Many of them co-own their homes with their partners. If they go out after work, they go to Ned's or Sweetwater or wherever else their co-workers are going for happy hour. Sometimes on weekends they might go into the city, particularly if it's someone's birthday or another celebration, but generally they're socializing at people's homes or at suburban restaurants, if at all. Whereas my gay friends who live in DC or in Arlington tend to be younger and/or single and they go out in the city, after work and weekend nights.

I think So Addictive will appeal to folks like younger gay singles (tech workers, college students who still live with their parents) who don't want to haul all the way into the city to meet other singles, and straight gay-friendly people like me who think that Tuesday Night Drag Bingo sounds like it would be awesome fun.
Cool. I'd like to have younger people start to see this area as a destination. I actually like the idea of a gay bar because it's something interesting in a somewhat dull area. (I'll never be happy as I wish every place could be Arlington or DC with a half acre lot yard for me.)

It's a decent location, and put in a Metro station in a few years, and downtown Herndon could be downright cool.

Don't expect me to visit a gay bar on straight night though. My friends might not know the schedule .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 03:47 PM

628 posts, read 1,723,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
And yes, I'll be the one to say it so no one else does: it's unfortunate that one of our more prolific members is no longer in the area as this bar would have been received as a godsend. (No off-topic comments, please. )
You read my mind!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:06 PM

104 posts, read 183,439 times
Personally, I am outraged!

Replace the drag queens with a rainbow of muscle studs (ebony to ivory) and I might be interested. Just donít make the cover too high. lol

Old 01-05-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restoner View Post
Personally, I am outraged!

Replace the drag queens with a rainbow of muscle studs (ebony to ivory) and I might be interested. Just donít make the cover too high. lol
That's disgusting. I like bartenders in neon shorts!

Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 PM

104 posts, read 183,439 times
Huh? The muscle studs should be tastefully clothed.

Also, no disrespect to the drag queens, not into drag myself, but best wishes to you.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by restoner View Post
Huh? The muscle studs should be tastefully clothed.

Also, no disrespect to the drag queens, not into drag myself, but best wishes to you.
It was a joke. How could dudes in neon shorts be more decent than anyone else with minimal package covering? Bring the studs on.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:21 PM

7,966 posts, read 18,043,285 times
OK, the jokes about "staff attire" are cute but let's not have this discussion devolve into (potentially stereotypical) "club fashion".

Old 01-06-2011, 06:13 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,801,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
"LGBT" Maybe you're a little too politically correct for Catholic school. Trust me, you won't like what they come back saying.
I held these same views when I attended a Catholic HS...and went to college on Tobacco Road in NC. Whatever they can say to me personally isn't going to phase me.

And we're likely moving by next year - my daughter possibly attending a Catholic school for a year is a stop gap measure to deal with being stuck in a half-day kinder district if we MUST stay here. I actually already applied to the public school immersion prgram for her and am hoping THAT works out instead...

Old 01-07-2011, 02:25 PM

3,315 posts, read 8,775,140 times
I like the idea of the gay bar in Herndon. Like others, the place is in no need of gentrification so I don't see the bar as a response to that.

The article is bombastic, sensationalist, and mentions alot of cliches. Why couldn't the author just write a straight (no pun intended) article about a new business opening, no different if it were a grocery store, hair salon, or spa? Would they have written something in the same manner if it were for seniors, Jews, blacks, special needs, etc.?

What's the big deal about the friggin' rainbow flag? Isn't there a Russian Tea House down there? And The Closet of Herndon (the thrift shop)? A flag falls under the towns regs regarding the posting of signs and other forms of advertising. So if it complies, then there's no big deal. Comparing the rainbow flag to something as derogatory (i.e., a BBQ joint in front of the US Capitol) is insulting and a sophomoric perspective.

As someone previously mentioned, not all patrons to gay bars are gay. I know alot of people who go for the dancing b/c I heard their music is really great. Who knows what other things they're planning--karaoke night, New Years events, etc. In this sense, it would seem well integrated with the community.

I'm glad someone clarified some things about the Catholic Church. Catholics have a wide range in their beliefs. Alot do not conform 100% to the doctrines of the Church regarding marriage (i.e., only marrying another Catholic), pre-marital sex/fornification, confession, Lent and no meat, etc. It's a belief system that is quite flexible and forgiving (again, no pun intended).

Old 01-07-2011, 04:21 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,635,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I'm glad someone clarified some things about the Catholic Church. Catholics have a wide range in their beliefs. Alot do not conform 100% to the doctrines of the Church regarding marriage (i.e., only marrying another Catholic), pre-marital sex/fornification, confession, Lent and no meat, etc. It's a belief system that is quite flexible and forgiving (again, no pun intended).
Also, St. Joseph is staffed by Franciscans (Third Order Regular), not by diocesan priests. Other local parishes not staffed by the diocese include Christ the Redeemer in Sterling (Franciscan Friars of the Atonement), St. John Neumann in Reston (Oblates of St. Francis de Sales), and Our Lady Queen of Peace in Arlington (Holy Ghost Fathers); there may be others that I don't know about. In general, these parishes seem to be more liberal than others in the Diocese of Arlington (which isn't hard, since it is one of the most conservative dioceses in the country). I have attended Mass at St. Joseph on a few occasions, and it seems more liberal than, say, St. Theresa in Ashburn or Our Lady of Hope in Potomac Falls. I seriously doubt that a gay bar would succeed in opening in the Broadlands shopping center around the corner from St. Theresa. I know quite a few people zoned for St. Theresa who attend Mass at CtR or St. John Neumann instead (or, like me, attend Corpus Christi in South Riding, which is a mission of St. Stephen the Martyr in Middleburg) for various reasons having to do with the conservatism and/or atmosphere at St. Theresa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia