U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 AM

2,261 posts, read 1,862,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairfaxGuy73 View Post
Yes, that tracks. One more thing is that some area of Vienna have better ES's than others. There's an immigrant population (don't know if they're legal or not) and you'll see police cars around the CVS on Park. Still, again, nice area overall.
From my original post: "only Cunningham Park/Freedom Hill get some concern due to average test scores." Wow, that sure is avoidance/defending my own turf.

An interesting contrast to: "Madison is not in the top 10. Thomas Jefferson is, and Langley is in the top 20, but not Madison. I don't have time to go to GS but people should go there instead of listen to people defend their own turf." (I'm not really sure what "top 10" or "top 20" you were referring to here. Were you?)

The Vienna Park Apartments are the source of most of Cunningham Park's relatively higher poverty (still 20% FRL is not in se cause for alarm).

Maybe for a couple blocks around there, it's not as good as the rest of town, and in general the parts of town south of Kingsley are a little more run down than the parts north of Kingsley. OTOH, zoning to Thoreau/Madison is going to keep at least some interest alive in far south Vienna.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 AM

8,479 posts, read 5,462,712 times
OMG! places with a few poorer folks have lower average test scores.

DW and I were talking about our doc, who used to be on the wash mag list of top docs, but has dropped off the list. DW joked he should ask the principle of TJ how to stay on the top of mag lists. I said, yeah, he should just be more selective in who he takes as patients, so he gets better results

I mean I would have issues sending my kid to a real low test score school, cause it might be a bad environment in other ways. ANd I will state that there are lots of great unique things about TJ.

But when you are basically comparing two FCPS suburban elementary schools, both in basically upper middle class areas, and the diff in test scores is that one is 10-15% immigrants, and the other is zero immigrants, I think deciding where to live based on that is kind of silly.

Maybe I am misreading y'all.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:52 AM

changes in Rosslyn

Under Construction | Rosslyn BID & Rosslyn Renaissance

whole site looks interesting

Old 01-06-2011, 07:59 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,676,061 times
Alicia - I thought you'd decided Fairfax City was the place to be. So why ask now about Vienna and Rosslyn (which are about as different as two NoVa communities can be)? What is it that you are now looking for that Fairfax City doesn't provide? I assume you are in the same "place" as before - you don't really want to live here, but work in a field that requires you to be here.

If you just want to vent, that's certainly OK, but if you actually want advice you might want to elaborate a bit.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 AM

461 posts, read 498,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
OMG! places with a few poorer folks have lower average test scores.
It's really up to what you want. Some people seek diverse areas. I'm not a fan if they're low income. I was going to mention that the area where I see the foot-bound types are along Shreve starting from Park Ave (the intersection where the CVS is) down to Merrifield (Door Ave.). You can see apartments in the area.

I agree about smarter students bring grades up. I've heard that teachers at Langley get pretty slack at times because they have such a good student population. Just the same, even 10-15 percent low income types is something that I personally like to avoid. Call me snobby or whatever but they will have an influence on your kids and maybe date them. Smart, rich kids are better in my book.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,676,061 times
Quote:
It's really up to what you want. Some people seek diverse areas. I'm not a fan if they're low income. I was going to mention that the area where I see the foot-bound types are along Shreve starting from Park Ave (the intersection where the CVS is) down to Merrifield (Door Ave.). You can see apartments in the area.

I agree about smarter students bring grades up. I've heard that teachers at Langley get pretty slack at times because they have such a good student population. Just the same, even 10-15 percent low income types is something that I personally like to avoid. Call me snobby or whatever but they will have an influence on your kids and maybe date them. Smart, rich kids are better in my book.
Are you referring to the CVS at Cedar and Park Streets in the Town of Vienna? Shreve Road in Falls Church does not intersect with either Park Street in Vienna or Park Ave. in Falls Church.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Call me snobby or whatever but they will have an influence on your kids and maybe date them. Smart, rich kids are better in my book.
If your kids don't seek out other smart cards in HS, then they may not do so after HS, when it matters more. Its especially important that your kids learn to follow their own values and not be easily influenced. Especially if they are going to spend much time with rich kids.

Thank goodness TJ had many smart kids who weren't rich. And of course we have met rich kids around here who aren't that smart.

Certainly we have heard lots of stories of kids having parties with drugs and drinking at big houses in some of the finest nabes in the county. Id be more worried about that kind of influence. I mean how is a kid who can't even speak English going to influence my kid?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:43 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,240,830 times
I've actually lived in both Rosslyn (a brief summer sublet) and Vienna (2 years); and both places during the 1980's. They've probably changed a bit since then. My Rosslyn sublet was $185 per mo. (no, I'm not kidding) and the Orange line ended at Rosslyn. The immediate area was kind of sterile/office park-ish, but I could easily walk to Georgetown. I never really considered it for the long term. Vienna was nice back then, but I never considered it more than a typical suburban community; certainly not the uber-desirable burb that its current hype would lead us to believe. It was pretty much middle-class back then, but this was before the real estate bubbles in the late 80's and 00's. I think it's kind of funny that Vienna is now considered 'McLean south' (which was also a mostly middle-class community until the 80's).

Old 01-06-2011, 01:53 PM

806 posts, read 646,301 times
If you think Clarendon is a dump now based on your standards, you should have seen it in the 80's. I guess it's all in how you look at it. When I lived in Arlington and recently driving through on the weekends, Rosslyn is where people work, not necessarily live. Any time I'm the area and it's not rush hour during the week, it always strikes me as a ghost town and that people live there for it's proximity to DC, not b/c Rosslyn is so great.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:07 PM

660 posts, read 964,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middlin View Post
Any time I'm the area and it's not rush hour during the week, it always strikes me as a ghost town and that people live there for it's proximity to DC, not b/c Rosslyn is so great.
Agreed. I live between Rosslyn and Court House and although the location is great for my needs, the Rosslyn side of things isn't lively in the least. I do like being able to walk across Key Bridge and being on both the Blue and Orange lines, though. Rosslyn is an extremely convenient location, but there's no there there.

Alicia, based on how soulless you find most of NoVA, I'd imagine that you'd be pretty miserable in Rosslyn. I find it soulless, but very livable, and I have a higher tolerance for soullessness than you do. What was wrong with Del Ray or Westover, again? I know neither neighborhood is large, but both have more of the feel that I think you are looking for than Rosslyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia