Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I know this is meant as a fun thread, but let me use this to riff a bit. If i could make it as big and wide as I want, no constraints, I could lower all of route 7 a la the big dig, and have an urban nabe/parks the entire length of rte 7 through tysons. which would be kinda kewl, but not really what you are looking for, I think. In fact I think the best architecture results, in part, from constraints. Im kinda a modernist that way, though.
I like this idea! Didn't Seattle do this? Took a highway going through downtown and made it a tunnel with a park on top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 02:59 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
lets get back to bridges

I suppose I could advocate for high modernist, to be contextual. But I cant off the top of my head think of a high modernist foot bridge that looks good, perhaps cause the functional constraints are SO simple, theres not really much reason to anything beyond brutalist. So scratch that.

Post modernist with art deco touches. I think that could work, and also fit.

Some more strictly po mo thing without historical references - like lots of glass and lights and stuff. Maybe with a moving sidewalk thrown in somewhere? Make if all technological and fun, with maybe some Frank Gehry type gratuitous twists?

Old 01-05-2011, 03:51 PM

461 posts, read 909,333 times
Interesting. I always enjoy fantasies with normie.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Make if all technological and fun, with maybe some Frank Gehry type gratuitous twists?
That sounds like something that has a "Nova feel." We're a tech oriented town, so a techie bridge would go over really well. My family would get a kick out of it. I can see my kids wanting to go visit something like that, just for the fun of walking over it. Maybe that means it needs to be near parking?

Also, maybe we could incorporate a lot of solar lights to decorate it.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Maybe we could copy the base of the Eiffel Tower. The walkway would be on the first level and would have planters and maybe a few pushcart venders. There would be stairs up to a higher level that would have cafes and kiosks. Above that would be a dome with high tech special effects.

Also, on the top platform there would be a stair way up to the bottom of the dome, where there would be a small observation platform. The view from there could be fabulous.

Just a quick, rough drawing, but this gives an idea of what I was imagining:

Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,048 times
I think a zip line would be fun!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I say we have a pedestrian bridge over Route 123 as one is heading from McLean into Tysons with a lot of topiary. Reflecting our status as a swing state, it could have a donkey on the left, an elephant on the right, and a confused, professional-looking couple in the middle, looking off in different directions.
Topiaries!!!!! I like it!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:56 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Maybe we could copy the base of the Eiffel Tower. The walkway would be on the first level and would have planters and maybe a few pushcart venders. There would be stairs up to a higher level that would have cafes and kiosks. Above that would be a dome with high tech special effects.

Also, on the top platform there would be a stair way up to the bottom of the dome, where there would be a small observation platform. The view from there could be fabulous.

Just a quick, rough drawing, but this gives an idea of what I was imagining:
This one seems good. I wonder what the view would be like, though. Do any of you guys work in Tysons? What's the view like from the top floor of your building? Is it interesting or just more buildings?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:11 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
On a clear day in your car on the hill on 123 you can see the National Cathedral. I imagine you can see more from the top of an office buiding in Tysons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
This one seems good. I wonder what the view would be like, though. Do any of you guys work in Tysons? What's the view like from the top floor of your building? Is it interesting or just more buildings?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:23 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statecollege View Post
I think a zip line would be fun!
if we are gonna do a zip line over a road, I think it has to be over the beltway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia